Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not like they wouldn't want to see us win silverware but it most definitely isn't a priority for them either.

They're not embarrassed by it, it's us fans that are the butt of all the jokes not the owners.

you think if we would have won a trophy and then finished 10th the next season we wouldn't be the butt of jokes?

But in neither window were they enough. You know fully well were wrecklessly short of CBs and tbh, a CF

I mean in 21/22 it was certainly enough as we ended up finishing 4th when none of us thought that was possible.

Over the last 2 seasons we have been slowly building a brand new squad. Could it have been done quicker - yes I agree it could have.

Is it a step up from the Redknapp and Poch days - yes. That's not to say there isn't more work to do but for me, the recruitment over the last 2 seasons has been much better and it gives me hope that we will continue to address where we need to during the transfer windows.

I mostly believe him but I don't think he has been prepared to do everything he could have to achieve it.

I believe he thought he could win by hiring Jose and Conte but didn't realise what it would actually take to get the to succeed.

The idea that the owner of a football club point blank would not want to win a trophy, to me, is absurd....even if it was just for the financial rewards.

I'd suggest that many fans, particularly the most vocal fans including on TFC, were very supportive/demanding of the appointment of both Mourhino and Conte seeing it as a pathway to instant success.

I suspect that Mourhino, Conte and Levy all over estimated the abilities squad they inherited and the work needed to change it - imo the squad was generally knackered, getting older and had too little depth.

Personally I didn't see why Conte would succeed where Mourhino hadn't and would have been happier with a 'project manager' such as Jol was (Eddie Howe took a year out after leaving Bournemouth so could have been available). I think I've got my wish now with Ange in terms of a 'project manager' ........ and Paratici, whatever his Juventus baggage, has done an excellent job in rebuilding the squad in last couple of years bringing in 20 players (including youngsters such as Phillips and Veliz) which should at least be challenging for positions 2-6 in PL this season .....

I dont think he was ever on Levy's list, just like Poch wasnt. Ange was on Munn and the data team's list. There is no was Levy has the nous to get some Aussie in from Celtic. He would just have gone with whoever Paratici said. He gets credit for going with Munn's advice but that is as far as it goes.
Is that not a good thing though? I know you’ve said you are giving credit to Levy for taking the advice of Munn (even though we don’t know if that’s true or not), but prior to that, you had a dig at Levy’s lack of nous.

Everyone on here seems to want Levy to stay away from the football side of things, so taking advice from others should be celebrated, no?

I'd suggest that many fans, particularly the most vocal fans including on TFC, were very supportive/demanding of the appointment of both Mourhino and Conte seeing it as a pathway to instant success.

I suspect that Mourhino, Conte and Levy all over estimated the abilities squad they inherited and the work needed to change it - imo the squad was generally knackered, getting older and had too little depth.

Personally I didn't see why Conte would succeed where Mourhino hadn't and would have been happier with a 'project manager' such as Jol was (Eddie Howe took a year out after leaving Bournemouth so could have been available). I think I've got my wish now with Ange in terms of a 'project manager' ........ and Paratici, whatever his Juventus baggage, has done an excellent job in rebuilding the squad in last couple of years bringing in 20 players (including youngsters such as Phillips and Veliz) which should at least be challenging for positions 2-6 in PL this season .....

I agree - and much to many posters' surprise on here I attribute the bulk of the blame for the last few years on ENIC's inability to line up the managerial appointments to the squad they were prepared to build.

I have never had a problem with buying young, exciting prospects - I have loved watching Brighton the last couple of seasons and have been so impressed with much of their recruitment. We should be aiming higher though and I think we have got the balance right the last two years with some very young prospects (Sarr, Udogie, VDV) some untested in the PL players that have stood out at their previous clubs (Romero, Porro) and some prem prove players (Bissouma, Maddison).

I agree - and much to many posters' surprise on here I attribute the bulk of the blame for the last few years on ENIC's inability to line up the managerial appointments to the squad they were prepared to build.

I have never had a problem with buying young, exciting prospects - I have loved watching Brighton the last couple of seasons and have been so impressed with much of their recruitment. We should be aiming higher though and I think we have got the balance right the last two years with some very young prospects (Sarr, Udogie, VDV) some untested in the PL players that have stood out at their previous clubs (Romero, Porro) and some prem prove players (Bissouma, Maddison).

I've not doubted Spurs wish to build a better squad, more that for almost a decade before Paratici too many of the players bought have not been good.

I certainly think by end of Poch's reign he had over played too many of our best players and few if any players had come in to replace them. Plus of course an aging Kane and Son to build a new team round looked a tall order.

But whilst the vocal TFC fans said this summer's window was only a '4' I think it was a good solid '7' with Vicario, Van de Ven, Maddison, Johnson and youngsters Phillips and Veliz signing plus Udogie (bought last summer) playing his debut season for Spurs and likewise Sarr starting to play regularly, and Bissouma playing like the player we thought we had bought. So this season the squad has started to really come together with this summer's signings and those bought in last 2 seasons - so a really good solid base squad to build from despite the loss of Kane, our top scorer and creative player.

IMO most managers would be pretty delighted with this squad - I suspect Ange is - including both Mourhino and Conte although both those two would prefer more defensive players (so not a Maddison) as both prefer negative counter attacking football which has been very successful for them.

So I think Spurs have ended in pretty much the right place, and I think a 3-4 year timespan to totally rebuild the squad is about the right timeframe, but its been a frustrating couple of last years until seeing the squad really start to come together this season.

I've not doubted Spurs wish to build a better squad, more that for almost a decade before Paratici too many of the players bought have not been good.

I certainly think by end of Poch's reign he had over played too many of our best players and few if any players had come in to replace them. Plus of course an aging Kane and Son to build a new team round looked a tall order.

But whilst the vocal TFC fans said this summer's window was only a '4' I think it was a good solid '7' with Vicario, Van de Ven, Maddison, Johnson and youngsters Phillips and Veliz signing plus Udogie (bought last summer) playing his debut season for Spurs and likewise Sarr starting to play regularly, and Bissouma playing like the player we thought we had bought. So this season the squad has started to really come together with this summer's signings and those bought in last 2 seasons - so a really good solid base squad to build from despite the loss of Kane, our top scorer and creative player.

IMO most managers would be pretty delighted with this squad - I suspect Ange is - including both Mourhino and Conte although both those two would prefer more defensive players (so not a Maddison) as both prefer negative counter attacking football which has been very successful for them.

So I think Spurs have ended in pretty much the right place, and I think a 3-4 year timespan to totally rebuild the squad is about the right timeframe, but its been a frustrating couple of last years until seeing the squad really start to come together this season.

Couldn't agree more, and long may it continue.

We all have PTSD from ENIC's screw up and fuck me was the footie horrible to watch the last 3-4 years. I am cautiously optimistic but the onus is squarely on the owners to deliver and not allow the squad to stagnate.

Until we see what happens, I agree that the words of the Chairman are just that.

Just finished watching it. Pretty wholesome content. I'm sorry but anyone who didnt enjoy it is just a miserable bastard. It isnt a Levy grilling or an Ange one, it is the closest you'll get to seeing what Levy is like. He seems pretty uncomfortable in that arena. He is just a bit of a nerd.
Cuti not replying to Son's text about the pre-game huddle at Brentford feels so on brand. (around the 21 minute mark for those interested).

Last edited:
He's partly blaming the fans though, at best he's sharing the blame but he's certainly not taking ownership of the decisions that HE made!

Levy should've been a Tory MP with someone n like that.

You see it as 'blame' I don't see that at all.

I think what he is saying is that he listened to fans/players when he should have really stuck to a principle, many people including our fans were saying we need a win now manager to get over the line.

Take the full quote in context not just the parts you want to pick out of it, the tone of it is just one big 'my bad'

The proof is in the pudding now and will be in the next few years, not sure if you can't judge him too much on his words, but you can judge him on his actions.

You see it as 'blame' I don't see that at all.

I think what he is saying is that he listened to fans/players when he should have really stuck to a principle, many people including our fans were saying we need a win now manager to get over the line.

Take the full quote in context not just the parts you want to pick out of it, the tone of it is just one big 'my bad'

The proof is in the pudding now and will be in the next few years, not sure if you can't judge him too much on his words, but you can judge him on his actions.

'Win now' as opposed to 'win whenever'?

His principles appointed AVB and saw Jol sacked at HT and one window adding Bent instead of a left winger when we already had Berbatov, Keane and Defoe.

He's making excuses, usual shite from him but no surprise the usual suspects are so easily placated.

'Win now' as opposed to 'win whenever'?

His principles appointed AVB and saw Jol sacked at HT and one window adding Bent instead of a left winger when we already had Berbatov, Keane and Defoe.

He's making excuses, usual shite from him but no surprise the usual suspects are so easily placated.

ok

Back
Top Bottom