January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes a special kind if stupid or stubborn to look at our squad of 2 years ago and decide that the only player in the world that could improve it was Frenkie de Jong.
I agree. And to be honest. Stubborness was probably Pochettino's main character flaw. He did a lot for us but he has/had such a puritan view of how he played football that he seemed to only want players that could ensure that we played that way.

Levy did mention that Poch vetoed a few transfers that summer because they did not fit his model.

Could Levy have secured players that would have allowed us to play the way Poch wanted? Yes.

Could Poch have swallowed his pride and adapted our style of play based off of the players we had available and the players willing to come in? Also yes.

I agree. And to be honest. Stubborness was probably Pochettino's main character flaw. He did a lot for us but he has/had such a puritan view of how he played football that he seemed to only want players that could ensure that we played that way.

Levy did mention that Poch vetoed a few transfers that summer because they did not fit his model.

Could Levy have secured players that would have allowed us to play the way Poch wanted? Yes.

Could Poch have swallowed his pride and adapted our style of play based off of the players we had available and the players willing to come in? Also yes.

I think the disaster we turned into, sadly, was Poch's attempt at that very adaptation. The trouble being that he really didn't know how to do anything else. It's why we never had a plan B for when things didn't go our way, and why when the squad evolved into needing a different approach it all fell apart. Poch is an incredible coach and developer of talent within the narrow scope of his preferred system, that much was proven in my mind. He lacks the guile for the sharp edge of the top tier.

And that sounds more harsh than intended, because when we did have the squad to play the way he desired then more often than not we were as entertaining as any Spurs team ever. Just never could win the hard points when they were required...because we were too one dimensional.

New right back - Aarons, Atal, Pereira
New centre half - Koulibaly, Ake, Umpacano
New CDM - Berge, Doucoure, Soumare
New attacking midfielder - Ziyech, Grealish.

Lloris
Atal - Sanchez - Ake - Davies
Soumare
Ndombele - Lo Celso
Ziyech - Kane - Son
I can dream.

Lloris
Soumare
Ndombele - Lo Celso
Ziyech - Kane - Son
I can dream.
You can dream.
Toby will be in the team for 3 more years, Jan and Dier for a while too.

Lloris
Soumare
Ndombele - Lo Celso
Ziyech - Kane - Son
I can dream.
This team is very competitive on paper, I’d get Pereira over Atal because he’s Premier League proven so he doesn’t need to adapt to the league. Also don’t know about this guy Soumare, is he really that good? Or is it because we’re linked with him?
If we can get a similar player to Kante, that’s exactly what I’d fit that DM with.

At least Poch gave them minutes, Jose looks to the bench, sees young players and just turns away again
But Sessegnon is starting and he is 19.
Skipp has come on and 5 “first team” players are 23.

given how shocking we are most games throwing even younger players into the mix is probably not wise.

but who is there anyway ? Tanganga who’s never kicked a ball at this level or Brandon Austin or Alfie Whiteman ?

KWP is being bombed out by two mangers and Troy Parrott is 17.

I don’t honestly see any depth at youth level the same way there is little depth in the first team level in reality.

for all intentions and PR our academy is hardly looking that prosperous. ENIC have spent the player money on the stadium I feel, there are gaps in every level of the club so wide you could fit Steve Bruce between them.

Waste no time and flog the likes of KWP and Wanyama this month. Not just for incomings, we’re also painfully slow in clearing out the deadwood. Fellas like Onomah, NJie, and Nkoudou should have been flogged much sooner than it took ffs.

£45 million plus Lingard....taking the total offer to £15 million
:eriksenlol:

Seriously though we need a player like him - it’s a shame we’re not snapping up the lower league talents early like we have done previously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom