Match Thread: Man United (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pyro_era said:
Raitei said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AssouEkotto/status/251623201027813376[/tweet]

WE'RE GONNA FUCKIN :smashem:
I'm surprised he knows who we're actually playing
Who says he does?

Does he actually mention the opposition at all?

:bae:

penpen said:
It seems this fixture has historically been best summed up by a prophetic post from GG from I believe two years ago, just prior to the Nani/Clattenberg debacle:

"Old Trafford: we expect nothing but somehow get less."

May we finally prove it wrong this year.

Love that quote

Dru said:
Unfortunately I think Lawro, the cunt, has hit the nail on the head here for me...

I still think the Tottenham players are getting used to Villas-Boas's ideas and I don't think he knows his best team, in fact I am convinced he doesn't.

That does not make it a good time to go to Old Trafford and think we might see the Spurs of old here, where they do not make things difficult for sides when they go away from home, and I see a straightforward win for United.
Unlikely that the moustashioed twat has ever hit anything on the head.

I don't think any of what he said is the issue, I think our new players embedding just don't know each other well enough yet. Whatever the system.

Anyone who has ever played in defence for a team will know the value of playing with the same guys week in week out. You cover each others weaknesses and trust them to lead /follow the line.

IF ever there was a game where we miss parker this is the one. Parker and Sandro would have been ideal, make us tough to beat first up. Then exert pressure.

Oh yeah, and note to Lawro: writing 'in fact I am convinced...' isn't some form on empirical evidence to justify your badly constructed thought processes (or lack thereof).

This is the least expectant/optimistic I think many Spurs fans will have been heading up there for a good three or four seasons - does it relieve the pressure on the players? Probably not but it does suggest that the fragility with which we often seem to play at OT is this time a bonus, the fact being, there might be no anxiety, the players are aware of the task, the fans, too (or should be) and in light of this I wouldn't be surprised if we came away with a point. If we won, I'd be very surprised, though.

I hope we put in a good performance for AVB, too. The man deserves a Sunday/Monday off being questioned for this, that and the other.

And, of course, our magnificent travelling support.

Éperons said:
1. We haven't been terribly good for the entire history of the PL
2. Conversely, we haven't been so bad to get relegated from the PL (cue In Bruges)

Hence, we have streaks like "20 straight fixtures without a win at OT". But Everton, who have also played in every PL season, have a similarly crap record at Old Trafford.

It's also worth remembering, despite the pain it dredges up, the Mendes goal. If the linesman gave that goal as every person in the stadium that day saw he should have then this issue wouldn't be spoken about at all. As it is we had our win at Old Trafford chalked off and the run has continued.

At some point they will play shit, we will play well and the officials won't have a mare and we'll beat them.

Éperons said:
S.L.R said:
so do the players go in thinking "Spurs never win here" creating more pressure on them?
I went into this a bit on the forum last March before ManU home, since I simply refuse to believe in things like "hoodoo" or whatever.

In one post, I pointed out that since 1999, Everton had never won away to a Sky 4 side, and, in total, they have a total of four away victories to Sky 4 sides. They've never won at OT and have 4 points out of a possible 60. Over the long view of the PL, I think Everton is among our peer clubs, so, as with them, our inability to beat Man U. over that stretch of time is due to two facts:

1. We haven't been terribly good for the entire history of the PL
2. Conversely, we haven't been so bad to get relegated from the PL (cue In Bruges)

Hence, we have streaks like "20 straight fixtures without a win at OT". But Everton, who have also played in every PL season, have a similarly crap record at Old Trafford.

So instead of talking about jinxes or referee interference (Webb, as I also pointed out in March, is not decisive in matches at OT, and, actually, ManU suffer under him away), it seems much more sensible to simply understand that, basically, ManU are a good fucking side. Persistently.

But we're getting better every season, and it's only a matter of time before we do them (home or away).

Also don't forget that we had never won at the Reebok (in something like seven tries, iirc) until this spring, but no one seriously considered there to be a massive hex on us there!

(Incidentally, Villa won at OT for the first time PL history only in 2009. They haven't beaten ManU at home since 1995.)

So basically you're saying it's all Howard Webb's fault?

It's funny, how our poor record in these games gets highlighted so much when the likes of those you've mentioned here and in those other posts slip under the media's radar.

My conclusion is that we are never as good as United and the media are cunts. All this pondering and questioning and I end up back where I started.

sammyspurs said:
Anyone who thinks we cant possibly win, I dont know what you are doing following a sport like football
err, supporting the team regardless of whether we actually / deserve / end up winning.

I deal with reality, not fantasy. Despite this being the interwebz.

Besides, the last time I dared to public display some form of optimism was away to the goons earlier this year. And I am still a little bit 'North Korea' about that day, so frankly pessimism and public displays of doom are an imperative. :defoe2: :adegrin2: :defoe: :kaboullol:

frankly if you only support a win, or only ever believe that spurs will win then you are more of a fool than you let on. There is unfounded mindless optimism, and then there are people who need sectioning for their own good. :chicco:

S.L.R said:
My conclusion is that we are never as good as United and the media are cunts. All this pondering and questioning and I end up back where I started.
Well, not "never". Just not in the history of the PL. no one will disagree with that.

But, as we have gotten stronger in the league, the chances of our beating them has also increased. When we were mid-table, a win at OT would've seemed a fluke. Now, it would be a statement of intent.

Pretty sure we are in agreement. :bae

S.L.R said:
I know we always talk about this but why do we never win there? Wigan and fucking Palace can win there but even if they play their kids they still beat us. Is there such a thing as a club mentality? It's different teams and managers all the time, so do the players go in thinking "Spurs never win here" creating more pressure on them?

When do they ever play their 'kids' against us?

I've seen Ferguson rest Vidic and Ferdinand for weeks and weeks just to make sure they are fit to play us.......make no mistake Ferguson knows we are good and always plays his best team available, even if he has to sacrifice results elsewhere

S.L.R said:
In the cup a few years ago they put out a reserve side against us, I seem to remember (could be wrong of course)

09/10

Kuszczak

Neville
De Laet
Brown
Vidic

Obertan
Gibson
Anderson
Park

Berbatov
Welbeck

Gibson scored two pretty lucky goals.

Man United is a rare game where Im not nervous or expecting a win.

BUT, if we do win........
tumblr_m5n3muDJAb1qfi7g6.gif

SadlerTHFC said:
Man United is a rare game where Im not nervous or expecting a win.

BUT, if we do win........[ Image ]

In the lead up to the game I don't expect a win and am trying to be rational, but I know as soon as the game starts I'll be on the edge of my seat praying that we beat those fucking cunts.

Back
Top Bottom