Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Take your self out of the situation. Imagine a manager had brought on an 18 year old for half hour at the end of a game when the team is playing rubbish negative football and he doesnt do much but far from disgraced himself. Then the manager publically says , told you he was rubbish. That's absolutely shocking management. Awful.

And for what its worth I was at the under 23 game on Monday and parrott was another level. The only thing he disrespected was wolves because he destroyed them.
He’s always been terrible with youth, especially attackers.
You look at the young players he does promote, the McTomminay’s the Tanganga’s, all physically capable players that will graft and fit defensive tactics. He also only gave Morata a chance at Madrid because he’s tall.

I think some of us can be excused for not believing in the guy who cast aside Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea and had United fanbase at loggerheads over Martial and Rashford.

Or maybe it’s really hard to be 18 and good enough to play well against a PL team. Players develop differently, maybe Gilmour is primed to be one of the next great CMs in the world. He looks like a potentially great one.

But our youth setup has produced Skipp who played well last night, Tanganga who is a regular squad player now, Winks who has been a starter for a couple seasons, and of course Harry Kane.

Just because some youth players are ready for PL minutes as teenagers doesn’t mean they all need to be or else the youth system is hopeless.
Gilmour started as 9 year old with Rangers but it didn't happen for him there think when he turned from schoolboy age to professional he went to Chelsea why he went there I'm not sure but in the old firms case they were both as guilty as each other of not giving young players a chance umpteen youngsters showed promise but were lost due to both preferring sub standard foreign players but this is a thread for another day. Agree Tanganga shows promise Kane we don't even need to discuss Winks well you can read match threads for yourself regards him as Skipp hasn't really had a chance so jury's out but do you think the aforementioned players Tangana,Skipp,Winks I'll include Kane we hit the jackpot with him but do you think that's a fair return from our academy/ youth set up.

All of which IMO can be addressed by coaching a team to play a certain way. I hate it but if that means sit in a low block all game then why not actually do that well. Perfect it, build confidence in performing that well, take pride in shutting teams out, become Atleti and be the hardest team in the league to break down.

Then, look to working on counters, if that's a hoof into the channels then pick a side, have players look for that channel and then support that channel with an overload, or even a run to the front post so Lucas who doesn't look up will know where his teammate is heading without ever having to look up.
I think that is what he may have been getting at when he spoke about Wolves' player recruitment methods; with the collection of players we have here, there does not appear to be a single system/style of play known to man that will suit them.

I don't watch Atletico because I hate that style of play, but what I do know is that we do not have any combination of midfielders that will give our defenders confidence; confidence that those midfielders will receive the ball from them under pressure, and confidence that they will do a good job in screening them.

The lack of passing options for whomever is on the ball at the moment is fucking stultifying. I don't know how much more of it I can take.

All of which IMO can be addressed by coaching a team to play a certain way. I hate it but if that means sit in a low block all game then why not actually do that well. Perfect it, build confidence in performing that well, take pride in shutting teams out, become Atleti and be the hardest team in the league to break down.

Alright then, fair enough.

So who are you playing as our back line then, to absolutely shut out the opposition. Who are you playing at RB and LB?

How exactly are we playing out of this, to attempt to score some sort of goal?

I have zero problem with anyone saying 'can't stand Jose. Don't want him buying any players. He'll just buy a lampost for a number nine and some old codgers in midfield'.

But for the life of me, I cannot fathom what magical instructions people expect him to couch into the current squad.

I don't watch Atletico because I hate that style of play, but what I do know is that we do not have any combination of midfielders that will give our defenders confidence; confidence that those midfielders will receive the ball from them under pressure, and confidence that they will do a good job in screening them.

Our front three and midfield standing stone-still and watching Aarons pass the ball along the ground to Cantwell about a foot outside our D was honestly the most passive I have ever seen us play. Certainly can't remember anything as lethargic as that.

And then people were saying Cantwell is getting the better of Skipp! Of course he fucking is, what in God's name is Skipp supposed to do; lunge in and concede a foul? Where's he going to shepherd him? How can he stop Cantwell having all the time in the world to turn and pick his pass?

The problem for me is that I used to look forward to watching a Tottenham game. Now I'm dreading them. I was Poch out. But Mourinho. Fucking dinosaur. It's soo boring.

[FORMATION][/FORMATION]
I disagree. Abraham to my eyes excelled at Villa in the Championship last season, he deserved being played at CF for chavs (albeit we are well aware of the circumstances re their ban). He got off to a flyer early part of the season but it was clear that his game was very one dimensional, nothing overly concerning at this stage in his development but he IMO has been sussed out by the oppo, teams did it to Kane and Dele early on and they were often doubled up on or CB's got really tight to Kane but Kane developed and learnt how to role is man. Loads of other examples. Mount has loads of energy and presses like a demon but aside from odd flashes of good No 10 play, his decision making is poor (as you would expect), his decision to shoot against Liverpool in the 2nd half rather than lay the ball off to Pedro(??) the other night was a classic.

Martinelli for Woolwich is just going through a dip and Willock, Chambers, Holding, Maitland-Niles, Nelson are all struggling in every game they play.

Look at the Utd young kids, with the exception of Greenwood I don't think any of them have individually excelled but they are gaining in confidence as a team and as a collective, there is a nucleus of a team there.

The thing they are not ready at that age, no one is, every game is a lesson.

I think Tanganga hasn't put in a better performance than his first game for us, the last couple actually haven't been at all good performances (I know he's been played out of position which doesn't help him immediately but it certainly does long term, welcome to club football) but we should stick with him, get this defence performing with him and the other young lads in it too, forming partnerships with each other, each pushing each other for a place in the side. It's time to get ahead of the game during this cluster fuck of a season so that we are prepared and ready for next season.

On the ball, Foyth is better than Tanganga and Sanchez. He's the player that can step up out of defence with the ball at his feet as Jan has done so well for us. His development around this is picking his moment to do it.

Name me one academy product that from any side that's "ready".
Long reply but OK.
I would accept Willock and Saka tomorrow. Swap for Ndombele ?
Rashford did ok from the start.
I watched Maddison at Coventry before he went to Norwich. He's done ok.
I don't rate Mount and cannot believe he is ahead of Grealish or Maddison .

So just to make this clear, you aren’t making any point about Parrott at all, but are concerned that Jose Mourinho is going to make fans mad based on things he said? I mean, this applies to every manager, fans need to have thicker skin.
For me personally, yeah, it's not whether he plays or not.

It's how it's managed and communicated. I think he's handling it (lack of striker moaning and then freezing out a striker who may or may not be a solution he claims he doesn't have) terribly so far and it is already causing fans to kick off over it and has become a big thing in the media.

I think so...first 20 or so we’re looking okay (poor after, mind). I see improvement...would have been nice to have seen what would have happened without our key injuries.

Also, I’m sure Jose is using the time to work out who’s dead-weight...
Hasn't taken him long to work out that Ndombele is a large dead-weight. He must wish that he had the £55m to spend instead.
I agree with you but Spurs fans won't put up with this rancid football for long.

They play right through us because we have one of the worst midfields in the Premier League.

In all seriousness, do any of our centre midfielders get any game time for anyone else in the top 7?

Guys like Wink, Skipp and Ndombele would never see the field if they played for Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Leicester, United or Wolves given their current form.

This goes back to Jose's analogy a few weeks ago to the team being like trying to sleep with a blanket that's too short. If we attack, we're open defensively. If we defend, we can't score.

Our midfield is a train wreck right now. Our midfield is so limited right now that we get run off the field by everyone we play.
Completely disagree with that. How many of the Leipzig team have you heard of? It's not about the individual players, it's about the system.

So who are you playing as our back line then, to absolutely shut out the opposition. Who are you playing at RB and LB?

I have zero problem with anyone saying 'can't stand Jose. Don't want him buying any players. He'll just buy a lampost for a number nine and some old codgers in midfield'.

But for the life of me, I cannot fathom what magical instructions people expect him to couch into the current squad.
There is an adage that any team can be set up to defend, in our pomp we faced many "lesser" sides who would do a good job to shut us out, same with teams doing it to City and Liverpool. Pullis made a career out of it with Rayn Shawcross at the epicentre and Delap lobbing in throws into the "mixer". Sean Dyche, Steve Bruce and Roy Hodgeson all putting up low blocks that teams are struggling to penetrate.

As I said I absolutely don't want us to play this way, but we have a manager famed for his pragmatism he failing at being pragmatic. Time to perfect something, build some pride in setting out to accomplish something, then build off that. *crying into my keyboard.

We only have one player with something approaching blistering pace (so, that means it's a non-runner straight away). And you'd have to look at selling Kane, because that set-up would be hopeless for a player of his qualities.

Wolves currently have Raul Jimenez, Jota, Neto, Podence, Adama and Campana as attacking options, also had the luxury of being able to flog Cutrone in January as well..... we simply do not have that kind of depth available to us at present, what can we do about that? Not a lot until a window opens or a player returns from injury.

The difference is you've seen enough to determine that Mourinho won't turn it into a positive Guido, I wish to wait until we see Bergwijn, Dele, Son and Kane in the same team and him get more than 30 days of a transfer window to swing it around.

I think we were in damage limitation mode. Confidence slaughtered, points and position in the table dwindling, spirit non-existent and style shot to pieces and cumbersome. I saw building blocks being put in place with what we had, others demanded fireworks. As I said it just depends on your perception of where we are and what we should expect under the circumstances mate.

Spot on. Based on last and this seasons form, when Poch went the season was looking like a write-off. We could yet continue in the CL and finish with some form of European competition next year.

It will end in tears. As always. But give the fucker a chance. These players are not up to it and we are in damage limitation mode, that could still yield some positives.

Anytime levy has bought big (but still within players sold money) , they've been complete flops ala Soldado, Ndombele.

The guy doesn't have experience in buying big. Doesn't know what he's doing. We need a DoF that Mourinho knows, someone that's been there and done it when it comes to buying more expensive players.

There is an adage that any team can be set up to defend, in our pomp we faced many "lesser" sides who would do a good job to shut us out, same with teams doing it to City and Liverpool. Pullis made a career out of it with Rayn Shawcross at the epicentre and Delap lobbing in throws into the "mixer". Sean Dyche, Steve Bruce and Roy Hodgeson all putting up low blocks that teams are struggling to penetrate.

As I said I absolutely don't want us to play this way, but we have a manager famed for his pragmatism he failing at being pragmatic. Time to perfect something, build some pride in setting out to accomplish something, then build off that. *crying into my keyboard.

About the only thing we haven't tried so far (I think), is 4/4/2.

What about swallowing all our pride and playing a back four of Davies at LB, Toby and one other (as Toby is our best long passer) and Tanganga at RB.

Then play Sessegnon left mid, and Aurier right mid - telling both that they need to remember they're defenders too. We'd have to have some sort of protection in front of the CBs, so Skipp or Winks (best we got) and then Lo Celso in the middle. Ndombele and Gedson would come on as and when. If tiredness and physical demands are too much, we need to revolve our players.

Lord knows who we would play up top, but if we're going full Stoke, let's do it properly. Dele and one other. Fuck knows.

About the only thing we haven't tried so far (I think), is 4/4/2.

What about swallowing all our pride and playing a back four of Davies at LB, Toby and one other (as Toby is our best long passer) and Tanganga at RB.

Then play Sessegnon left mid, and Aurier right mid - telling both that they need to remember they're defenders too. We'd have to have some sort of protection in front of the CBs, so Skipp or Winks (best we got) and then Lo Celso in the middle. Ndombele and Gedson would come on as and when. If tiredness and physical demands are too much, we need to revolve our players.

Lord knows who we would play up top, but if we're going full Stoke, let's do it properly. Dele and one other. Fuck knows.
Sessegnon has not shown himself to be any where near ready for first team premier league football.

He wasn't even good enough to start for Fulham last year and they were abysmal.

Davies is not good but Sessegnon is even worse right now. We need a new left back.

Back
Top Bottom