Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surely levy doesn’t hold all the cards anyway, he is just a puppet for Enic, they are surely the ones who control the money and make the final decision?

I use the disagree button very sparingly, but we have to put up with this rot from the media, really fed up with reading comments like this from our own supporters. I'm pretty pessimistic by nature, but after Wednesday night, I just can't see him going anywhere, certainly not at the end of this season.
Yes I know this can come back to bite me, but for once I have faith in the manager and the chairman to do the right thing for our club.
He ain’t a supporter Mrs P, he is nothing but a troll!

Surely levy doesn’t hold all the cards anyway, he is just a puppet for Enic, they are surely the ones who control the money and make the final decision?
Yup. People tend to forget this. Daniel is not some undisputed dictator. He has a board that has to agree with him, and big papa Joe who can overturn him at any moment.

I have no idea why people have to pitch manager against chairman, blaming one or other when things go wrong or only crediting one of them for our progress. Surely to goodness we need both to work in tandem and do their respective jobs to the best of their ability, which in turn will mean success for the Club, on and off the pitch. This is the modern game - love it or hate it!
I agree wholeheartedly with you, Mrs P.
Levy & Pochettino seem to have a working relationship that's bearing fruit, with the word 'relationship' being key. Levy respects Poch's vision and Poch respects Levy's financial responsibilities. They work well together.
However, many times in the past we've seen the owner/manager relationship either break down, or not exist in the first place (at other clubs). We all know clubs where the owner is a dictator, or where short-term profit is more important than the club itself, or funds are not made available to the manager, resulting in him leaving or getting the sack.
When people get twitchy about Pochettino staying/leaving, it's because we know how fragile and brittle these relationships can be. The fears aren't exactly assuaged by Poch when he actually says he's leaving!

For what it's worth - I'm convinced that leaving is the last thing on his mind. He just gets thoroughly pissed off with repeated stupid questions from journalists, so stupid questions get a stupid answer. His mind is on higher things and he can't be bothered with their games.

I reckon he'll get money for players this summer - just hope his purchases continue to bear fruit.

Last edited:
I keep reading the transcript of that presser mate. And as much as I want to see it differently, Poch is saying openly imo (& any backtracking would make him look a bit stupid, which he isn’t) that the next 5 years for this club can’t be like the last 5 years.

He needs the tools to compete with Klopp, Pep and whoever is in charge at the chavs and the scum.

Put those two things together.

I think his words were quite strong indication that he has to be allowed to do things differently and to my mind that can only mean money because he seems to have an otherwise pretty free reign at the Lane & rightly so.

Have you actually watched the press conference though?

The one where they ask him about leaving and he sarcastically rolls his eyes and says "yes, if we win I leave, if we lose I leave"

I think it's hilarious that people assume that the only way Pochettino can speak to Levy is via press conferences....I'm sure he has his phone number...unless Levy has got one of those £1.50 a minute premium numbers, and Poch is too tight to call him....

I think it's hilarious that people assume that the only way Pochettino can speak to Levy is via press conferences....I'm sure he has his phone number...unless Levy has got one of those £1.50 a minute premium numbers, and Poch is too tight to call him....

He doesn't just want to speak to him in person, he says these things public because he wants pressure from the media and fans to weigh on Levy. He did the same thing at the end of last season with more cryptic comments about how we need to be brave and do things differently etc, this is not new. Whether it will work this time remains to be seen, if we spend big money it will be because Levy thinks it is right to do so, not because Poch put pressure on him.

Yup. People tend to forget this. Daniel is not some undisputed dictator. He has a board that has to agree with him, and big papa Joe who can overturn him at any moment.

Actually he is ... Joe owns over 85% of the shares in ENIC Group his holding company, Daniel owns most of the rest. ENIC Group owns ENIC International Limited which owns 85% of Spurs, Joe gives Daniel his complete authority. So sure there's a board at Spurs, but they answer to Daniel not the other way around.

Of course Joe could overrule him, but seeing as Daniel has turned Joe's 80m investment into close on 2 billion, why would he?

It's so blatant Poch is telling the chairman he wants to be heavily backed in the transfer window why does anyone refute this?
Hhmmm........

MP: "But because I know very well how this business works and we know very well that we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money - when I say operate, it’s not only to say spend money or sell players or buy players.
"To operate differently is to be transparent and way ‘that is what we want’ for the next year, for the next five years, for the next ten years. And start to work hard."

What do you think these words actually mean?

