Match Ratings - Swansea (H)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris 7
Walker 6
Gallas 7
Vertonghen 8
Naughton 7
Lennon 6
Sandro 7
Dembele 6
Dempsey 6
Defoe 5
Adebayor 7

Sigurdsson 7
Townsend 7

Giving Adebayor a 7 ? For what exactly ?

Yeah he was solid holding the ball up, but he is getting 100K to create chances and bags goals.........I can't think of one example vs Swansea where Ade created either.

6 for me on another dismal performance from Ade

Lloris- 8
Walker- 7
Gallas- 7
Vertonghen- 8
Naughton- 7
Lennon- 6
Sandro- 7
Dembele- 8
Dempsey- 7
Defoe- 5
Adebayor- 6

Sigurdsson- 6
Townsend- 7

MOTM --> Dembele........kept things flowing rather nicely. Would love to see Dembele move up, Adebayor move up and Defoe to the bench w/ Parker coming into that 2nd holding MF next to Sandro.

Lloris - 9

Walker - 7
Gallas - 6
Vertonghen - 7
Naughton - 4

Lennon - 7
Sandro - 7
Dembele - 10
Dempsey - 4

Defoe - 1 (if he can't score one of those chances what's the fucking point in him playing?)
Adebayor - 7

Townsend - 6
Siggy - 7​

Lloris- 8
Walker- 7
Gallas- 7
Vertonghen- 8
Naughton- 7
Lennon- 6
Sandro- 7
Dembele- 8
Dempsey- 7
Defoe- 5
Adebayor- 6

Sigurdsson- 6
Townsend- 7

MOTM --> Dembele........kept things flowing rather nicely. Would love to see Dembele move up, Adebayor move up and Defoe to the bench w/ Parker coming into that 2nd holding MF next to Sandro.
Mmmm
Defoe 5
The same Defoe that ran his bollocks off for the entire time he was on the pitch, was a constant noightmare to their defence, but for a couple of great stops and blocks could have had a hattrick, and the guy who set up several opportunities for colleagues and carried the Spurs attack all on his own.

and you gave him 5/10 and want to see him benched

WHO FUCKING FOR EINSTEIN?

Jesus, did you start watching football at the start of december?

Lloris - 9​
Walker - 7​
Gallas - 6​
Vertonghen - 7​
Naughton - 4​
Lennon - 7​
Sandro - 7​
Dembele - 10​
Dempsey - 4​
Defoe - 1 (if he can't score one of those chances what's the fucking point in him playing?)​
Adebayor - 7​
Townsend - 6​
Siggy - 7​

Oh god
I fucking despair.

I wouldn't know where to start with your evaluation. I hope the needle fell out of your arm whilst you were typing.

Loris 6

Walker 5
Gallas 6
Vertongen 7
Naughton 5

Lennon 6
Sandro 7
Dempsey 5
Dembele 6

Adebayor 5
Defoe 6

Siggy 4
Townsend 5
Parker 5

Lloris - 7.5 - saved the game with is falcon punch on Michu
Walker - 7 - solid up and down the field, great defense, could improve positioning
Gallas - 6.5 - solid game today, did not do much wrong
Vertonghen - 8.5 - great game defensively and offensive, game winner and MOTM in my opinion.
Naughten - 6 - much better defensively but still offered nothing going forward. Just not a left back.
Dempsey - 6 - Worked hard. Linked well with Adebayor and Defoe though but did little else
Sandro - 7 - Hard work and a force in the middle, becoming one of the best CDM's in the league
Dembele- 8 - Kept out our team ticking from the middle, outstanding all around game
Lennon - 6 - Made some good runs but an average display from our winger
Adebayor - 6 - Held the ball up well but did not offer much else
Defoe - 6 - shouldve scored. 94% passing for the day, hes not as useless as some have been saying.

Siggy - 7 - lively showing, great through ball to Defoe, looking better each game.
Townsend - 7 - Great display, showed confidence and won us the free kick that Vertonghen put in.

A pretty solid display, especially from our defense. We definitely shouldve scored one in the first half, had a couple chances but Swansea D was terrific with their blocks. Super Jan saved the day for us, what a buy. Happy to be back in 4th and things are looking up. :avblol:

Lloris - 9​
Defoe - 1 (if he can't score one of those chances what's the fucking point in him playing?)
Siggy - 7
:sandro:
Can't tell if serious, how does Loris deserve a 9? Did they even have a shot on target? I understand the bonus point for punching Michu but a 9? Come on son... And Siggy a 7? He only played for 20 minutes and you can't tell me the through ball for Defoe is worth that. Not even going to bother commenting on your rating of Defoe.​

Lloris - 9​
Walker - 7​
Gallas - 6​
Vertonghen - 7​
Naughton - 4​
Lennon - 7​
Sandro - 7​
Dembele - 10​
Dempsey - 4​
Defoe - 1 (if he can't score one of those chances what's the fucking point in him playing?)​
Adebayor - 7​
Townsend - 6​
Siggy - 7​

When I took over the match ratings task from LLB Part Deux one of his rules was to ignore extreme ratings, i.e. someone giving a player a rating of 1-2 or 9-10 if it's clear across ratings that it's an isolated one.

After some deliberation I decided not to follow this rule as an opinion is an opinion and should be respected regardless of whether I agree with it or not, however in this instance I feel I should at least ask if you are happy to stick by your 10 for Dembele and/or 1 for Defoe before I add your score to the spreadsheet.

Hope this does not offend.

Lloris 7
Walker 6
Gallas 5
Vertonghen 7
Naughton 5
Lennon 6
Sandro 6
Dembele 8
Dempsey 5
Defoe 6
Adebayor 5
Townsend 6
Siggy 5

Mmmm
Defoe 5
The same Defoe that ran his bollocks off for the entire time he was on the pitch, was a constant noightmare to their defence, but for a couple of great stops and blocks could have had a hattrick, and the guy who set up several opportunities for colleagues and carried the Spurs attack all on his own.

and you gave him 5/10 and want to see him benched

WHO FUCKING FOR EINSTEIN?

Jesus, did you start watching football at the start of december?

I'll bite on this one too.

Defoe was in no way a nightmare to their defence. Chico (who is a good seasoned pro but also slow and rash) and Ashley Williams (who's just distinctly average) had him under complete control in all aspects of play all the bloody game. Defoes 1:1 chance even came from an individual error, not from brilliant Spurs play or just his own hard work.

He ran around a lot, yes. Yet he failed completely to provide an outlet for our midfielders, constantly choosing the wrong runs and constantly running from one marking zone into the other - in fact very often he'd be pissed up waving his arms and frowning when not getting the pass, despite being static, heavily marked and often in the shadow of another Swansea player effectively blocking the pass out. He doesn't have a slightest clue how to find space, at times, unfortunately.
Despite all this running "his bollocks off" his pressing game is really, really poor, and he lacks perception and reading of play to know when to press (e.g. when an opponent needs to look away to recieve a pass or when making a poor first touch) and when to drop back to shut down space (e.g. when a safe playmaker like Britton already has controlled the ball and looks to pick a vertical pass out).

I never played pro, semi pro or just top of my class, but this is really bread and butter regarding pressing football. It worries me deeply, when a player is praised for doing something this basic so very, very wrong.

Btw, Defoe has quality in other regards. Also I do like him and the way he comes across outside the pitch. But all his career he has had a problem with his overal play and specific parts of his strikers play, and I don't feel it's unfair to him to be honest about it.

I'll bite on this one too.

Defoe was in no way a nightmare to their defence. Chico (who is a good seasoned pro but also slow and rash) and Ashley Williams (who's just distinctly average) had him under complete control in all aspects of play all the bloody game. Defoes 1:1 chance even came from an individual error, not from brilliant Spurs play or just his own hard work.

He ran around a lot, yes. Yet he failed completely to provide an outlet for our midfielders, constantly choosing the wrong runs and constantly running from one marking zone into the other - in fact very often he'd be pissed up waving his arms and frowning when not getting the pass, despite being static, heavily marked and often in the shadow of another Swansea player effectively blocking the pass out. He doesn't have a slightest clue how to find space, at times, unfortunately.
Despite all this running "his bollocks off" his pressing game is really, really poor, and he lacks perception and reading of play to know when to press (e.g. when an opponent needs to look away to recieve a pass or when making a poor first touch) and when to drop back to shut down space (e.g. when a safe playmaker like Britton already has controlled the ball and looks to pick a vertical pass out).

I never played pro, semi pro or just top of my class, but this is really bread and butter regarding pressing football. It worries me deeply, when a player is praised for doing something this basic so very, very wrong.

Btw, Defoe has quality in other regards. Also I do like him and the way he comes across outside the pitch. But all his career he has had a problem with his overal play and specific parts of his strikers play, and I don't feel it's unfair to him to be honest about it.
amazing that he had all those chances then - how did that happen - did adebayor give him a piggy back into the box?
not really as Adebayor was decidedly flat for as lot of the game
the game that was conducted with a 9 man defensive box for the whole game, so the players had to operate in minimal space
where were runners supposed to go - and which of the 9 did they press?
I guess you would like to see schoolboy football where everyone presses the man with the ball?

hey, if it maskes you feel happy to jump on the Defoe bandwagon with all the other sheep - fill your boots.

I DO NOT think he's the perfect striker (I think he should have converted at least one of his opportunities) but neither do I think he's the one dimensional player, or as poor as people like you would suggest

and don't give me the crap about strikers need to be so much more in the modern game, its tedious.

Lloris 7 - i like his confidence. when you think of the sh*t wenger/fergie have with goal keepers, i think we've done good.
Walker 7 - Never hides, always wants to be involved. Do worry about him playing people onside. The break he had from missing the fulham game appears to have benefitted him
Gallas 7 - Yeah he's old but he is useful in the right games. In the wrong games i feel something horrible happening
Vertonghen 8 - Ajax pedigree on the ball, thanks for a vital goal
Naughton 6 - Fairly good from Naughton (dyer is a good wide man), possibly never gonna look completely comfortable at left-back, just too right footed
Lennon 6 - His work rate and tracking back is exceptional now. Darting runs that mainly led to nothing. Not great.
Dembele 7 - Solid. I wonder if the injury is just being managed and they're waiting for a wndow to let the surgeon at it. I want more of the unstoppable walking past player runs.
Sandro 8 - Thankyou
Dempsey 6 - Only OK, shame as he was on the upward curve
Adebayor 6 - Not the spark that there was last year (may be its the signing-on fee in his back pocket weighing him down). Stop going wide and working some space for a lame cross, i can never see that getting us anywhere. I retain the faith though.
Defoe 6 - Similar to other weeks......just without the shooting boots.
Nice effective cameos from siggy/townsend.....good to see
We smashed them on the stats table but not many of our attacking players played that well??.Although a special mention to Swansea centre-half's, dawsonesque commitment.

amazing that he had all those chances then - how did that happen - did adebayor give him a piggy back into the box?

Most were pot-shots, but being in the box for rebounds is something I do think Defoe is very good at. He also was very good at looking for the 3-4 yards in front of the keeper every time we had a finish on target.

However, Defoe shoots a lot. Even when he should not have. That is what you call decisionmaking, and unfortunately that is where he lacks a bit, yet.

not really as Adebayor was decidedly flat for as lot of the game

He was very flat by his own standards, but he was also crucial for our play in breaking down the opposition, because he is so very good at finding space even in tight spaces and holding up the ball. And he is proactive, creating plays and chances, not waiting for them to fall to him.

We need that. People talk about our problems breaking down defending teams. Adebayor is a key to that, so much more after we sold VdV and Modric.

the game that was conducted with a 9 man defensive box for the whole game, so the players had to operate in minimal space

Correct. Which a modern striker has to deal with, no discussion.

where were runners supposed to go - and which of the 9 did they press?

They are supposed to shift and turn every other monent to constantly find a yard or two for the wall pass, then shift and move again. As opposed to standing between Chico and Williams, in the shadow of Britton, waving your arms when passes elude one. Sorry if harsh, but this point needs to be made.

I guess you would like to see schoolboy football where everyone presses the man with the ball?

No. That's just a straw man.

hey, if it maskes you feel happy to jump on the Defoe bandwagon with all the other sheep - fill your boots.

... and that's another straw man.

I DO NOT think he's the perfect striker (I think he should have converted at least one of his opportunities) but neither do I think he's the one dimensional player, or as poor as people like you would suggest

Neither do I. He is not a poor player. He is just not performing well right now and not responding well to the demands of the system, the formation changes and the way defences play him.

The problem is, that despite having true strikers quality of getting a goal out of nowhere, he is burdened by not contributing much to the team apart from said goals. He is difficult to put in a team, because it has to built around him, and even if you do the goal count is erratic and defences can still shut him down.

and don't give me the crap about strikers need to be so much more in the modern game, its tedious.

If every other footballer needs to adapt, why not strikers generally - and why not Defoe specifically ?

You accuse me of jumping on a bandwagon. I could easily accuse you of being on a different one, but that doesn't get us very far, does it ?

Regards

Giving Adebayor a 7 ? For what exactly ?

Yeah he was solid holding the ball up, but he is getting 100K to create chances and bags goals.........I can't think of one example vs Swansea where Ade created either.

6 for me on another dismal performance from Ade

Adebayor did a decent job of drifting to the left when Dempsey came inside, giving us an option, and linking play.

Also, as I was impressed by Defoe chasing back at left back last week, I was impressed by Adebayor doing the same this week.

Back
Top Bottom