Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why put him at CB when he seems to be doing better at RB?

Is he doing better at RB?

He was fine today, but stood out more because of how bad others were around him. He didn't really get up the field or provide much in terms of attack.

From watching him while he has good speed for a CB, he is not fast enough up and down the pitch for a FB and I haven't seen enough from him in terms of passing or crossing to think he would be a good fit there. At CB he seems to have the potential to be very good, maybe great. At RB his potential seems to be adequate at best.

Too short to play in the middle hence why he is always being played out wide.

I'd much rather have a guy who is too short, but has a head for defending, can deal with a ball at his feet and offers ball movement from the position than a tall guy who panics when the ball is within 10 feet of him.

Only positive from yesterday's match. However his appearances need to be managed as last year he made a very good debut but then mistakes crept in. Yesterday Holjberg was poor and not up to his usual standard. Davies is struggling. Both are playing too much and need a rest. We cannot just play Tanganga match after match after a season of inactivity. Once a week is better but tell him that so he knows that if he has a bad game and does not play the next game why it is. Now does he play in Europe or against the Spammers? Both or neither is not the answer.

Really not sure why some are obsessing over Tanganga's height - he's 6 foot so he's not conceding much height to most opponents........ and footballers the height of Peter Crouch are a rarity as exceptional height doesn't necessarily make the person a better footballer.

CCV is smaller than him and yet he's excelling at CB for Bournemouth currently.

To think, CCV is a year older than Tanganga, is a full international and has played 7.386 minutes as opposed to Tanganga playing just 1,745 minutes.

How much better could Tanganga have been having played an extra 6.000 minutes of competitive mens football!?

His development has been woeful. And in all honesty, would we look any worse having CCV as our fifth choice centre back over Tanganga?

Really not sure why some are obsessing over Tanganga's height - he's 6 foot so he's not conceding much height to most opponents........ and footballers the height of Peter Crouch are a rarity as exceptional height doesn't necessarily make the person a better footballer.
he dont look much bigger than mourinho and hes 5'9 so i doubt hes 6 foot.

Most internet searches come up with Tanganga's height being around 1.84 metres which is 6 foot.

But I'd prefer to focus discussion on his footballing performances rather than height.
me too. hes defo better than taller defenders like sanchez and possibly dier too. but his height will hold him back from reaching a certain level at CB unless he is unreal with the ball at his feet.

this is england after all, they love lumping balls into the box

Because he's better at CB
I know it’s only one game but he’s looked better at RB than both Aurier and Doherty. I think CBs can be rotated between Alderweireld, Sanchez, Dier and Rodon and whilst neither of them are solid choices, they’re probably ahead of Tanganga in the picking order. The only situation where I’d see Tanganga start at CB is a back 3.

I know it’s only one game but he’s looked better at RB than both Aurier and Doherty. I think CBs can be rotated between Alderweireld, Sanchez, Dier and Rodon and whilst neither of them are solid choices, they’re probably ahead of Tanganga in the picking order. The only situation where I’d see Tanganga start at CB is a back 3.

His performance wasn't even better than Aurier in the home fixture.

Bit harsh on Aurier he has been mainly decent this season other than a few mistakes. He has stepped up compare to previous years. Our biggest issue is the CB’s right now.

Back
Top Bottom