Tottenham will now enjoy a higher than ever revenue stream, well technically we already are as Wembley pushed up matchday by 50%. EVERY form of revenue have increased from TV, commercial, match day etc.. as a result Tottenham will spend. How that revenue is divided up we don't know but on the player side of the business, it will be split between increase on wages and new players (probably those new players in a higher bracket of wages too??).

So much of the clubs resources have been channelled into the stadium, taken away from their day to day jobs aligned to making the club function, these resources can now be reappropriated back to their day to day roles. This is just a small example of us as a club having to do things differently than those we compete with, NO OTHER CLUB WAS BUILDING A STADIUM, all their resources were focused on delivering a team to play football at the weekend. We can now do the same.

We are now in a period where all this changes, where staff get to focus 100% on the jobs they were originally employed to and we employ a ton of new staff to bolster depleted numbers (eg Marketing dept). Just think of the role that Darren Baldwin (in charge of out pitches at stadium and Hotspur Way) has had to do, he's had to dedicate his time towards creating the world first sliding retractable pitch, that alone has taken him all around the world, then digging up pitches at the training centre to create tests, then setting up the pitch in the new stadium....Oh and by the way just create & landscape a garden for the new Lodge complex whilst you are at it. This type of thing has impacted almost everyone job at the club.

I'm going to stop here because this could go on and on for pages but we are in a very different place than where we were 2yrs ago, as a consequence we need a new plan. What got us here was a plan. Only a fucking idiot would assume that there isn't a new one (probably already well on its way).

Hhmmm........

MP: "But because I know very well how this business works and we know very well that we need to operate in a different way - that doesn't mean to spend more or less money - when I say operate, it’s not only to say spend money or sell players or buy players.
"To operate differently is to be transparent and way ‘that is what we want’ for the next year, for the next five years, for the next ten years. And start to work hard."

What do you think these words actually mean?

Tottenham will now enjoy a higher than ever revenue stream, well technically we already are as Wembley pushed up matchday by 50%. EVERY form of revenue have increased from TV, commercial, match day etc.. as a result Tottenham will spend. How that revenue is divided up we don't know but on the player side of the business, it will be split between increase on wages and new players (probably those new players in a higher bracket of wages too??).

So much of the clubs resources have been channelled into the stadium, taken away from their day to day jobs aligned to making the club function, these resources can now be reappropriated back to their day to day roles. This is just a small example of us as a club having to do things differently than those we compete with, NO OTHER CLUB WAS BUILDING A STADIUM, all their resources were focused on delivering a team to play football at the weekend. We can now do the same.

We are now in a period where all this changes, where staff get to focus 100% on the jobs they were originally employed to and we employ a ton of new staff to bolster depleted numbers (eg Marketing dept). Just think of the role that Darren Baldwin (in charge of out pitches at stadium and Hotspur Way) has had to do, he's had to dedicate his time towards creating the world first sliding retractable pitch, that alone has taken him all around the world, then digging up pitches at the training centre to create tests, then setting up the pitch in the new stadium....Oh and by the way just create & landscape a garden for the new Lodge complex whilst you are at it. This type of thing has impacted almost everyone job at the club.

I'm going to stop here because this could go on and on for pages but we are in a very different place than where we were 2yrs ago, as a consequence we need a new plan. What got us here was a plan. Only a fucking idiot would assume that there isn't a new one (probably already well on its way).

Just press the disagree button mate the essay is so long winded.

I keep reading the transcript of that presser mate. And as much as I want to see it differently, Poch is saying openly imo (& any backtracking would make him look a bit stupid, which he isn’t) that the next 5 years for this club can’t be like the last 5 years.

He needs the tools to compete with Klopp, Pep and whoever is in charge at the chavs and the scum.

Put those two things together.

I think his words were quite strong indication that he has to be allowed to do things differently and to my mind that can only mean money because he seems to have an otherwise pretty free reign at the Lane & rightly so.
I agree completely but I don't see that as an issue for Poch or the club. There's a recognition that we have almost gone as far as we can without a few key additions to move us closer to the top 2 clubs.

Just keep ignoring what he actually says, then it would be so utterly tedious.
What do you think this means? Please explain

"It would be very naive to think we can continue to operate as we have done and that it will get us to the Champions League final and the top four every season when we're competing against projects like Liverpool or the Manchester clubs.

"If we are to expect the same from us as from Liverpool, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea, give me different tools to work with.

Its also due to the fact the club is run completely differently these days to say under Redknapp where we might get tasty bits of info thrown at us. The club do not tap up players publically, advertise transfer funds available. It's all done quietly but it leaves some fans with nothing else to think about.

Back
Top Bottom