January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With respect mate and I appreciate your probably a lot younger than myself I would hardly call spurs fans self entitled after 30 plus years without winning anything of note.
I think part of the problem is that the fans have settled for second best with no real pressure to succeed on anyone at the club.
Many of the younger fanbase much like yourself see reaching last week's semi final as achievement but it isn't.
The owners, management and players have been getting away with it for years underachieving and under investment in this club it's about time it changed.
I actually think much of the noise is driven by the younger fan base, I may be wrong in that. I’m in a bit of Spurs limbo in that I was brought up on stories of glory by my dad, but was born in 85 so didn’t really know what football was until the early to mid nineties by which point or decline was well on the way.

I certainly don’t see getting to a semi final as an achievement, I’ve been at every final bar last seasons since 99 and have felt equally disconsolate with every failure. However, my comment about football fans being entitled it’s more steeped in the inability to wait a mere 13 more days before being engulfed in rage.

I get it, we’ve been here many times with these owners and been let down many times, but that’s not really my point. If on 01 Feb our squad is weaker than necessary I’ll be as angry as anyone, believe me. However, given that the hope is any signing will be here for several years and be successful for several years, I can be patient for the comparatively short period of time. I feel that the reason many can’t is because as a society we’ve been cultivated to expect things yesterday. Book a holiday in second. Get a takeaway in a click of a phone. Find out the inners workings of a plethora of functions that 20 years ago, even in the age of the Internet, we had no access too. I blame Zuckerberg 😂 the world has become spoilt.

Ultimately we’re all here for the same reason, we want to see our club succeed. And I have severe doubts whether that’s even possible with these owners. However, I have more than enough real life situations that cause me stress, so other than during the 90 minutes of a match, which is my catharsis/ one big metaphorical punchbag, I’d rather not get wound up until I categorically have evidence with which I can get wound up.

You may say that there’s plenty of evidence amidst the other many failed windows, and I’d agree, but life’s too short for that. I press reset at the start of each windows, and if I’m disappointed on 01 February/ September I’ll spit feathers with the rest of you.

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Woolwich, Man United + Spurs. The entire top 7 teams in the PL and not one signing between them.

I wonder if any of their fans are having metldowns?
Usually the need to improve is more significant for teams that are lower rather than higher in the league.

I actually think much of the noise is driven by the younger fan base, I may be wrong in that. I’m in a bit of Spurs limbo in that I was brought up on stories of glory by my dad, but was born in 85 so didn’t really know what football was until the early to mid nineties by which point or decline was well on the way.

I certainly don’t see getting to a semi final as an achievement, I’ve been at every final bar last seasons since 99 and have felt equally disconsolate with every failure. However, my comment about football fans being entitled it’s more steeped in the inability to wait a mere 13 more days before being engulfed in rage.

I get it, we’ve been here many times with these owners and been let down many times, but that’s not really my point. If on 01 Feb our squad is weaker than necessary I’ll be as angry as anyone, believe me. However, given that the hope is any signing will be here for several years and be successful for several years, I can be patient for the comparatively short period of time. I feel that the reason many can’t is because as a society we’ve been cultivated to expect things yesterday. Book a holiday in second. Get a takeaway in a click of a phone. Find out the inners workings of a plethora of functions that 20 years ago, even in the age of the Internet, we had no access too. I blame Zuckerberg 😂 the world has become spoilt.

Ultimately we’re all here for the same reason, we want to see our club succeed. And I have severe doubts whether that’s even possible with these owners. However, I have more than enough real life situations that cause me stress, so other than during the 90 minutes of a match, which is my catharsis/ one big metaphorical punchbag, I’d rather not get wound up until I categorically have evidence with which I can get wound up.

You may say that there’s plenty of evidence amidst the other many failed windows, and I’d agree, but life’s too short for that. I press reset at the start of each windows, and if I’m disappointed on 01 February/ September I’ll spit feathers with the rest of you.
Well said mate good reply 👍

With respect mate and I appreciate your probably a lot younger than myself I would hardly call spurs fans self entitled after 30 plus years without winning anything of note.
I think part of the problem is that the fans have settled for second best with no real pressure to succeed on anyone at the club.
Many of the younger fanbase much like yourself see reaching last week's semi final as achievement but it isn't.
The owners, management and players have been getting away with it for years underachieving and under investment in this club it's about time it changed.
Underinvesting is the biggest problem. Had Levy backed Poch in the summer before CL run and immediately after the CL final in the transfer window, Poch would have had a clear out then, similar to when he first came in, those little differences could have won the CL and maybe a league cup/FA Cup for us.
Poch would have secured a competitive season in the 2019/covid 20 season and probably would have moved on, but would have left the club in a strong position going into last season. Who knows, it may have even attracted Conte/Ten Hag/Tuchel to come in at that stage.

Not backing Poch in 2 transfer windows has cost us dearly, and not backing him in general has led to where we are now.

Usually the need to improve is more significant for teams that are lower rather than higher in the league.
Yep. I'm old enough to remember plenty of our fans between 2015 and 2017 saying it was nigh on impossible improving our team or squad so we didnt need anyone, to it now being pointed out how Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea haven't done any business either. Completely false equivalence. Only other examples that fit are Woolwich and West Ham as like us both have a real chance of top 4 if they spend well now. Man Utd dont have a permanent manager so cant imagine they'll be doing much.

Traore is not the answer. Getting rid of Ndombele is not the answer, getting rid of Dele is not the answer, yes, they need coaching/hand around the shoulder and a dose of cop on.
Why is there talks of getting rid of Bergwijn?

Dier, Winks, Davies and Doherty all have to go. They are average players (at best!) that no other team in big 6 would have in their starting 11.

Levy is a big problem- wouldn't pay 3mill extra to get Tomiyasu, wont pay the money (if it comes to it) for Vlahovic. Conte wanting a player like Traore is not where we need to be.
Lamptey, Milenkovic, Kessie, Vlahovic, Aouar- these are the players/types of players to be getting in. Get rid of the earlier list and if we need the coppers then by all means use Ndombele/Dele or Bergwijn then, and only then.

Getting rid of Dele and/or Ndombele IS the answer. If we gave Ndombele away right now, for free, we'd free up £36.4m in wages. Dele Alli, with 2.5 years @ £100k would be a £13m saving. Just shy of £50m saving by given them away. If we got fees too....

You ay it was "just £3m more for Tomiyasu - how do you know? I thought he cost less than Royal? What abpout wages? What about what the coach wanted? What about whether the player wanted to come? You don't know anything on that really.

We were only ever in a position to sign Vlahavic if Kane left. That's LONG gone. That guy is gonna cost some one (not us) a LOT of money. £250k a week for 5 year is £65m on top of a fee that'll end up being north of £75m
If you want a club that spends £50m + on a host of players and pays them what they're worth, you should probably support a money club. Not many teams in the world can do it.
All that said, Levy is a c**t

Totally agree. Newcastle are trying to stave off relegation and signed all of 2 old journeymen.
Villa are the only team in the league as far as I'm concerned who have got better.

The devil awakens…

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ff083c8f4-b4bd-11eb-8f2a-87b6de480dfc.jpg

So basically you're not a trauma-hound..... :adesalute:

With Woolwich seemingly the only bidder, I'm sure Fiorentina is thinking they'll have a better shot at it in the summer.

I don't quite understand why the interest in Vlahovic isn't bigger. Is it as stupid as the Luka Jovic disaster scaring people off?

(Would Real loan us Jovic btw?)
Apparently his agents want £15m to do the deal, as well as a 20% sell-on clause.

Yep. I'm old enough to remember plenty of our fans between 2015 and 2017 saying it was nigh on impossible improving our team or squad so we didnt need anyone, to it now being pointed out how Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea haven't done any business either. Completely false equivalence. Only other examples that fit are Woolwich and West Ham as like us both have a real chance of top 4 if they spend well now. Man Utd dont have a permanent manager so cant imagine they'll be doing much.

United are managed by the guy that'll be heading up their recruitment next year..... This is no standard 'interim manager' scenario.

Most Man U fans will tell you they need a complete MF revamp, a RB and at least 1 CB.

All the while they look furthest off Top 4.

.........So of course United currently fall into the bracket with WH, Arse & us!!!

As for the Chavs.... They were seem as title faves by some (inc. peeps on here).... With the deepest squad..... Yet their title challenge was over weeks ago..... Now, the 4 teams below them all have games in hand on them..... Top 4 for them could be threatened over the next 20-odd games..... Should they really be resting on their laurels? They only narrowly scraped top 4 on the last game of the season last year?

Why excuses are so readily made for other teams baffles me.

I don’t particularly like Lyall and I think he tends to be wrong more often than right, but he’s also good for a tap in so there might be something to this.

Wouldn’t be able to play till next season though, but definitely a lot of upside with this kid.

Yes fucking, please!!!!

page 666 the devil knows!

Surely this (and the Mensah link) are little more than Levy applying some last-minute price/terms pressure on Wolves for Traoré? They've gone ahead and signed what's widely regarded as a replacement, presumably on the understanding (or expectation) that the deal for Traoré will be done. Last thing they need now is for Traoré to stay.

Back
Top Bottom