January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work away from the playing side but not on it.

.....We are significantly better as a team now than we were pre-ENIC. Even if we have only won one League Cup with them, our highest finish in the Premier League era pre-Levy was 7th, we have finished higher than 7th 12 times since 2001-02 (Levy's first full season). It's clear we aren't just improving on the business end, we are better on the pitch as well.

But unless we have changed our transfer strategy and have more funds than I assume we could be burning through the funds we do have on players we don't need.

Considering we smashed our transfer record this year, are almost certainly going to make Lo Celso's move permanent (which would nearly equal our transfer record for Ndombele), and have players making 200k/week on our books, I assume that our transfer and squad management has changed significantly now from where we were even five years ago.

Ndombele, Clarke, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Gedson Fernandes, Bergwijn & Piatek in the door initially for perm and loan fees totalling what £130m-£140m if the numbgers are to be believed? (£52m, £10m, £14m, £25m, £4m, £25m, £8m)

Works out as an average of £18m-£20m on all 7 players should we score the last couple before the loans turn permanent. That's great business in times of a rebuild it has to be said.
So in essence we've sold one of out main players from the last 6 years, and most creative, and replaced him with 7 new names. I have no reason to believe this can be anything but a good thing. the question is who in that group will be the new Vlad?

People get mad at Levy for waiting until we have a huge need somewhere to buy. Then turn around and yell when he signs a guy like Bergwijn for good value.
Equally people got mad at others for wanting January signings by Saying it was an awful time to buy & best avoided. Then turn around & say it's good the club making these signing & what good value we are getting.

.....We are significantly better as a team now than we were pre-ENIC. Even if we have only won one League Cup with them, our highest finish in the Premier League era pre-Levy was 7th, we have finished higher than 7th 12 times since 2001-02 (Levy's first full season). It's clear we aren't just improving on the business end, we are better on the pitch as well.
By that logic you never should change owners if they have improved you from the time they bought you. We have gone backwards on the pitch over the last year or 2 & it could take a while before we get that good again. I don't think enic will take us to the next level. I admire your faith in them but honestly can't see them doing what it takes to take us any higher.

But unless we have changed our transfer strategy and have more funds than I assume we could be burning through the funds we do have on players we don't need.

“Players we don’t need”

We are currently in this situation because of the failure of previous windows. We didn’t build for the future. We just kept the same players and hoped Poch could continue getting absolutely everything out of those players. Now we are looking at a team a few glaring holes and people want to do nothing but fill those spots. But we also have to continue looking at other positions and continue building for the future.

Waiting until we have a glaring need and then only filling that need in the window isn’t good business. Is a DM a bigger need than an wide attacker? Yes, it is. But that doesn’t mean we don’t need another young attacking player. Jose said the January window is a window of opportunity. It’s a time to sign good players opportunistically. Stregthen the squad and add depth at good value. Those things will build us better for the future just as much, if not more, as overpaying for a random DM because it’s a need.

By that logic you never should change owners if they have improved you from the time they bought you. We have gone backwards on the pitch over the last year or 2 & it could take a while before we get that good again. I don't think enic will take us to the next level. I admire your faith in them but honestly can't see them doing what it takes to take us any higher.

I have never said we shouldn't change them, but we could have far worse owners, is my point. We have taken a step back as we look to reload and start our next cycle. I think if we make the right additions in the summer we can hit the ground running 20-21, so while this season has been maddening because we are so inconsistent, I think we are going to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom