Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A very thoughtful and insightful interview. And one from which we can ALL take some much needed encouragement for the future .

He started out by clarifying his position that winning a domestic trophy holds little value to him.
This is a policy clearly handed down from the board as no manager covets a lack of silverware on his CV. He says so himself.
Considering we're still seemingly a long way off winning the Pl or UCL I still find these comments disappointing , as do many more.

I was very encouraged by his comments about wanting to be with us till the end. Although somewhat obscure, it did suggest commitment and also sounded like a big FUCK YOU to Man Utd.
Yes, I liked that bit very much.
One slight concern though. I don't want him to become so comfortable in his job, aka Arsene Wenger, that the pressure to win doesn't exist. All managers should be under a certain amount of pressure. Its a results business after all.

Regarding his Real Madrid comments......fucking love it.
I've always said we're a massive club. With a massive fanbase.
There's absolutely no reason why the mighty Spurs shouldn't one day dominate English and European football.
For those on here who say we're punching above our weight, be careful what we wish for, we should be thankful to even be on the same pitch as Barcelone etc etc.....this is a big fuck you to all those on here with such a small time mentality .
Nice One Poch.

Still concerned about his comments on signings though.
" a few days ago I was optimistic about signings, today I'm not so optimistic.
Or
"If we don't sign playets, its not because I dont want to sign its because we're not capable of finding a player who can help us.

"
Its difficult to explain to you why we cant sign players"

Once again it's clear he's identified targets but Levy is unwilling to release the funds to make them a reality .
Still a few days left to rectify that, I suppose. We'll see.

Lot's of other points in the interview up for discussion which I'll come back to but in brief, more encouraged with Poch's commitment to the club than I was this morning, but even less encouraged with the likelyhood of the board having the bollocks to give him the backing he deserves.
It was obvious in August that the club had no intention of recruiting anyone in January what will be interesting is what they do to support poch in the summer, I would guess the usual wait until the last week for the cut price trolley dash for a player or two but still poch has done well this year with what he has had at his disposal.
:pochunimpressed:

The signings part is the thing that concerns me, like you say, it is a results business and a manager should be under a certain amount of pressure, however, that pressure shouldn’t come from a chairman who isn’t willing to sign the players the manager wants because he is too busy trying to get a bargain deal or refusing to pay market value or even above market value in some instances.

The chairman should be held to the same standard of accountability that Poch is held to imo, in others words, it’s important that the chairman doesn’t get comfortable in his position because right now I feel like, in terms of the football side of matters, he might be the issue.
This is a great post, tbf. Deserves far more than the solitary agree I can give it.
After trawling through the self congratulatory bullshit and snidey attacks on our own fans from the likes of Sammy and Spursdem, it's refreshing to see a voice of reason.

Onwards and upwards, as they say.

This is a great post, tbf. Deserves far more than the solitary agree I can give it.
After trawling through the self congratulatory bullshit and snidey attacks on our own fans from the likes of Sammy and Spursdem, it's refreshing to see a voice of reason.

Is there an arse on this forum you haven't kissed?

giphy.gif

Done, now back to the only thing that matters. Are you onboard, or are you still outside, looking in?
Ahh, Sammy.
I'm on the inside, looking out. As ever.
Poch seems committed to Spurs, great news for those of us that Love Poch.,

Poch thinks we can be like Real Madrid. Exactly echoing my thoughts and aspirations . Londons biggest club. But a real slapdown for the minority on here who think we should be happy with where we are and have no right to expect more.
In fact that was my favourite bit.
Although I did chuckle as I imagined you cringing as you read it.

Poch also voiced his frustration that, for reasons he's understandably reluctant to give to the media, we're unable, like other top clubs, to get signings over the line.

A great interview that should send a warning to all our rivals that a sleeping giant could be about to re-awaken. Just needs to be woken from it's slumber.

COYS. Long live the Poch

Saw this on another forum.

The criticism that Pochettino has received lately is unwarranted I think. He's right with what he's saying about the top 4 too and the argument that winning competitions means something isn't clear cut. If spurs won the FA Cup this year, great, but Portsmouth and Wigan won the FA Cup too and what did it do for them? Nothing, so as a one off achievement, winning a cup is brilliant and it'll be remembered but if you're trying to turn a club into something massive, the top 4 is more important.

Spurs have only recently been included in what we see now as the top 6, alongside City, Chelsea, United, Woolwich and Liverpool but if they missed out on the top 4 spot in the league, they could quickly fall out of that pack because they don't have the infrastructure or history to stay there despite poor league performances. A club like United can but does anyone think that Spurs could attract the likes of Pogba and Di Maria when they aren't in the Champions League? Of course not. For Spurs, this is a key moment in their history because they've got a chance to become a major club - they're based in London, have a new stadium, a quality squad and manager etc. - so they can cement themselves in that position but if it was a choice between an FA Cup and a Champions League spot, it's obvious which is better for their long term ambitions. Had Woolwich dropped out of Europe when Wenger perpetually got them in despite needing to make a profit on transfers for that period, they wouldn't be the club they are now.

The funny thing about the top 4 vs. cup argument is that people deride winning cups and when Wenger broke his long run without one, despite a load of top 4 finishes when people said winning was more important, people still ignored the FA Cup success and said it wasn't enough. If Spurs had won the FA Cup this year, it wouldn't do anything for Pochettino's stock because the competition isn't valued enough anymore. That's a shame but the reality is, two competitions mean something to the big clubs and that's the Premier League and Champions League, everything else is unimportant unless you're outside of the top 6 I mentioned before.

Pochettino is a quality manager and right about this whole thing. Traditionalist fans may not like it but if Spurs are to become a major footballing powerhouse - which they have all the tools to do - then they need to be in Europe. It's not short term success but it is more beneficial in the long run.

Ahh, Sammy.
I'm on the inside, looking out. As ever.
Poch seems committed to Spurs, great news for those of us that Love Poch.,

Poch thinks we can be like Real Madrid. Exactly echoing my thoughts and aspirations . Londons biggest club. But a real slapdown for the minority on here who think we should be happy with where we are and have no right to expect more.
In fact that was my favourite bit.
Although I did chuckle as I imagined you cringing as you read it.

Poch also voiced his frustration that, for reasons he's understandably reluctant to give to the media, we're unable, like other top clubs, to get signings over the line.

A great interview that should send a warning to all our rivals that a sleeping giant could be about to re-awaken. Just needs to be woken from it's slumber.

COYS. Long live the Poch

You can’t separate Poch from the policy of the club. He is entrenched in it and part of it.

Some of the decisions you despise are his.
The only slap down was for you and your ilk...the people lacking perspective (his words)

Everyone wants glory, some are patient and support the club along the way though.
You are neither patient or supportive so all your Poch fawning has no legs. It’s an empty shell.

The time has passed where your bullshit about showdown talks and rifts and Poch walking we’re all the rage.
Remember that challenge you set me?

If we don't sign anyone and he leaves, will you admit he was let down and not supported by the owners?

Poch wont leave though...and you wont admit you're wrong just like you didnt last summer when you said he would walk, and had been shafted and there was showdown talks and that he wouldnt be here by the end of the summer and that Kane's contract was merely to sell him etc etc etc

You don’t understand the club John

You can’t separate Poch from the policy of the club. He is entrenched in it and part of it.

Some of the decisions you despise are his.
The only slap down was for you and your ilk...the people lacking perspective (his words)

Everyone wants glory, some are patient and support the club along the way though.
You are neither patient or supportive so all your Poch fawning has no legs. It’s an empty shell.

The time has passed where your bullshit about showdown talks and rifts and Poch walking we’re all the rage.
Remember that challenge you set me?

You don’t understand the club John
RectangularHairyCamel-size_restricted.gif

He’s claimed several times Poch will walk, he’s claimed Pochs contract means nothing, Kane’s contract was just to make more money when we sell him, Poch is at odds with Levy, Poch is begging for players and being told no, we should be spending big, the last window was a disgrace, our policy is a load of shit and the club is pathetic......yet in his head, everything the manager said today supports his opinions.

He’s claimed several times Poch will walk, he’s claimed Pochs contract means nothing, Kane’s contract was just to make more money when we sell him, Poch is at odds with Levy, Poch is begging for players and being told no, we should be spending big, the last window was a disgrace, our policy is a load of shit and the club is pathetic......yet in his head, everything the manager said today supports his opinions.
Mad init

I appreciate the kind words, I honestly feel like I talk utter bollocks 99% of the time so hearing that is a genuine compliment haha

Back
Top Bottom