Martin Jol on Spurs (his favourite club) and Ajax and our ex Ajax Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love Martin Jol. After years of being shit we were finally on the right path under him and looking up and not down. It was the last time everyone was completely together and on the same page. The ground has never been like it was in the Jol years. There was no twitter then to encourage negativity either.
Do you remember the slow “Oh When The Spurs” used to just go on forever... miss those days.

The word legend is thrown about these days like confetti, I watched our “legends” game and thought “christ we need to start winning something soon as some of these guys are as far from a legend in the true sense you could imagine....But I 100% put Jol in the legends bracket, that man started something that those who followed have reaped his rewards....#LegendJol
Agree.

We seemed to get our swagger back under Jol, some of our football was the best I have seen. I recall us thumping Everton at WHL one new year and we could have scored ten. the lane was rocking that day

How he managed to get us to even fight for 4th in 05/06 remains a mystery consisting the years of shit we'd had to endure for years prior.

A great bloke, good at developing talent and got what it meant to manage this club.

How he managed to get us to even fight for 4th in 05/06 remains a mystery consisting the years of shit we'd had to endure for years prior.

A great bloke, good at developing talent and got what it meant to manage this club.
He could've been bitter after the way he was sacked, but he is always positive about Spurs, says a lot about his character, should've chinned Wenger though.

He won't go down as the greatest manager, but for me he is certainly one of the most likeable.

Quarter final.

That night was awesome. Remember after half time it was just non stop. So so good.

I couldn’t speak the next day.
Queuing up outside and missed the first 15 minutes meant I missed the goal(s?) we conceded that meant we had very little chance of going through... . but still one of my favorite times at the lane.

Queuing up outside and missed the first 15 minutes meant I missed the goal(s?) we conceded that meant we had very little chance of going through... . but still one of my favorite times at the lane.

Yeah Steed OG and Freddie came back to haunt us.

But the noise from PL was pretty relentless.

So proud of our support that night.

The word legend is thrown about these days like confetti, I watched our “legends” game and thought “christ we need to start winning something soon as some of these guys are as far from a legend in the true sense you could imagine....But I 100% put Jol in the legends bracket, that man started something that those who followed have reaped his rewards....#LegendJol

Do you remember the slow “Oh When The Spurs” used to just go on forever... miss those days.
On the quayside in porto before braga in the wafer cup ..when it really took hold..big enfield skinhead on a chair directing the yid choir ...and the bar owner doing his bollocks as he was running out of beer .legendary day

Is it bad that Miami Vice just popped into my head?
9d7d6c5b-43fe-40d7-925f-08ba4aa2d601_1.22443c7a558af0c6a6286ee7a5be968c.jpeg

Actually, the more I think about it... it was the early '80s... of COURSE that's what they were trying to replicate!
They once had Regis, Chamberlain and Batson posing with the 3 Degrees for a photo shoot FFS!
Big Martin is awesome, probably would've been my favourite manager if he had chinned Wenger..

Clive Allen almost did!!

Last edited:
Well it wasn't the clubs finest hour the way we got rid of him. Deserved much better and shows what a big man he is that he doesn't seem consumed with bitterness.
Was a big fan of his and still am.:bmj:

He didn't have the finest sending off by Levy but I must admit his last season with us was a disappointment.

I however always seem to forgive him for this because my view of our club changed so dramatically after he came. He changed a lot, it wasn't just the results but how we viewed our club and our sense of self-respect.

We had almost come to accept that we're a mid table team for years before that.

Back
Top Bottom