KF Shkendija vs Tottenham Hotspur 24th September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was 2am when the game finished so I thought I'd leave posting until this morning, can't believe some of the negative comments on here - just how many trolls do we have?

This was yet another away game against players nobody knows on a dodgy pitch, there was no upside either we win or it's a total disaster, the classic cup banana skin.

So what happened? We dominated from the start scored after 5 minutes and should have been out of sight after 30 minutes, brave defending and decent keeping coupled with less than clinical finishing kept the game close, so at half time 1-0 up the opposition having had zero attempts on goal.

Second half they score with their only shot on target all night a twenty yard screamer, the lad probably filled his shorts, this goal and playing 27 minutes for Hamburg in 2015 were his career highlight moments.

But we didn't worry to much, three changes and two goals in the next 15 minutes saw us comfortably through, job well done.

As for individual players, a good run out for Ndombele, Lamela was more than decent, the defence whilst under almost no pressure was very disciplined none of those brain-farts we're so used to seeing, and Son and Kane are well simply the best striking pair around, who didn't know that?

Considering this was Shkendija ranked below 400 in Europe, we were expected to win and we won, satisfactory job done on to the next game.

I would've agreed more if Spurs had rolled both of these teams 5-0. But clearly there's enough potential of an upset that it's only fair to give the smaller leagues the chance to compete in the same pool as the big ones. On recent evidence, 1st place in the Farmer's League isn't as far away from 6th place in the PL as one might think.
I just wanted to add to this that even though England is my only team, I wouldn't sacrifice the fairness of allowing San Marino et al. to compete for Euro/WC qualification, even if it would benefit me and my team to do so (mainly by making the time between major tournaments infinitely more interesting).

Every country should be allowed to compete for any award for which they're eligible and there should be no favouritism towards bigger, better sides when creating the competitive structures. You do that and it's a slippery slope of subjectivity: who decides which nations are good enough to try qualifying for the major tournaments? You also take away possibilities for some of the all-time greatest upsets in sports, which is pretty much the only thing that unites almost everyone (except those on the receiving end!).

Hell, I don't like even the fact that the FA Cup has byes. But I understand the difficult balance of pragmatic concerns once you reach the stage of pitting genuine amateurs against world-stage pros.

I think there's fair criticism of Son to be had. He is a total enigma. In between scoring great goals a lot of what he does is absolutely fucking wank. His general play with the ball is sloppy, he rarely seems to have the fucking thing under control in middle areas, he seems incapable of making simple passes much of the time, he constantly gets himself offside and without the ball he can be lazy (improved a bit under Mourinho) and very fucking flimsy.

But then he scores some wonderful and important goals and pops up with the odd assist, they are rarely complex assists - like a couple of Kane's were for him Sunday for example - but some of his finishing is absolutely top draw. One of the best two footed finishers and 1 v1 finishers in the league right now.

He's only once scored more than 12 goals in any league season, here or Germany, and I think it's a combination of that enigmatic ability to be really shit for long periods, and because also the rest of his game, his overall contribution to team play etc and work without the ball has meant that despite his goal exploits, he hasn't always been seen as a sure starter in his teams, or given enough minutes to increase that tally, including us under Poch.

Last edited:
I think there's fair criticism of Son to be had. He is a total enigma. In between scoring great goals a lot of what he does is absolutely fucking wank. His general play with the ball is sloppy, he rarely seems to have the fucking thing under control in middle areas, he seems incapable of making simple passes much of the time, he constantly gets himself offside and without the ball he can be lazy (improved a bit under Mourinho) and very fucking flimsy.

But then he scores some wonderful and important goals and pops up with the odd assist, they are rarely complex assists - like a couple of Kane's were for him Sunday for example - but some of his finishing is absolutely top draw. One of the best two footed finishers and 1 v1 finishers in the league right now.

He's only once scored more than 12 goals in any league season, here or Germany, and I think it's a combination of that enigmatic ability to be really shit for long periods, and because also the rest of his game, his overall contribution to team play etc and work without the ball has meant that despite his goal exploits, he hasn't always been seen as a sure starter in his teams, including us under Poch.
Bold post. It's controversial but it covers most of the criticism - some of it necessary - that I would level at Son, so I'll choose to add an agree. I still believe he's a world class player - one of only two at Spurs imo - but he has weaknesses like everyone else, including Kane.

Edit: Maybe Lloris is still world class. He certainly was at one point and has been heading back in the right direction for a while now.

He's only once scored more than 12 goals in any league season, here or Germany, and I think it's a combination of that enigmatic ability to be really shit for long periods, and because also the rest of his game, his overall contribution to team play etc and work without the ball has meant that despite his goal exploits, he hasn't always been seen as a sure starter in his teams, including us under Poch.

Wasn't Son in the top 4 goal scorers in Germany for three seasons in a row, or something like that?

He's very consistent at being on target over the course of a season, which is the main thing. Most successful attackers don't offer much else other than scoring and assists, which is fine because that's their job.

It's really not common to have a terrier like Tevez, or a pass master like Kane. Even the returning Bale could go missing in games.

A couple of things are hopefully becoming painfully obvious to Mourinho. We have a really fucking flawed bunch of attacking players. Lamela, Moura, Bergwijn, Alli I would happily ship out every single one of them - and I hope once this windows over and we've addressed some of the other areas - even though I don't think we've made a great job of it (god knows I'd love a proper fucking quality 6) - I really hope we set about swapping out most of the cunts we've got bumbling about up there now, I'm fucking sick of watching the same fucking faces doing the same shit. Our midfielders get plenty of shit, much of it justified, but when the midfielders have the ball our forwards - and Mourinho continually plays 4 of the fuckers - just don't fucking move, or their movement is unintelligent and just stifles play.

And they are mostly lazy, flimsy or stupid without the ball. That goal today was easily preventable if Alli and Bergwijn just take responsibility and track back, but they think fuck it, someone else will get it.

The other thing becoming obvious I hope, and that is Mourinho needs to find a way to get Ndombele and Lo Celso on the same pitch. He needs to switch to a 433, stink one of the other cunts in the middle of them - Hojbjerg probably - as we are so much better and more decisive and creative with these two on the pitch, more able to control and play some football through midfield.

Mourinho has got to drop one of the wanky forward bunch and use that place to make sure we have Lo Celso and Ndombele on the pitch, because both of these are more likely to play an incisive pass than any of the above bunch of fuck-bumblers.

Who is he in your first question?

To be fair, the second question about claiming to be world champions has always bothered me. I find labeling our domestic league winners “world champions” a little arrogant.
1) The person who I responded to. Maybe you missed his post? Not important, but it was Spaniel.

2) sure, but if the rest of the world “doesn’t play” those sports. Why would they care.

1) The person who I responded to. Maybe you missed his post? Not important, but it was Spaniel.

2) sure, but if the rest of the world “doesn’t play” those sports. Why would they care.

1) Fair. I didn’t see your reply to Spaniel.

2) The Japanese baseball league is quite good. They actually play an all star versus all star series every year and the Japanese league often wins. With respect to basketball, national teams other than the US national teams have won multiple international competitions. With respect to American football, you’re absolutely right.

He's only once scored more than 12 goals in any league season, here or Germany, and I think it's a combination of that enigmatic ability to be really shit for long periods, and because also the rest of his game, his overall contribution to team play etc and work without the ball has meant that despite his goal exploits, he hasn't always been seen as a sure starter in his teams, or given enough minutes to increase that tally, including us under Poch.

As I have said many times before Son is basically an out and out goal scorer and we need to play to his strengths. If he was played in a front 2 with Kane he would score way more than when he is stuck out wide. I’m not quite sure how that can happen when Bale comes in because presumably we will then play a 4-3-3 with Son and Bale playing wide, neither one being good at tracking back.Same thing in a 4-2-3-1 where they would probably play either side of Lo Celso. Or maybe Son plays in a more advanced position with Kane doing what he did against Southampton.

Either way we cannot leave out Son , nor should we underestimate his value to the team.

As I have said many times before Son is basically an out and out goal scorer and we need to play to his strengths. If he was played in a front 2 with Kane he would score way more than when he is stuck out wide. I’m not quite sure how that can happen when Bale comes in because presumably we will then play a 4-3-3 with Son and Bale playing wide, neither one being good at tracking back.Same thing in a 4-2-3-1 where they would probably play either side of Lo Celso. Or maybe Son plays in a more advanced position with Kane doing what he did against Southampton.

Either way we cannot leave out Son , nor should we underestimate his value to the team.

I'm not undervaluing it, I'm saying it's complex and not straight forward, hence "enigma". he brings great things and shit things in the same package. I agree, right now he's a starter, no mistake, because he's by far the most productive of all the bumbling flawed options, but there's compromises too.

For me his best position is as a wide left forward in a 433. I hope we switch to it.

A couple of things are hopefully becoming painfully obvious to Mourinho. We have a really fucking flawed bunch of attacking players. Lamela, Moura, Bergwijn, Alli I would happily ship out every single one of them - and I hope once this windows over and we've addressed some of the other areas - even though I don't think we've made a great job of it (god knows I'd love a proper fucking quality 6) - I really hope we set about swapping out most of the cunts we've got bumbling about up there now, I'm fucking sick of watching the same fucking faces doing the same shit. Our midfielders get plenty of shit, much of it justified, but when the midfielders have the ball our forwards - and Mourinho continually plays 4 of the fuckers - just don't fucking move, or their movement is unintelligent and just stifles play.

And they are mostly lazy, flimsy or stupid without the ball. That goal today was easily preventable if Alli and Bergwijn just take responsibility and track back, but they think fuck it, someone else will get it.

The other thing becoming obvious I hope, and that is Mourinho needs to find a way to get Ndombele and Lo Celso on the same pitch. He needs to switch to a 433, stink one of the other cunts in the middle of them - Hojbjerg probably - as we are so much better and more decisive and creative with these two on the pitch, more able to control and play some football through midfield.

Mourinho has got to drop one of the wanky forward bunch and use that place to make sure we have Lo Celso and Ndombele on the pitch, because both of these are more likely to play an incisive pass than any of the above bunch of fuck-bumblers.
Good couple of posts BC - Son is like a lot of forwards going as far back in my memory as Jimmy Greaves, get more than 25 yards from goal and everything becomes very average (OK the occasional 70 yard run beating 8 players) but that apart passing, tackling, positioning all nothing to write home about, however once inside that 25 yards it's all quality. Son is one of the best if not the very best one on one, or just putting the ball into an empty net past a couple of defenders, that I've ever seen. Other strikers may have a much better all around game but when it comes to nerve jangling really should score here, Son's our man.

Playing with Bale and Kane slightly behind him, which is how I see us lining up, creating hopefully even more Son one v one opportunities, then this season could easily be 20+ ... fingers crossed.

As for the rest of the attacking bunch you're harsh but fair, Dele currently has no role neither a goal scorer nor a creator we just don't play with a spare man anymore. Lamela, Moura good off the bench and for me to early to say on Bergwijn, but if you're playing a front three there is no starting spot for any of them, we have Clarke, Sessegnon and some under 23's as well so selling one or both of Lamela and Moura works for me.

Midfield is still not there, if you're playing a front three you should have two defensive minded midfield players, we have Dier? Winks? Fernandes? and Hojbjerg none of whom would be classed as top quality defensive midfield, that said put them alongside a Kimmich, Kante, Casemiro level player and that would work, a true world class defensive midfield player is what we lack no surprise they are as rare as rockin' horse shit.

