January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me Sammy as I had to attend to this thing called sleep.
No we aren’t
But we are talking about Summer 2018 Sammy and I know this because I established the chronology of the argument when I said this:
And critics could say that he should have let him go last season (Sammy-summer) when it was reported he wanted to go and it was clear he wasn't going to sign (repeated contract efforts rebuffed).
This past summer TW he was walking into his last year of contract and everyone knows that's a bad idea as there is little club leverage.

despite the local myth, spewed out by lazy pundits and lapped by twitter, our 2018 signing was Moura. We just got him very early, in January actually.
Sammy are you telling us that this business we are doing now is a harbinger of another bare summer coming up, Sammy-summer 2: the reckoning.

Paraphrasing here but essentially Sammy tells us we had a squad that did things.
I agree Sammy but we weren't talking about this either. We were talking about CE's desire to leave and it being the opportune time to facilitate that consider there was a contract crunch at the time beyond the club would begin to lose leverage.

But go ahead and compare it to January 2020,
I didn't.

I try.

But many more are saying he has won. Which is strange if those people keep saying he can't win. You could say he can't lose though for all the reasons you suggest. If he sells, well you have to sell an unhappy player. He keeps him, you need to keep your best players. Sell him with 6 months to go, better than him going for free. Many are claiming a great victory for levy, which is far from the levy can't win idea.
I get your point about whatever he does he gets criticised. But equally I feel whatever he does he gets praised for by some.
I don’t see it that way. I suppose it comes with the territory and the big salary to be there to be shot down. Selling Eriksen in his pomp would have had the hordes out with pitchforks down the High Road (myself included). He was a vital cog in a competitive squad. Selling Rose in the same window as Walker would have had a similar outcome.
I think he’s done as well as he could for the club, by getting a reasonable sum for a player who didn’t want to stay on, whose body language and performances on the pitch seemed to reflect that his heart wasn’t in it any more. Who knows if his appetite would have been any better if we had either won something or invested into the squad in those barren transfer windows?

He hasn't won at all, nobody has, we are losing a top player for a low fee, sure over the contract we've saved 40m in wages but even so overall we certainly haven't won anything ...

It's only if you take this window in isolation that Levy has 'won' just how the feck do you get 20m for a player who will be available for free in six months? feck only knows ... that bit right there is a win, overall as you say it's really not.
That's what I mean. If we get a few it's levy's work. He must have got inter to pay that even though they really didnt want to. If we dont get a fee/sale its bevause no one wanted to buy. You may think levy talked inter in to paying 20m but I reckon it's more of a case if they feel he is worth getting now for 20m then why not. I think you give far too much credit to levy. As though inter think no way will we pay 20m for Eriksen. Levy comes along & works his magic & then inter say "yes Mr levy, 20m is fair". Like I say, you believe what you want & I will do the same.
The fact a key player is being undersold due to only having 6months left is a failure on the club's part, not a success some are saying. Lets just agree to disagree on this.

Talking of Poch.

Very telling, Kieran Trippier's opinion of Poch, in this new interview:

"Is Simeone the best manager in the world now? For me, personally, yes. When people actually play for him they realise how good he is.

"Obviously you've got some good managers: Klopp, Guardiola... Sean Dyche! You've got quality managers out there but he's certainly up there for sure.

"[Burnley boss] Sean Dyche is a brilliant manager. From the first day he walked in [Trippier played for Burnley from 2011-2015, initially on loan] he sorted my career out basically.

"From when I was young, stupid and going out, he just sat me down and said 'no more'. Unbelievable manager and I loved playing for him and, who knows, one day I might get the opportunity to play for him again."

He didn't like Poch at all...
Eye opening seems like Poch lost his sheen at some point.

Forgive me Sammy as I had to attend to this thing called sleep.

But we are talking about Summer 2018 Sammy and I know this because I established the chronology of the argument when I said this:

This past summer TW he was walking into his last year of contract and everyone knows that's a bad idea as there is little club leverage.

Sammy are you telling us that this business we are doing now is a harbinger of another bare summer coming up, Sammy-summer 2: the reckoning.

I agree Sammy but we weren't talking about this either. We were talking about CE's desire to leave and it being the opportune time to facilitate that consider there was a contract crunch at the time beyond the club would begin to lose leverage.

I didn't.

I try.

Yet again, you’ve written a lot but not actually said anything.

People get mad at Levy for waiting until we have a huge need somewhere to buy. Then turn around and yell when he signs a guy like Bergwijn for good value.

That's because we need to prioritise the positions that need strengthening first and people are concerned this will be the last signing of this window which isn't going to be sufficient enough for us to mount a challenge for top four.

I don’t see it that way. I suppose it comes with the territory and the big salary to be there to be shot down. Selling Eriksen in his pomp would have had the hordes out with pitchforks down the High Road (myself included). He was a vital cog in a competitive squad. Selling Rose in the same window as Walker would have had a similar outcome.
I think he’s done as well as he could for the club, by getting a reasonable sum for a player who didn’t want to stay on, whose body language and performances on the pitch seemed to reflect that his heart wasn’t in it any more. Who knows if his appetite would have been any better if we had either won something or invested into the squad in those barren transfer windows?
Thats the bigger point. It could be argued he is leaving a team on the down due to lack of investment. Sad he hasn't put in the effort but equally we require players with a lack of ambition or else they would leave for trophies. We have to hope kane doesn't suddenly want titles or else we lose him too.
Not sure why a good key player would stay at Tottenham unless no one comes in for him & we get lucky really. This ownership won't push on to win the big titles. In fact a league cup would be amazing for us. I think the owners/Levy are the reason for it going stale & us dropping down. Great work away from the playing side but not on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom