January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point.

Just can't see us spending £60,000,000 on a centre half.

Little easier to do on a central midfielder.
I think that's where a change in thinking needs to come in

I said last season if we paid the huge money for De Ligt it would be difficult to see how we could lose money on the deal. If he failed to settle, he would still be in demand, if he brought the Ajax performances with him we would benefit hugely. He's had a slow start at Juve trying to learn a new role in a new country, but if Juve were to sell him it would be at a profit.

That's how we need to look at players like Dias. And in a different way, be ready to pay a huge signing on fee if we can get Nubel on a free.

Most likely you haven't a clue ... I'm going with that.

Poch spent 100m in the summer to make us worse ... did you miss that?
You missed no signings when he wanted it & we needed it. Only 1 has been regularly avaliable & even he has had injuries. Anyway spud, I have no interest in arguing with you all day over it as I view you as way too biased. You take it very personal if someone criticises levy/owners. I genuinely believe whoever we hired, you would have said it was the right call. Agree to disagree. We don't need to bore everyone & go round I'm circles. You think levy/ENIC are great, fair enough. I don't, sorry.
Ps. You are also very moody & confrontational in your posts. You seem very angry just because others don't agree with you. Don't take it so personally. Abuse incoming I bet. No need to reply but if you do I won't be reading it or replying. Life's too short to argue all day when neither of us will change our minds.

Google translated from some Dutch footy site

José Mourinho, Tottenham Hotspur's new coach, would love to see Hakim Ziyech come to the club. He has even made it his top priority. Allegedly, it has already been proposed to close a deal for fifty million euros.
Tottenham wants to make it clear that business is serious and therefore does not want to wait to negotiate, even though Ajax and Ziyech have constantly indicated that they are not thinking of a transfer in January. Nevertheless, the Londoners hope to seduce him now. For example, a higher annual salary would have been offered to him and then he would already be earning around five million euros.

There is more interest in Ziyech, but Tottenham is currently the most concrete. Incidentally, it is not known whether he also likes to end up under Mourinho. After all, the Portuguese is not known for attack football, something that is high on the wish list of the picky Ajax player.

Link from Twitter...

excellent player.

You missed no signings when he wanted it & we needed it. Only 1 has been regularly avaliable & even he has had injuries. Anyway spud, I have no interest in arguing with you all day over it as I view you as way too biased. You take it very personal if someone criticises levy/owners. I genuinely believe whoever we hired, you would have said it was the right call. Agree to disagree. We don't need to bore everyone & go round I'm circles. You think levy/ENIC are great, fair enough. I don't, sorry.

You are the one showing ridiculous bias .... how many signings did Klopp make this season? how's that working out? .... Poch with no signings got us to a CL Final and back in the CL, it was only after he was given 100m to spend that the wheels really came off ...

You can think what you want, it's a free world ... but making up fiction to back up your position will always get called out ... Poch was great for five years whilst he had unwavering player support, when that slipped away he failed badly ... would you have waited for a relegation dog-fight before taking action? just what was your plan?

I am still not convinced they will spend spend spend like mourinho usually does.

I think that reputation is a bit overstated. His Porto team wasn't built on crazy spending, his tenure at Real Madrid was downright parsimonious by their standards, he sold Zlatan at Inter, in his second spell at Chelsea he tinkered quite a bit but the net spend wasn't crazy.

Mourinho made his reputation in England with a project that was a paradigm shift in terms of massive transfer market spending, and then something similar was attempted at United with terrible results.

But the common thread throughout Mourinho's career is not massive transfer market spending, it's trophies, that nonetheless bring about strained relationships and abrupt endings. With less of the former and more of the latter each time.

Google translated from some Dutch footy site

José Mourinho, Tottenham Hotspur's new coach, would love to see Hakim Ziyech come to the club. He has even made it his top priority. Allegedly, it has already been proposed to close a deal for fifty million euros.
Tottenham wants to make it clear that business is serious and therefore does not want to wait to negotiate, even though Ajax and Ziyech have constantly indicated that they are not thinking of a transfer in January. Nevertheless, the Londoners hope to seduce him now. For example, a higher annual salary would have been offered to him and then he would already be earning around five million euros.

There is more interest in Ziyech, but Tottenham is currently the most concrete. Incidentally, it is not known whether he also likes to end up under Mourinho. After all, the Portuguese is not known for attack football, something that is high on the wish list of the picky Ajax player.

Link from Twitter...

Would be THE one and only Eriksen replacement that can even be better than Chris himself.

I think that reputation is a bit overstated. His Porto team wasn't built on crazy spending, his tenure at Real Madrid was downright parsimonious by their standards, he sold Zlatan at Inter, in his second spell at Chelsea he tinkered quite a bit but the net spend wasn't crazy.

Mourinho made his reputation in England with a project that was a paradigm shift in terms of massive transfer market spending, and then something similar was attempted at United with terrible results.

But the common thread throughout Mourinho's career is not massive transfer market spending, it's trophies, that nonetheless bring about strained relationships and abrupt endings. With less of the former and more of the latter each time.
Good points. Although I think he will need to spend a lot to win these titles he speaks of. & the only way he would have won it at United was by signing better players unless we say he managed them badly.

Good points. Although I think he will need to spend a lot to win these titles he speaks of. & the only way he would have won it at United was by signing better players unless we say he managed them badly.

There is a lot of blame to go around in that situation. Mourinho deserves to shoulder some of it certainly, but not all of it.

Without being able to project the future of the three out of contract guys, it's tough to really say what our needs are to fulfill any given set of objectives.

Squint a little bit, and sure, maybe we're a real top 4 contender with those guys signing new contracts and some savvy small investments elsewhere, with a good shout in the cups too.

But lose those guys and we are Fort Knox away from anything resembling title or CL contention even with the love child of Jesus and Alex Ferguson at the helm.

There is a lot of blame to go around in that situation. Mourinho deserves to shoulder some of it certainly, but not all of it.

Without being able to project the future of the three out of contract guys, it's tough to really say what our needs are to fulfill any given set of objectives.

Squint a little bit, and sure, maybe we're a real top 4 contender with those guys signing new contracts and some savvy small investments elsewhere, with a good shout in the cups too.

But lose those guys and we are Fort Knox away from anything resembling title or CL contention even with the love child of Jesus and Alex Ferguson at the helm.
Agreed. I didn't look deeply in to the mess at United. But I thought he wanted to sign certain players but the board said no?

We MUST sign a right back and central midfielder. Anything else can wait until the summer.

I guess Zlatan on a free might be worth a punt, it would be good for our squad to have a winner in the dugout and in the squad.

We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes.

So much depends on how our players fit into what Jose is trying to do.
There are so many questions surrounding Dier (we know Jose loves. CB or DM?), Foyth (what position is he going to play), KWP (will Jose give him another chance? Can he improve?).

Right now i would say RB & CDM are our biggest needs, but at the same times we might have the solutions already at the club.

I think LB could be the biggest need by season's end. Sess is best a LW. Davies is a solid backup. Rose is 1/100th of the player he was at his best.

I really like the option we have for the front 4/5, but the defense needs fine tuning.

Yeah very unpredictable. It won't take much for levy & mourinho to fall out especially if levy doesn't give him what he wants in the transfer market. Either levy will have to change & try to buy success OR mourinho will have to change & not require much to bring success. The other issue is levy is very long term type of thinking, whereas mourinho is very short term. So it will be a big gamble for levy to spend a fortune on mourinho's players, knowing it's very likely it is just a short term appointment. Then a new manager will come in & want to spend on his own targets. This will all be very costly.

I'm not necessarily saying Mourinho will repeat his methods that failed at Man Utd, every indication seems to be hes up for a long term project, but i just cant see what he can do in the short term with the current squad and all the issues / ageing want away players. Investment is inevitable for a change of direction and attitude, then we'll see how this is going to pan out.

I wonder if Foyth couldn't become a really great DM. He's tough, a bit reckless still, a touch of evil, he's got size and he's got great feet and eyes. Maybe a bit too stupid?

Couple of things I’ve heard/read recently.

First thing - We will be back in for Fernandes. Eriksen wants to go in January, so it’ll force our hand to replace. Jose loves Fernandes, plus they share an agent.

Second thing - There is a lot of talk that ENIC are looking to sell. There has been interest from China and USA. Mourinho was bought in because he adds value. The stadium move, NFL deal and Nike deal are major factors in interest.

I’m not claiming to be ITK, just stuff I’ve been keeping an eye on over the last couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom