January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could

Not really- if the club have identified him as a worthy addition and the manager likes/wants him then 40m +/- ballpark for a player is a fair price from another Prem club, HG tax as well.

Assuming there is enough budgeted in the coffers and we can negotiate it down to what we're happy to pay of course.

We have had some gems in the market wrt to vfm lately, even a slight overspend can be allowed for from time to time.

Yeh the market is a lot harder that how we have made it look. We have been hitting gem after gem for well below normal price From Udogie to Sarr to Vacario and you have to say since Paratici has come the clubs transfer activity has gone from mostly shit to fantastic both in terms of quality of player and price.

Gallagher is a well know player in the prem who is a key player and captain for Chelsea and has been on good form. If Spurs were selling Gallagher I would expect us to sell to another prem team for at least £40 to 60m. Not saying we don’t look at alternatives that might be cheaper or maybe better but if the club believes he has the right attributes to grow the team long team then that price is as expected.

Could

Not really- if the club have identified him as a worthy addition and the manager likes/wants him then 40m +/- ballpark for a player is a fair price from another Prem club, HG tax as well.

Assuming there is enough budgeted in the coffers and we can negotiate it down to what we're happy to pay of course.

We have had some gems in the market wrt to vfm lately, even a slight overspend can be allowed for from time to time.

But why overspend on a player that doesn't have things you can't get without overspending?

My feeling is Ange didn't expect Sarr to be as good as he has been this season and he saw Gallagher as an essential piece of the puzzle during the summer window.

Now that we can see Sarr is the better player for his system in the premier league, maybe Gallagher isn't a player that we need to overspend on. Especially when there is the likes of Vermeeren, Hackney, and Wharton out there for half the price that have possibly even higher ceilings.

Last edited:
Could

People really need to understand this very simple concept. Daniel Levy will not give Chelsea the sweat off his ball sack. Its one of the few things I respect about him. No way in hell we give them 45-60 million to break them out of FFP jail. Can people not see THIS moment is what Levy bet everything on.

Look at what's happening stand back a bit: Newcastle on record as having to sell a Gumarese or Gordon, Everton docked points with Braithwaite vulnerable, Wolves almost certainly having to sell Cuhna or Jota, and about to be docked points. Chelsea admitting one charge of rule breaches, with another dozen pending, Man City over one hundred charges. Woolwich have to sell to buy. Meanwhile at Spurs...four hundred million in wiggle room. This is what Daniel Levy wanted and he's not going to waste it. We are getting a world level forward come Summer. I'm talking Oshimen level. He has been a vocal proponent of FFP it must have killed him to sit through the age of the financial dopers, but now its the age of Ange and Levy has the ability to arm him properly.

Agreed but all turned sour in late 80's early 90's when rebuilding East stand cost double its original budget, debt reached circa £20m (when Spurs total revenue was a fraction of that, top players like Linkeker cost under £1.5m) a vast sum at the time. Things so dire Scholar (then Chairman) tried to sell Spurs to Robert Maxwell (later stole zillions from pension funds before dying) and only rescued from Maxwell by Sugar buying us.

Scholar turned a relatively wealthy club into a club with high debts through poor management, failed diversification into sports clothing etc.

Problem was the debts didn't change, no sugar daddies around, so Sugar sold off any assets he could and cut costs where possible so as to pay down debt.

Footballwise we had an excellent manager in David Pleat until 1987 followed by Terry Venables, another excellent manager both of whom put together very good teams with top players and came close to silverware (close to title in 1987, won FA Cup 1991), but Venables tenure ran in parallel with Sugar's cost cutting.

From the time Venables left Spurs (circa 1993) and rest of 90's we had squads with a few 'stars' (eg Sherringham) but much of the team were of lower quality - there just wasn't the money to buy quality players throughout the team - but for example in 1994 we brought in Klinsman, Dumitrescu and Popescu when we already had Sherringham and Anderton.

But the teams were not finishing high up the table and this coincided with the start of PL where finishing high up the table and playing in europe brought in large sums of money.

So Spurs were in the position where we had 'so so squads' needing more quality but not having the money to buy them in during the more money orientated PL. And the squad simply deteriorated over the 90's as the best players moved on or retired and there wasn't the money to bring in the good players.

The hard times really came into focus under manager Christian Gross in about 1997 with Spurs toying with relegation - and a few years when getting over 40 points was the season objective. .

The league positions reflect where we were :

1996/97 - 10th
1997/98 - 14th
1998/99 - 11th (but League Cup winner)
1999/00 - 10th
2000/01 - 12th
2001/02 - 9th (Sugar sells 27% of Spurs to ENIC, Levy becomes Chairman)
2002/03 - 10th
2003/04 - 14th
2004/05 - 9th
2005/06 - 5th (start of Spurs turnround under Martin Jol, and 'Lasagne gate')
2006/07 - 5th (Sugar sells rest of his shares to ENIC who them have majority control of Spurs)

So for a decade in the 90's through into about 2004 Spurs league position was much closer to what we now would associate with the likes of Crystal Palace or Fulham and reflects the quality of squad we had at that time. And to be clear, league position and europe determined most of the money received by clubs and cups generated very little - very different to pre PL times when winning cups generated decent money.

The start of the PL also started an era when match crowds increased and match day revenues increased - but Spurs missed out having a relatively small stadium of 36k capacity.

So by the time enic took majority ownership of Spurs
- the squad was in a poor way, but improving from 2004 onwards when our first Sporting Director, Frank Arnesen shredded the squad and brought in over 20 players for first team and u21's, lots of duds but also a handful of gems. Sadly Abramovich poached Arnesen a year later.
- A stadium not generating money and requiring replacement
- Very little assets left inside Spurs
- Low profitability and cash generation = very limited ability to buy good players.
- Spurs were firmly embedded in bottom half of the table, past glories many years in the past

So that's where Levy/enic started - with Spurs in a very bad place..

Taken 20 years to get to where we are partly poor choices (eg of managers), certainly Haringey council politics screwed the stadium development by a decade, Oil money and state money (including Russia financed Abramovich) buying PL clubs vastly increased the cost of doing business, covid intervening for 3 years just as the stadium opened and other outside changes being some of the reasons.

Could Levy have done things better or more quickly - quite possibly. But Hicks and Gilette screwed up Liverpool for years, and Glazers have been doing the same to ManU - both saddling their clubs with huge debts without improving the clubs fortunes - and Ashley trashed Newcastle etc, so we'd have been a lot worse with many other owners.
👏👏👏 felt the love in that post.

People really need to understand this very simple concept. Daniel Levy will not give Chelsea the sweat off his ball sack. Its one of the few things I respect about him. No way in hell we give them 45-60 million to break them out of FFP jail. Can people not see THIS moment is what Levy bet everything on.

Look at what's happening stand back a bit: Newcastle on record as having to sell a Gumarese or Gordon, Everton docked points with Braithwaite vulnerable, Wolves almost certainly having to sell Cuhna or Jota, and about to be docked points. Chelsea admitting one charge of rule breaches, with another dozen pending, Man City over one hundred charges. Woolwich have to sell to buy. Meanwhile at Spurs...four hundred million in wiggle room. This is what Daniel Levy wanted and he's not going to waste it. We are getting a world level forward come Summer. I'm talking Oshimen level. He has been a vocal proponent of FFP it must have killed him to sit through the age of the financial dopers, but now its the age of Ange and Levy has the ability to arm him properly.

Perfectly put amigo.

You don't build your entire life's work for this moment and then give away your advantage.

Not for Conor Gallagher and not from chelsea.

But why overspend on a player that doesn't have things you can get without overspending.

My feeling is Ange didn't expect Sarr to be as good as he has been this season and he saw Gallagher as an essential piece of the puzzle during the summer window.

Now that we can see Sarr is the better player for his system in the premier league, maybe Gallagher isn't a player that we need to overspend on. Especially when there is the likes of Vermeeren, Hackney, and Wharton out there for half the price that have possibly even higher ceilings.
Totally agree. If we're going to overspend do it for a top left wing forward or centre forward. Real game changers. If not now then summer. Son is our only truly top class forward and he's 32 next season.

But why overspend on a player that doesn't have things you can't get without overspending?

If we don't want or value him that highly then it's a moot point...

But our transfer record of late is pretty bang on, my point is if this is who we have decided to pursue then we don't really need concern ourselves with the price tag - 40-50m. I don't think we need to worry about THFC of all clubs overspending within their constraints and that for a player that will come to be part of the squad then a 40-50m price is easily justifiable.

Are there better players in fan xy or z's opinion? Always, is it too expensive in fan xy or z's opinion? Always - is 40-50m too expensive for a top end club to pay for a player they have identified and agreed upon as a target? Not at all

excellently put.

I know that complitaions never tell the whole story but i like the look of his play a lot. Sometimes you can just tell when someones got that extra bit of class.

Looks really mobile and able to cover ground but also technical.

More impressed by Wharton meself. A lot more impressed, actually.

Wharton looks like Vermeeren to me, more 6 than 8. But I really like the look of them both as well.

As with my other response to someone else if we aren't interested the discussion is moot - but all things being equal, if we have identified the player as a good fit and someone we want to pursue then the prices being bandied about are fair/realistic/affordable for us.

Back
Top Bottom