Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have no idea why people have to pitch manager against chairman, blaming one or other when things go wrong or only crediting one of them for our progress. Surely to goodness we need both to work in tandem and do their respective jobs to the best of their ability, which in turn will mean success for the Club, on and off the pitch. This is the modern game - love it or hate it!
And I believe they will do that next season, did you have good post match drinks at the dispensary, this afternoon?

The reason behind Pochettino's recent demeanour is obvious - he feels that the team have achieved more than they ever had the right to in light of the Wembley situation, lack of signings and injuries.

The team have been running on will power and determination for 6 months, and he knows that that is not a situation that can be maintained indefinitely.

We know that he is close enough personally to Levy for them to have already discussed this. I'd highly doubt if he were using press conferences as a platform to put pressure on the club. His spiky and mercurial soundbites are usually in response to Journalists who want to exaggerate the expectations placed upon the players.

Levy is not dumb - he knows Pochettino is a father figure to half the team, and losing him would disrupt the team in a way that would take years to rebuild.

Regardless of our next game, I would be astonished if we don't see massive investment in players this summer. Liverpool lost the final last year and responded by buying a world record goalkeeper, and several players for squad depth. I would also be astonished if the same culture of last minute purchases and holding on to players for the best possible sell on price continued. Thats the new way that Pochettino was referring to.

The reason behind Pochettino's recent demeanour is obvious - he feels that the team have achieved more than they ever had the right to in light of the Wembley situation, lack of signings and injuries.

The team have been running on will power and determination for 6 months, and he knows that that is not a situation that can be maintained indefinitely.

We know that he is close enough personally to Levy for them to have already discussed this. I'd highly doubt if he were using press conferences as a platform to put pressure on the club. His spiky and mercurial soundbites are usually in response to Journalists who want to exaggerate the expectations placed upon the players.

Levy is not dumb - he knows Pochettino is a father figure to half the team, and losing him would disrupt the team in a way that would take years to rebuild.

Regardless of our next game, I would be astonished if we don't see massive investment in players this summer. Liverpool lost the final last year and responded by buying a world record goalkeeper, and several players for squad depth. I would also be astonished if the same culture of last minute purchases and holding on to players for the best possible sell on price continued. Thats the new way that Pochettino was referring to.

Pochettino is right. In a year without purchases he reached the Champions League final thanks to the sliding doors that are difficult to reproduce. Now the stadium is finished so it wants high-level investments. Now it has a high contractual capacity. You must use it.

Just out of interest, when does the summer transfer window open, June 1st?
I just have seen it opens May 16th, I wonder if we can buy a player before we play CL final, however he will not be able to play as he is not registered with us for this season.

Last edited:
Hes gone in the summer imo. He seems set on briningg up his “future” every 5 minutes, never a good sign. I suppose he feels hes done what hes can with this squad and if levy isnt prepared to back him to challenge for a title then he’ll move onto biggrr things.
I use the disagree button very sparingly, but we have to put up with this rot from the media, really fed up with reading comments like this from our own supporters. I'm pretty pessimistic by nature, but after Wednesday night, I just can't see him going anywhere, certainly not at the end of this season.
Yes I know this can come back to bite me, but for once I have faith in the manager and the chairman to do the right thing for our club.

I use the disagree button very sparingly, but we have to put up with this rot from the media, really fed up with reading comments like this from our own supporters. I'm pretty pessimistic by nature, but after Wednesday night, I just can't see him going anywhere, certainly not at the end of this season.
Yes I know this can come back to bite me, but for once I have faith in the manager and the chairman to do the right thing for our club.
One disagree from Mrs. P is like 100 disagrees from a normal poster.

I have no idea why people have to pitch manager against chairman, blaming one or other when things go wrong or only crediting one of them for our progress. Surely to goodness we need both to work in tandem and do their respective jobs to the best of their ability, which in turn will mean success for the Club, on and off the pitch. This is the modern game - love it or hate it!
Please stop talking sense. It’s not cool on here.
FWIW, I genuinely raised an eyebrow at Poch’s comments recently. To my untrained eye, he’s saying this current squad cannot sustain a year in, year out onslaught and he needs to be given different tools to make the next 5 years a continued progression of the last 5, taking into account that the clubs around us won’t stand still.
Maybe what he says gets lost in translation, or he’s playing some next level mind games ahead of the biggest final in our history, but something doesn’t sit well with me about his comments.

For those of you who haven't been past the training ground, this is a fairly typical day nowadays. Across the road, there will be another group of the same number of people and then at the traffic lights on the A10 probably double this number.

Not sure I like how this fella uses his kid to get player signatures, similar tactics are deployed when begging in the streets on Mumbi. Don't doubt for a moment they are Spurs but wonder if he shares the money he gets when selling the shirts on eBay or splits the revenue from youtube?

No one. His old man films him getting shirts signed outside of the training ground and after games at the stadium.
Something really doesn't sit right with me about this kid and his Dad.
:pochcmon:

If they're keeping every single one of these signed shirts/photos/etc in their collection, then I apologise and hold my hands up to say I'm wrong... But they are always down the training ground or outside the player entrance at the stadium looking for photos and signatures.

Pretty big IF though

....Why should it be though?

Why walk into a presser as an open book? Stay 1 step ahead.... The cunts only twist it all up anyway....If you can get them chasing their tails whilst those who need to know are indeed ITK then surely that's a fairly logical strategy.

CL final I don't think changes the bigger picture (a win might help profile wise tho); NWHL + top for was the target... Poch & Levy were always gonna sit down and chew over 'what's next' having hit said target. In what universe wouldn't they?

We needn't see it as a showdown.

We had a similar notion thrust upon us last summer; yet ironically all signs point to Poch not spending what he was afforded... Twice! Since then we've had RM & Utd flirt with him and he's STILL here.

....Why should it be though?

Why walk into a presser as an open book? Stay 1 step ahead.... The cunts only twist it all up anyway....If you can get them chasing their tails whilst those who need to know are indeed ITK then surely that's a fairly logical strategy.

CL final I don't think changes the bigger picture (a win might help profile wise tho); NWHL + top for was the target... Poch & Levy were always gonna sit down and chew over 'what's next' having hit said target. In what universe wouldn't they?

We needn't see it as a showdown.

We had a similar notion thrust upon us last summer; yet ironically all signs point to Poch not spending what he was afforded... Twice! Since then we've had RM & Utd flirt with him and he's STILL here.
I keep reading the transcript of that presser mate. And as much as I want to see it differently, Poch is saying openly imo (& any backtracking would make him look a bit stupid, which he isn’t) that the next 5 years for this club can’t be like the last 5 years.

He needs the tools to compete with Klopp, Pep and whoever is in charge at the chavs and the scum.

Put those two things together.

I think his words were quite strong indication that he has to be allowed to do things differently and to my mind that can only mean money because he seems to have an otherwise pretty free reign at the Lane & rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom