January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His here we go antics are getting very cringe
It's up there with a Paul Hollywood handshake, a Simon Cowell thumbs up, and a Craig Revell Horwood '10' ....
All have somehow become of very self-proclaimed importance... But aren't really!

In broad terms (and not to upset certain politically active fans), Haringey were under a Corbyn like council for years who seemed to never improve the area around Tottenham with almost zero new builds despite a swelling local population. Tottenham area used to be 'gentile' and even middle class to look at the older buildings around the area when Spurs first joined league in early 1900's but was largely rebuilt post war (mainly I think in the 60's) as a 'concrete' jungle with little social space and had become an area inhabited by less well off people, many not working and others in low paid jobs tending to be cramped in deteriorating housing/area....... and nothing changing as local council didn't believe in changing people's lives for the better (sad but true - politically better to let people complain and local Cotrbynist council blame government whether labour or conservative) .

Spurs wanting to rebuild a stadium was proposed but was totally against the political requirements of the local council (private company, change, rebuilding in the area etc) from the earlyish 2000's onwards.

There was a rude awakening in 2011 for both local council and national government with a major riot, looting of shops etc over a few days and nights - the demands of the locals very quickly became focussed on 'change' - more and better housing, more employment, better chances in life and (I think) they had seen many areas boom in the last 20 years, but their area going downhill.

The riots set in motion a realisation for the council that things needed to change, Levy re-put forward the prospect of hundreds of millions investment in a local stadium (with big crowds spending money in the local area) plus a commitment to build housing in the area with several early developments being 100% for social housing with amenities such as school, medical centre and other amenities (much of the list reflecting the type of changes demanded by locals and rioters).

The first major housing build (before the stadium) was Brook House (some 100+ flats finished to a good standard (almost zero complaints from new residents - sadly unusual these days where new build quality is often poor) and all 100% social housing together with a primary school, leisure area and some business space to employ locals. More housing has followed to a similar standard, typically 80% (ish) social housing, rest private. I believe Spurs have mow enabled more homes built in the area than the previous 40 years and indeed have still built more than Haringey and its partners.

You will know all about the stadium build which actually commenced building in 2015 ish and completed in 2019. But in a different political environment, the stadium could have been built almost a decade earlier - and the changes stemming from the new stadium, new housing, new employment and enhanced education might have prevented the Tottenham riots.

There's a lot that fans can say about the football club, but one thing we should all be proud of is the changes Spurs have and are making in the area with huge improvements in housing, employment (thousands employed though Spurs initiatives) as well as education ( London Academy of Excellence Tottenham (LAET) - results are staggering for a disadvantaged area including local pupils going to universities including Oxford and Cambridge) together with Spurs Foundation providing other social initiatives.
Like your first post, that's a fantastic summary, many thanks.

It fits perfectly with the bits and pieces I've heard but it really helps to have it excellently set out like that.

In a way Dier leaving ends an era. I feel he was an important cog of the Poch times, but when he left Dier also began to fall apart. With only Son remaining, who is leading the new revolution, Dier closes that chapter for good.
I think Dier being elevated from backup utility player, to first team regular is probably what started to spell the end for Poch tbh.

Early doors, he was little more than a back up RB, CB, DCM player.
But gradually he ended up playing CM more often than the likes of Dembele and/or Wanyama then CB more often than either of Toby or Jan. Once we relied on Dier, we declined IMO.

You pick out the best starting 11 in the Poch era, and it's, IMO, unquestionably

Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Kane

In fact, it's criminal they never won anything. Makes you wonder if it wasn't really Poch that elevated us, but that team elevated Poch.

In a way Dier leaving ends an era. I feel he was an important cog of the Poch times, but when he left Dier also began to fall apart. With only Son remaining, who is leading the new revolution, Dier closes that chapter for good.

And Davies.

But yeah, end of an era but everything feels more positive right now and it's definitely the start of a new era at Spurs.

Let's hope it's a good one!

Dier was a good servant, respect.

3 seasons is pushing it.
I dont think so. You weren't a regular in that side if you were a mug. Regular for England in that time as well, our best player at the 2016 Euro's, which might not mean that much but he was good for a time.

Had appendicitis in 2018 and took him ages to recover and when he came back a few months later he'd lost his mobility and never really got it back imo. Did ok for 6 months under Conte though but like a few others should have been moved on 2 or 3 years back.

Last edited:
I think Dier being elevated from backup utility player, to first team regular is probably what started to spell the end for Poch tbh.

Early doors, he was little more than a back up RB, CB, DCM player.
But gradually he ended up playing CM more often than the likes of Dembele and/or Wanyama then CB more often than either of Toby or Jan. Once we relied on Dier, we declined IMO.

You pick out the best starting 11 in the Poch era, and it's, IMO, unquestionably

Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Son, Eriksen, Dele, Kane

In fact, it's criminal they never won anything. Makes you wonder if it wasn't really Poch that elevated us, but that team elevated Poch.

I dint think so. You weren't a regular in that side if you were a mug. Regular for England in that time as well, our best player at the 2016 Euro's, which might not mean that much but he was good for a time.

Had appendicitis in 2018 and took him ages to recover and when he came back a few months later he'd lost his mobility and never really got it back imo. Did ok for 6 months under Conte though but like a few others should have been moved on 2 or 3 years back.

Per above, all fit and available, he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.
It was him, Winks, Sissoko, Aurrier, Davies (LB Davies) and a few others becoming more regular starters IMO that signalled the end of that era.

Don't say it too loudly, but Sarr could be on a level with Bissouma and could even be ahead of him.

What do you mean "could be".

Sarr is not even one step but more ahead of Bissouma as we speak.

In fact Sarr is our #1 CM right now. Ahead of Bissouma, ahead of Bentancur, not to mention PEH, Skippy and Lo Celso.

The way he covers the ground in defense, puts attackers in brilliant position in attack, how he dictates the tempo and wins the ball back, he already is the 1st name on XI from midfield. People keep fooling themselves because he is "just 21" or saying that "Bissouma is established EPL player" and whatever. But you can SEE the difference either Sarr is on pitch or not. He changes the tempo of the game.

Forget reputation and age. Just look us playing.

View: https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1745389793830121747

TBH with you as much as this is funny, Tuchel does love the 5-2-3 formation and was successful with it at Chelsea, if that's the case then I can see Dier sit in the centre of a back 3 with Kim Min Jae and Upemacano either side of him, Davies and Mazraoui as wing backs as well.

You don't even need an attacking mid because Kane will just play the False 9 role and create for Sane/Musiala/Koman/Gnabry and the wing backs.

Dier can also play as a 6 in that formation and push up into midfield, let's see what Tuchel does because that's exactly how he set Chelsea up when they won the CL.

Yeah he said this in an article earlier in the week. Interesting he is repeating it again. Personally it’s the route I think we should go down now each window if we can. After the success we had with Dele it’s amazing we didn’t keep doing it properly. Guess it was such a mess transfer wise under Hitchen we just never got round to it.
I've never really understood the sign someone, loan them back option. Can anyone explain its advantages?

I've never really understood the sign someone, loan them back option. Can anyone explain its advantages?

The advantage is their development. Playing consistent mens football is crucial.

Sarr and Udogie both developed much better playing mens football. Sarr definitely wasn't ready when he was 19 when we signed him, but he got a great amount of minutes in a top 5 league. Otherwise he'd have just played u21 games or been on the bench for the first team perhaps, playing zero competitive football.

Per above, all fit and available, he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.
It was him, Winks, Sissoko, Aurrier, Davies (LB Davies) and a few others becoming more regular starters IMO that signalled the end of that era.
Post 2018 i'd agree totally. But he was a regular starter in 2015, 16 and 17 and did really well.

The slide started when good players left like Walker and Dembele or became injury prone like Alli, Wanyama and Dier and just weren't replaced properly because of poor signings and a lack of depth in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom