January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In a midfield 3 ahead of a defensive midfielder, I think Billing would have a place in this squad.

As a defensive midfielder? Probably not. Though he puts up surprising defensive numbers.

3.1 successful tackles per game.
Only two more midfielders have made more successful tackles per game than him and they are Gueye and Ndidi who are predominantly defensive midfielders.

2.2 successful interceptions per game.
Only three more midfielders made more interceptions per game than him and they are Hogg, Lemina and Capoue.

No midfielder in the Premier League has made more successful blocks than Billing this season (13 blocks).

Only two midfielders in the Premier League have made more interceptions than Billing this season (Ndidi and Capoue).

Only three midfielder in the Premier League have made more tackles in the Premier League this season (Moutinho, Ndidi, Gueye);

He doesn't get dribbled past often either. Less than 1 dribble past him per game. Quite a few higher than him in that regard in his position. Matic, Doucoure, Xhaka, Capoue, Keita, Seri, Herrera, Kante, Ndidi, Gomes, Neves, Jorginho, Hojbjerg, Rice, Dier and Moutinho all get dribbled past more per game than he does.

Whatever you think of him, he puts up VERY good numbers, especially for a team that is rock bottom of the Premier League with 10 points. You'd expect he would probably put up even better numbers when coached by Pochettino and surrounded by better players.

I'm not a big fan of stats tbh. However the modern game is obsessed with them so I can't really argue with what you found

However just watch how he attempted to defend against Pogbas first or second goal on boxing Day. Pathetic is too kind of a word

I think it's that lack of urgency and commitment in his style that bugs me. I accept the stats but I'm just not a fan

I wouldn’t get a RB just yet if we don’t move one of Trippier/Aurier out, there’s no point to have 4 RBs at the club. Same with the LB. If we are to buy someone I would get a CM that can play the ball under pressure, a more creative Dembele if you like. Yesterday I felt we had no one who would try to pass between the lines, everyone (Eriksen included) was passing sideways and backwards.

Doucoure, Loftus Cheek, Billing, Neves, Barkley, Andre Gomes and Gueye.

Players perfect for what we need, with PL experience. I’d say Billing, Doucoure, Gomes and Gueye are all achievable.

Loftus Cheek is apparently unhappy Sarri broke a promise of game time and now wants out. Would love to see what Poch could do with him and Tammy Abraham.

Doucoure, Loftus Cheek, Billing, Neves, Barkley, Andre Gomes and Gueye.

Players perfect for what we need, with PL experience. I’d say Billing, Doucoure, Gomes and Gueye are all achievable.

Loftus Cheek is apparently unhappy Sarri broke a promise of game time and now wants out. Would love to see what Poch could do with him and Tammy Abraham.
Gomes? He is about as far from a Poch player as you could get. Effort without the ball ... zero.

DvsrmKZVsAAPoJ-.jpg

C92afATXoAAF847.jpg

Let's go.

Last edited:

Barcelona officially deny they've agreed anything with Rabiot.

-QW2yePP_bigger.png
Get French Football News‏ @GFFN
Barcelona deny wrongdoing, but confirm they are chasing PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot http://bit.ly/BarcaNoWrong

“We wish to address stories published in France regarding the signing of players from Paris Saint Germain, and make clear that they have not breached any rule in this regard.

The only contact made was during the month of August and one week ago. In both cases, this contact was made with PSG’s sporting management to show FC Barcelona’s interest in player Adrien Rabiot.

FC Barcelona have always wanted to work with the utmost transparency in their dealings with PSG and with any other club.

FC Barcelona refute the existence of any type of agreement with PSG player Adrien Rabiot.”

So Barcelona say they were talking to PSG a week ago about Rabiot, so may still be wanting Rabiot.

But Barcelona are also lined with Ajax's De Jong and I cannot see them wanting both. Would like to get whichever doesn't go to Barcelona

-QW2yePP_bigger.png
Get French Football News‏ @GFFN
Barcelona deny wrongdoing, but confirm they are chasing PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot http://bit.ly/BarcaNoWrong

“We wish to address stories published in France regarding the signing of players from Paris Saint Germain, and make clear that they have not breached any rule in this regard.

The only contact made was during the month of August and one week ago. In both cases, this contact was made with PSG’s sporting management to show FC Barcelona’s interest in player Adrien Rabiot.

FC Barcelona have always wanted to work with the utmost transparency in their dealings with PSG and with any other club.

FC Barcelona refute the existence of any type of agreement with PSG player Adrien Rabiot.”

So Barcelona say they were talking to PSG a week ago about Rabiot, so may still be wanting Rabiot.

But Barcelona are also lined with Ajax's De Jong and I cannot see them wanting both. Would like to get whichever doesn't go to Barcelona

I imagine if Rabiot goes to Barcelona that frees up de Jong to go to Man City, unfortunately.

DvsrmKZVsAAPoJ-.jpg

C92afATXoAAF847.jpg

Let's go.

If we'd have just had a bit more CM depth we'd have 6+ points more right now.
Ndombele in the starting XI, I think we'd be leading the league.
I'd love if we could get Berge too.
Already have written off Rabiot and DeJong in my mind, not that I'd want any part of Rabiot's drama anyways...

I imagine if Rabiot goes to Barcelona that frees up de Jong to go to Man City, unfortunately.

Very possible. Its always going to be difficult to get top players that top clubs want, but good we are being taken seriously - and we have dealt with both PSG and Ajax before so stand a chance.

But sensible to also pursue the ;up and comers' like Berge if/when we don't get the established players like Rabiot in

Re: Rabiot's attitude.

Not a concern. Some players (like Aurier) just need an alpha male manager like Poch to keep them in line as opposed to passive pansies like Blanc, Tuschel etc.

Kind of like dogs which are obedient and well behaved under authorative leaders but trouble when under the guidance of softies.

I have a lot of respect for Poch but "an alpha male" or "authorative leader" are not the words I would use to describe Poch. I've read his book. I have listened to his interviews. I can see the way he communicates.

He is a fatherly figure, sure. He goes and puts arm around a player. Talks to them. But not a hardcore alpha. You know if you were a dog trainer, you would make every dog in a group to listen to your orders. But Poch rather gets rid of such players asap (and it is totally fine - he needs everyone to be commited to achieve goals).

Think the Banega to Woolwich rumor is what frustrates me the most. He would be perfect for this diamond formation—taking place of Winks.

Won’t be a crazy fee and at 30 he brings cup winning experience, Argentinian, and is an all around midfielder that would fit seamlessly into our team.

Back
Top Bottom