January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
we should be aiming to play a solid-settled 3 combination in the back instead of trying to sign a DM, thats what i am getting at. Vertonghen is out of contract in a few months, where is his replacement - that is way more of a priortiy. if any of Sanchez-Toby-Tanganga catch a niggle, the season is over

I don't think we are going to see us play a back 3 under Jose. We need a CB to replace Vertonghen, but the counter to that imo is we also need to protect our back 4 better in general. So many teams just have free reign to run at our back line, and it's been that way for two seasons now. That's how having a DM can help and also not expose Vertonghen as much.

I don’t know. I can only think of who it shouldn’t be. If pushed probably Ndombele and GLC. Winks is a lightweight and I’ve never been fond of Sissoko. I don’t get the Skipp stuff, but I’m prepared to concede his value to the team in the face of more knowledgeable posters than myself. It really doesn’t matter what I think btw, we have an obvious deficiency in midfield.

Touche... Similarly you're not talking to someone that thinks my warbling on a forum stands to have any sway over such matters either.

It does sound like largely you're on a similar page to me though in that you feel we don't have the ideal blend of CMs within our ranks. 1 x DM + 1 x Box-to-box worked for us when we were at our best.... A midfield 3 would require a similar balance of skills (i.e. 1 x DM + 2 x B2B). I don't understand your reservations tbh.

Last edited:
Forgot about Abraham. Who knew all these teams wouldn't have another striker on the bench.

:moursad:

Big teams with serious aspirations would never do this to themselves..... :rolleyes:

(Caveat: Chavs do still have Batshuayi & Giroud... So fuck knows what their supposed drama is...)

I don't know what you call it, but the 3-player equivalent of the double-pivot (where when one progresses, the other drops back) with Winks playing the deep-lying (safe passes) position. With one of the other two always being around to support him, I think that combo is pretty solid. So basically a fluid 3 with TN or GLC going forward, one at a time. In theory, Dier could play the Winks role, but Winks is more mobile.

We clearly need a DM type, but everyone knows that by now.

But that's the discussion at hand here... Joe disagrees,

Just to add another view to the DM debate, Mourhino played Dier initially but dropped him as it became clear that Dier is not yet over whatever plague afflicted him after the appendicitis operation last year.

Since there has been no credible rumours of us signing a DM either Mourhino is expecting Dier to recover fairly shortly or he's not that bothered by a proper DM and happy to rely upon the likes of Gedson, Winks and even Skipp (who he has not played so far).

Of course Bergwijn appeared out of nowhere very suddenly, and its possible that if we wrap him up and a striker that out of nowhere we get a DM - and find a way to get another overseas trained player place to register him in, unless the plan is for an HG player such as Lewis Cook (Bournemouth) of which there have been no rumours.

4 days to go - and 26 days gone without a credible DM signing rumour.

we should be aiming to play a solid-settled 3 combination in the back instead of trying to sign a DM, thats what i am getting at. Vertonghen is out of contract in a few months, where is his replacement - that is way more of a priortiy. if any of Sanchez-Toby-Tanganga catch a niggle, the season is over

You're wrongly assuming that our go-to formation is with a back 3.

Shouldn’t we be talking to Leicester about Slimani considering they own him?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom