Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The museum will take care of a lot of the history.

I can’t agree that Venables or Ramos deserve much more than a foot note in history and El Tel needs to look at what he took from Spurs before he looks at what he gave us, that’s his horrible legacy. Shame really.

I’d be happy with a statue on each corner of the stadium surround. Nicholson, Hoddle, Perryman & Greaves for me.
There would have to be one for Arthur Rowe.
Born and bred in Tottenham too.

The battle goes on for Jimmy Greaves' gong: 357 goals in English top-flight but still no MBE - Sportsmail continue to fight for recognition legendary striker deserves after 80-year-old was left out of Queen's birthday honours

Reading through this thread has reignited an anger that has burned inside me for 28 years now, the shameful resetting of records to accomodate the fucking "Premier League Era", that at a stroke airbrushed so many greats from football history for most.

Let us pause to remember another leviathan, Sir Dixie Dean, whose monumental feat of 60 goals in a season has been largely forgotten beyond Goodison Park.

But hey, Mohammed Salah scored 32 a couple of years ago, which is far more noteworthy

I didn't realise that Greaves hadn't been recognised by the honours system. I just took it for granted that he already had.

It seems an insult to such a great player that he is given the lowest of the honours for services to football when he hasn't played in the top tier for 50 years.

Why award it now? Because he's old and frail and next year might be too late?

I'll say it again. It's an insult.

I don't like the honours system but if there is to be one then there should be some kind of consistency to them.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (a good actor but let's not get carried away here - awarded a CBE when he was 37)

Jimmy Greaves (awarded the MBE when he was 80)

What a joke.

For fuck's sake... Harry Kane!!

A great, great player but he was born FIFTY THREE YEARS AFTER Greaves and he STILL got the MBE before Greaves did!!!

Just ridiculous.

The greatest English striker of all time and probably the greatest Spur of all time.Legend is an overused word but on this occasion it doesn’t go far enough.Rest in peace Jimmy, your legend and legacy will live forever.

United fan here. I saw Jimmy play when he was in his pomp and he was phenomenal. I went to my first United v Spurs game in December 1963 in the old ECWC so I go back a long way. The Spurs game was a fixture we always looked forward to because it was always a great game with lots of goals and the giants of the game on the pitch. When you've got the likes of Charlton, Best, Law, Greaves, Gilzean, and Venables playing, there was always magic in the air.

I hope I speak for all United fans in wishing Jimmy well. He was one of England's finest players and was a credit to his country and his great club. Get well soon old lad.
Yep, I was lucky enough to be at the Lane for some of those great games in the 60s. For me Bobby Charlton is the greatest ever English player, and to see him on the same pitch with Jimmy and to see them both scoring trademark goals as happened in 1965, unforgettable stuff.

I can so easily just close my eyes and go back 50 years and remember the game, the friends I was with (one has already sadly passed on), the crowd ... I tell you, I'm on the verge on getting tearful, so I'll stop being a silly old man, and end the post here :)

There have been various good articles about Jimmy lately, but time and again the key stat(s) about him are missed out.

His 357 top flight goals still leads the way in English football. (Hence my '357 best ever' name tag) Shearer gets a lot of praise for being the Prem leading scorer and rightly so, but Greaves outscored him by quite a distance, and has outscored every English top flight player EVER! (That includes foreign players like Henry, Van Persie, whoever as well.)

Also missed out time and again is Greavesie is still the leading scorer in all the 'Big 5 leagues'

Yep, more than Muller, Puskas, Law, Dean, Messi, Ronaldo (though the latter two may overtake him) you name 'em, Greavesie has currently outscored all of them in the very top leagues.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...me-list-scorers-Europe-s-big-five-league.html

Whilst it's lovely to see Jimmy with his family, the poor old bugger looks really unhappy.

I know it's an old cliche but seeing photos like the one of Jimmy and knowing he was England's greatest ever centre forward, a sportsman at his peak, reminds me to be thankful for every healthy day

My first game was in 1969, Jimmy's last season, and unfortunately he didn't score. I don't remember much of the game, although I do remember Jimmy swearing at a linesman for calling him offside ( I was right up the front, standing near the corner of the East Stand/Paxton). I learned quite a few choice words that day, I can tell you - mum wasn't impressed!

The battle goes on for Jimmy Greaves' gong: 357 goals in English top-flight but still no MBE - Sportsmail continue to fight for recognition legendary striker deserves after 80-year-old was left out of Queen's birthday honours

It's bullshit!

People forget how loved he was as a TV personality too....

Jimmy's a national treasure.

ElMserwWkAIdYFU

Back
Top Bottom