January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's pretty one dimensional thinking though. It's not about replacing a player, it's about ensuring that we have the requisite quality to rotate or sub without a significant drop off in quality, so it's about enhancing the squad.

I think I've made it clear that I'd rather have Wharton, because I think you get a better player in a very short space of time, but the principal remains the same. If Gallagher is closer in quality to our current starters, he's good enough to push them for a starting berth, which means that whether he starts or is a sub, we maintain the quality on the pitch regardless.
Do you think that Werner joined Spurs thinking he will be a squad player?
Do you think Drag expects to spend the rest of this season on the bench?

UEFA rule means we can have:
Maximum of 17 foreign players
Maximum of 21 foreign + association players
Unlimited club trained or U21 players (latter have to have been with us for 2 years)

Foreign:
Maximum 17 allowed under uefa rules and PL rules 18: Vicario Porro Emerson Dragusin Romero VdV Udogie Hojbjerg Bissouma Lo Celso Bentancur Kulusevski Son Werner Richarlison Solomon Gil Veliz
Note Dragusin will be u21 this season

Association:
5: Davies Johnson Forster Sessegnon Maddison

Club trained or U21:
3: Sarr, Skipp, Austin

So as it stands, if we sign Werner permanently, we would have to pick 2 players out of Sessegnon, Gil, Veliz to not be in a squad. If we bought another foreign player or even an association player this summer, we would have to ship out all 3.

Spursidol Spursidol Am I missing something or is buying Gallagher not actually that helpful for our HG issue?

Couple of comments in bold able - and Dragusin is u21 this season under PL rules.

We'll have a few overseas trained players leaving before next season so will probably have no problems with likes of Veliz. Might be worth looking at sudoku post in the Spurs squad thread today.

Gallagher doesn't really help HG this season - but the real issue is he's hugely expensive/poor value for an HG player who really is not that good and limited upside - certainly not a starter for us when our injured and players at AFCON are back.

Better players at lower prices available (in summer if not now) or alternatively buy players such as Hackney or Wharton who will be at Gallaghers level but higher upside within months of joining Spurs.

Well he plays for Wales, cause really he was born in Nottingham. But yeah he's Welsh.

I just wanna see more Englishmen in the starting 11 and roster. Miss the days we had Ledley, Walker, KWP, D-Rose, Dier, Dele, Harry, Defoe, Crouchy, Jenas, Hudders, Jakey...

Absolute dream would be to have one or two N17-born lads playing regularly for us. That brings something special, I think...but maybe it's the football romantic in me talking.

Who gives a fuck what nationality players are, I just want good players first and foremost.

I know a chelsea fan who says he's a jack of all trades master of none. Just runs.

An average player who looks good in a below average shit Chelsea team. Not creative at all

You see the price and u could get nusa and Hackney or nusa and Wharton I liked all our signings so far all sound but this one I don't get it at all
I doubt we could get Hackney and Nusa for 45m. Brugge turned down 26m for Nusa in the summer and his stock has risen since then. I think Middlesbrough will look at Alex Scott's transfer at 25m and think Hackney is doing better and has longer left on his contract than Scott did, so will probably be asking 30 to 35m.

Personally would be happy with either Gallagher or Hackney to challenge Sarr for the #8 (both have similar stats). Wharton isn't an 8 though, he is a 6 and he would cost a lot since he just signed a new contract.

Well, he/Johnson and Kulusevski would fight over two spots.

There’s so much football to be played though so it would more likely be rotation and playing whilst Sarr/Betancur are rested.
Gallagher will not sign for THFC hoping he will be fighting for a spot with Kulu and Johnson and we would be mugs to spend loads of money on the guy to sit on the bench.
Gallagher ain't happening.

Pure an utter cope about Gallagher in here, the reaction if he signs in here will be incredible 😆

Might get one of those Shady special posts with the cat gifs again :p

I'm not enamored with Gallagher, nor do I have any sort of authoritative opinion on Hackney/Wharton/the Belgian kid as players, but I will say I think we should be beyond giving a shit about the ramifications of our business on Chelsea. Our only consideration w/r/t transfers should be ourselves. If Ange and the brain trust think Gallagher is an important part of the answer, then I'm happy to support that decision until they demonstrate they no longer warrant the benefit of the doubt. Whether buying that player helps Chelsea out of their self-inflicted mess or not shouldn't even be part of the equation if we're really going to act like a big team.

Would he be a better option than Højbjerg & Skipp is the question.

And what are the other options available.
No Idea Idk GIF by Travis

Back
Top Bottom