Local cunts want money off Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some smart Alec might also point out that the residents you brand as scumbags weren't all involved in the riots, apart from, you know, being the people directly impacted by them..

So your suggesting that no local residents were involved in the Tottenham riots? Or am I mistaken...
I am brandishing them scumbags, not all, but a fair percentage. It wasnt just 100 yoot boys running around, this was a massive event.

My point that im trying to make is that we as a club are already investing heavily via taxes and we shouldnt have to give away money to people who dont even value their own area, or us for that matter.

That doesn't make them 'scum'. To say so is real idiocy.

I'll let the obvious insult go over my head.

I think the rioters are scum. Its not a hard conclusion to draw.

So you want everyone to have billionaire owners to make the league more competitive?

I reckon it would be just as competitive (and cheaper for the fans) if no owners were foreign billionaires and clubs that earned their cash

Totally agree with this. If you think about a non billion £ financially banked league table, in theory we would be fighting for 2nd 3rd (or even 1st) rather than 4th 5th

So your suggesting that no local residents were involved in the Tottenham riots?

Nope. I very clearly did not suggest that.

Or am I mistaken...

Yes.

I am brandishing them scumbags, not all, but a fair percentage.

You branded local residents of Tottenham scumbags, without distinction. If you'd said "people involved in rioting acted like scumbags", I wouldn't have disagreed with you.

It wasnt just 100 yoot boys running around, this was a massive event.

As you observed yourself, people moved in from different areas to participate. So the actions of idiots, some from Tottenham, some from Hackney, etc, were used by yourself to brand Tottenham residents as scum.

I'll let the obvious insult go over my head.

Lol. "Obvious insult" is a funny way of putting it. I didn't exactly conceal it weakly. Having said that I'm not having a dig at you personally tbh, just pointing out that, for reasons explained above, I found your post idiotic. Or at least part of it. I didn't pick holes in your point about taxes.

The riots were probably at their worst in Croydon and the people worst affected by them were the residents in the most burnt down areas. People lost their businesses and homes. That doesn't make them 'scum'. To say so is real idiocy.

I brought a sofa from Reeves corner once, it was shit. And expensive. Basically fell apart within a year.

When that place went up my initial thought was "Fuck 'em! :mad: ", and then when I considered it more I thought it more likely an insurance job. As you know Reeves is no where near the high st, not really. If you were looting Croydon would you be down that end? I wouldnt. And if he was buying such shitty stock, perhaps business wasnt great....

I dont know, it just didnt fit IMO. Not that riots are so common place in Croydon I have had time to gain experience on proceedings! :D

I brought a sofa from Reeves corner once, it was shit. And expensive. Basically fell apart within a year.

When that place went up my initial thought was "Fuck 'em! :mad: ", and then when I considered it more I thought it more likely an insurance job. As you know Reeves is no where near the high st, not really. If you were looting Croydon would you be down that end? I wouldnt. And if he was buying such shitty stock, perhaps business wasnt great....

I dont know, it just didnt fit IMO. Not that riots are so common place in Croydon I have had time to gain experience on proceedings! :D

no, but if you wanted the police and fire bods dealing with a massive fire elsewhere, whilst yuouy are trying to get into the whitgift and centrale, Reeves corner is very out of the way.
the other main fire, at broadgreen, was, if i were a betting man, done after the motorbike shop was looted. apparently a fire was started in rockbottom after they were cleaned out, but it never really took and the brigade managed to stop it.

Nah, the bloke who set fire to reeves corner was caught on camera doing it. Hed just raided a shop and bragged about it to a Croydon advertiser reporter as well. He ended up getting sent down.

That's close to my flat, that bit. Weird. But tbh Broad Green got the worst of it, it looked like world war 3 had hit, from west Croydon station right up into norbury. Not surprising though, got anyone who knows Broad Green (it's like Tottenham High Road)

Its the gumments fault! Rich peoples fault! Dem Tories innit! Fucking hell that interview made me angry.

imagine it at the time, when its a couple of miles from your house

I still think the whole thing, including in tottenham, was orchestrated for the looting and thievery, which is why everywhere else went the next day. I still feel kinda sorry for mark duggans family, cos all that shit was done in their name.

the actual residents in these areas were the victims.

We as a club have NO obligation to provide anything for the residents, infact i'd go as far as to call them scumbags for the way they treated the area during the riots and the way its presented at the moment anyway.

Uh, Aldi wasn't the only place that got torched during the riots. Poundland wasn't the only place smashed up.

Local people had their businesses destroyed too. So they're scumbags because they had the nerve to open a shop on the High Road? They are members of the community, they are residents. And loads of the people rioting didn't even come from Tottenham. Do you honestly think most people living in N15 and N17 wanted the neighbourhood to go up in flames? They were horrified and scared and ashamed like everybody else.

I hate people who cause wanton destruction and destroy things for the hell of it and smash up the shops of their own neighbours, but it's just ridiculous to collectively hold a neighbourhood responsible for what happens within it in the aftermath of a man being shot by the police. Tottenham had a reputation for crime and poverty long before August 2011 and still would even if the riots hadn't happened.

So you want everyone to have billionaire owners to make the league more competitive?

I reckon it would be just as competitive (and cheaper for the fans) if no owners were foreign billionaires and clubs that earned their cash rather than what Chelsea and Man City have done.

Please drop your agenda, it's getting rather boring.

I'm not dropping my agenda, the boring ones are the many many people with agendas that deny the reality of what has happened with us, City and Chelsea.

The summary of the argument against this: "It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

Aiming high involves doing it, as we always have, the Tottenham way. Frankly, a victory gained by chucking money that we could never hope to repay is ludicrous, and a betrayal of our history. We aim to do things our way and I, along with many others on here, were drawn to Spurs for this very reason. We stay for that reason. The tag line for TFC is 'love the shirt' but really, that's what Liverpool do - love the shirt without questioning it. A lot of us would simply find another club if we became another Chelsea, Man City, PSG or Anzhi.

So I'd rather aim high and fail (by not building a new stadium in 13 years, but having plans and attempting to push it through) than rush it through and with someone else's chequebook. Because the only guarantee that brings is more plastics and a worse football club.

I completely disagree. We're far from from aiming high, it's clubs like Chelsea, Man City, PSG or Anzhi. To me you've got it completely the wrong way round.

We're aiming at doing pretty well, which we are doing, but no extra capacity and one Lge cup in 13 years is not high achieving for a club of our stature. Just as Moyes is ridiculously overpraised for winning nowt with a club also of traditional high stature in Everton.

Arguably if city and Chelsea weren't currently being bankrolled by financial doping we'd have finished top 3 or 4 in the last few seasons. With that extra cl money we may have pushed for the title, or had enough extra to get the stadium done.

In no way is billionaire owners running clubs at a huge loss any good for the rest of the teams in the league. If anything it's much harder now to bring in say a klinsmann or a bergkamp because they would cost over 25 million and demand stupid wages, meaning only that same handful of clubs could afford them.

The Prem would beg to differ, it goes from strength to strength and Scudamore and Sky have both pointed to, directly or indirectly, how the rise of City and Chelsea has helped the Prem become more exciting.

More importantly, as you rightly say, because of City's and Chelsea's success it's clobbered us. Many Spurs fans see this, but can't see the obvious other bit. Their owners have done much better than ours. Baffling in one respect, but I think I understand the flawed logic and misplaced loyal sentiments behind such erroneous analysis.

Back
Top Bottom