If you had a real quality defensive midfielder then you could play Ndombele and LoCelso together, we can still go with Hojbjerg, Ndombele and LoCelso but that's setting us up to win 5-4 every game, Ardilles would love it but it's never been Mourinho's style.

Side note - Dele played as one of the front two tonight it wasn't his job to be covering opposition attackers 25 yards out, there were 4 Spurs defenders and 4 Spurs midfield players who should have been doing that job before him ... blame them for not closing down but tonight that wasn't on Dele.

The defence is what it is, we have 5 CB's and 5 FB's, if we can do a one out - one in and improve the quality of our CB's, plus replace Danny at FB nobody would be unhappy with that.

Not a popular opinion to have cos everyone has to love Sonny but most of this is true. Can be dynamite like on Sunday but can be dogshit like against Everton and Plovdiv. Those who disagree that he has runs of performances where he can’t put a foot right or is anonymous either have short memories or don’t watch Spurs much and are caught up in the romanticism of his 4 goal performance against Southampton. Still a very important player for Spurs but imho not consistent enough to be considered amongst the very very best

I'm not undervaluing it, I'm saying it's complex and not straight forward, hence "enigma". he brings great things and shit things in the same package. I agree, right now he's a starter, no mistake, because he's by far the most productive of all the bumbling flawed options, but there's compromises too.

For me his best position is as a wide left forward in a 433. I hope we switch to it.
:mourloopy:
Lol, shit things?! another whiner.... we have so much whiners!!!!
They cry like they have small weeners.
Son is world class so quit your whining and get a girl or something.

Good couple of posts BC - Son is like a lot of forwards going as far back in my memory as Jimmy Greaves, get more than 25 yards from goal and everything becomes very average (OK the occasional 70 yard run beating 8 players) but that apart passing, tackling, positioning all nothing to write home about, however once inside that 25 yards it's all quality. Son is one of the best if not the very best one on one, or just putting the ball into an empty net past a couple of defenders, that I've ever seen. Other strikers may have a much better all around game but when it comes to nerve jangling really should score here, Son's our man.

Playing with Bale and Kane slightly behind him, which is how I see us lining up, creating hopefully even more Son one v one opportunities, then this season could easily be 20+ ... fingers crossed.

As for the rest of the attacking bunch you're harsh but fair, Dele currently has no role neither a goal scorer nor a creator we just don't play with a spare man anymore. Lamela, Moura good off the bench and for me to early to say on Bergwijn, but if you're playing a front three there is no starting spot for any of them, we have Clarke, Sessegnon and some under 23's as well so selling one or both of Lamela and Moura works for me.

Midfield is still not there, if you're playing a front three you should have two defensive minded midfield players, we have Dier? Winks? Fernandes? and Hojbjerg none of whom would be classed as top quality defensive midfield, that said put them alongside a Kimmich, Kante, Casemiro level player and that would work, a true world class defensive midfield player is what we lack no surprise they are as rare as rockin' horse shit.

If you had a real quality defensive midfielder then you could play Ndombele and LoCelso together, we can still go with Hojbjerg, Ndombele and LoCelso but that's setting us up to win 5-4 every game, Ardilles would love it but it's never been Mourinho's style.

Side note - Dele played as one of the front two tonight it wasn't his job to be covering opposition attackers 25 yards out, there were 4 Spurs defenders and 4 Spurs midfield players who should have been doing that job before him ... blame them for not closing down but tonight that wasn't on Dele.

The defence is what it is, we have 5 CB's and 5 FB's, if we can do a one out - one in and improve the quality of our CB's, plus replace Danny at FB nobody would be unhappy with that.
Out of interest do you think if we lose Rose we need another LB?
I also wonder about Serge - if he goes do we sign a replacement or does Jose see Tanganga as a back up for Doherty?

Ideal world he may not but he's also got to be realistic about financing the striker and centre half he wants - it may mean we don't replace Serge if he goes.

Maybe cashing in on Alli will provide a lot of the money needed?

Back
Top Bottom