Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have you got Alzheimer's? The Euros were a year ago and Walker wasn't in the squad for the one 2012 tournament and Pochettino was still at Espanyol then anyway.

And Rose had a tough time for getting a red against Villa which many thought cost us a CL place that season. He was kind of thrown into the position by Redknapp and it was under O'Neill's tutelage he first showed promise.
England U21's mate 2011. The right back position was his 2012 but didn't go through injury.

If your blaming Rose for us not getting CL, no doubt you were part of the haters that were made to look a tad foolish now.

True though.

Not in my opinion. (See above... If you want to, y'know, actually engage and discuss it.)

He declined quite a lot under AVB/Sherwood, as did Rose.

As did every damn player apart from Bale! ...Even Hugo (already an international captain) was a comparatively erratic presence. What is your point?

You're making unnecessary overstatements to the dis-credit of those 2 players and I don't see why... I think most of us here already appreciate Poch's player development. You're not achieving any more gravitas...

...Or are you outright arguing that Poch could make literally any clown with a pair of boots into top full-back?

Presumably not.

Not in my opinion. (See above... If you want to, y'know, actually engage and discuss it.)

As did every damn player apart from Bale! ...Even Hugo (already an international captain) was a comparatively erratic presence. What is your point?

You're making unnecessary overstatements to the dis-credit of those 2 players and I don't see why... I think most of us here already appreciate Poch's player development. You're not achieving any more gravitas...

...Or are you outright arguing that Poch could make literally any clown with a pair of boot into top full-back?

Presumably not.

Do you identify as a passive aggressive person? Not sure why you think that post would encourage me to think you're looking for an engaging debate with that post - especially with the partly constructed straw man at the end.

England U21's mate 2011. The right back position was his 2012 but didn't go through injury.

If your blaming Rose for us not getting CL, no doubt you were part of the haters that were made to look a tad foolish now.

Didn't say I blamed him but a lot of people did. I could probably dig out a thread from a Spurs forum to prove the point. If you were following Spurs at that time you'd know that. But, as I said, you may be experiencing memory problems as you seem to be getting dates and times mixed up.

Didn't say I blamed him but a lot of people did. I could probably dig out a thread from a Spurs forum to prove the point. If you were following Spurs at that time you'd know that. But, as I said, you may be experiencing memory problems as you seem to be getting dates and times mixed up.
What is the point you are making. Think the one I'm making is crystal clear, they were not poor before Poch arrived.

What is the point you are making. Think the one I'm making is crystal clear, they were not poor before Poch arrived.

I didn't say they were, just that your memory is very poor and you should see a doctor. Stop trying to get out if it by saying you meant the U21s. You meant the Euros of last year where Iceland beat England. In your mind that took place several years ago at a time when Poch was still at Southampton.

Do you identify as a passive aggressive person?

LOL. Irony.

Not sure why you think that post would encourage me to think you're looking for an engaging debate with that post

Had already given up at that point. I see a pattern emerging.

You already had my opinion on the post before and you take the time to respond, yet 'bless' me with nothing more than "Not True"... Just a bit arrogant to be perfectly honest... That how you usually handle discussions in real life is it? "You're wrong" and just walk away...

(You did similar to this the other day only to then accuse me of looking for an argument... )

especially with the partly constructed straw man at the end.

No straw man.... I'm questioning where you are coming from.

Discuss or not.... Up to you....

I didn't say they were, just that your memory is very poor and you should see a doctor. Stop trying to get out if it by saying you meant the U21s. You meant the Euros of last year where Iceland beat England. In your mind that took place several years ago at a time when Poch was still at Southampton.
No I didn't.

You already had my opinion on the post before and you take the time to respond, yet 'bless' me with nothing more than "Not True"... Just a bit arrogant to be perfectly honest... That how you usually handle discussions in real life is it? "You're wrong" and just walk away...

What? That isn't even remotely what I said:

True though. He declined quite a lot under AVB/Sherwood, as did Rose.

If true it is typical United. Splash the cash on a "rivals" players because you can't develop your own even having spent fortunes over the past few seasons and at the same time weakening your the competition. Fergie used to do it as did Maureen when at the Chavs so sounds like more of the same.
Not helped by certain parts of the media taking great pleasure in trying to unsettle our players - not sure what their agenda is and it's just cheap journalism. Why go and play for an inferior team when their manager will only be there for another 18 months if he is true to form. Surely better to be part of the Spurs project.
We shouldn't sell to any of the top 6 PL teams, unless we have equal quality replacements, and even then we should be demanding well over market value especially for players on long term contracts.

What? That isn't even remotely what I said:

"Not true".... "True though"... A botched quote, ill concede but you know as well as I do what I meant... To say it's not remotely what's been said is disengenuous.

So tell me, if we're strictly talking TRUTH, then where in all this does it become qualified as fact that KW & DR were poor players before Poch's magic wand?

Still have no idea what point it serves to peddle such a narrative.

"Not true".... "True though"... A botched quote, ill concede but you know as well as I do what I meant... To say it's not remotely what's been said is disengenuous.

So tell me, if we're strictly talking TRUTH, then where in all this does it become qualified as fact that KW & DR were poor players before Poch's magic wand?

Why are you highlighting words as if they are someone crucial to the point?

It's also completely opposite to suggest I make some sort of "arrogant" statements when I purely reconfirmed my opinion. Can I not express my opinion without somehow needing to commission a book on the subject. As you asked, I'll break down your response though:

KW was never faultless, but was already young player of the year and knocking on the door for a permanent England spot (vs Clyne). Poch improved Walker sure, he's didn't 'make' him.

He was young player of the year in 2011/12. In that season he made two appearances, one of which was a 5 minute cameo. by the end of the next season, he had 4 caps. Not sure how that somehow made him a candidate for a permanent England spot, nor do I see how Clyne was competing with him, as he didn't make his England debut until late 2014 (when Poch was with us).

I also didn't mention anything about Poch "making" him. That's wildly out of context if you've dug that out of the statement that Poch will "mak(e) the next person just as good".

DR... The progress is a bit more startling and may be more directly attributed to Poch, but can't say I shared the rather scathing opinion of Danny that many here did early doors. Many forget he debuted as a winger for us, not a FB, so was a bit behind in his 'defensive development'

So it's hard to see if you're disagreeing that DR was poor, or just avoiding it by going way out of context. For the sake of it though, just because he used to be a winger didn't not make him a poor defender. That's like saying Kane is a cracking goalie because he is a striker, so is a bit behind in his 'keeper development'.

, but by the time he came back from Sunderland the hope was sewn that he'd at least make the grade for us...

Yes, the hope was sewn, but he came back from Sunderland straight into the Poch/Sherwood season looking like a reluctant left back who secretly wanted to be a midfielder (which he admitted). He had a poor season, and referenced it only a couple of months ago:

"The stick I received was very unfair and I was very unhappy after that season (2013-14). This is the first time I have had a manager who has taken time to show me what I need to do better. That is why I have come on in leaps and bounds.

“I have done lots of drills, had one-to-one meetings with the manager, looked at video clips from training and games. I might sit in his office for anything from half-an-hour to two hours, discussing football.

So, as per the above, he was poor. Poch brought in Davies for competition, and Rose improved dramatically.

So here's what we know:

- Rose wasn't very good for Spurs before Pochettino was manager. He now is, and attributes Pochettino for that transformation
- Walker wasn't very good for Spurs before Pochettino was manager. He now is, but has not (to my knowledge) commented on Pochettino's influence on that
- Pochettino also had two very good full backs at Southampton(Shaw/Clyne), who were both raved about as being the future of England's defence and were sought after as two of the best in the league
- Those two players are now no where near that level

Finally, we get to the point where you could have saved all this by seeing what several people have point out based on the above:

The point is, if Kyle Walker does leave, history suggests quite strongly that Pochettino will be able to replace him without much of an issue. A player doesn't have to look good now in order to turn into a fantastic full/wing back under Poch. That doesn't mean "literally any clown with a pair of boots" (kudos for the dramatic hyperbole) - it means someone like KWP, trippier or another player he might choose to bring in.

It's like nearly every one s resigned to losing Walker, based on what?

If he's agitating for a move, or had a row with Pochettino & there is unrest doubt he'd be in the squad.
See Townsend, etc.
It would be a massive blow if he left now. It would send out the wrong messages. He's in his prime, a major part of our revival and we are letting him go. Especially when he just signed a new improved deal to 2021, with ( most of) the other key players and we have CL.
We would be open for sale. Those contracts would mean fuck all.
Trippier is not ready to step up and there are not many right wing backs available. Are we to go a season with KWP as deputy to Trippier in the CL?

Back
Top Bottom