January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really, compared to who?

Let's review his time at Spurs (League only, but we can look at European performances too if you'd like), and his creative output (so, chances created and assists):
2013-14: 1.6 chances created per 90, 0.3 assists per 90 (in a pretty horrid year all-round, it cannot be denied)
2014-15: 2.3 chances created per 90, 0.3 assists per 90
2015-16: 2.8 chances created per 90, 0.3 assists per 90
2016-17: 2.7 chances created per 90, 0.2 assists per 90
2017-18: 2.5 chances created per 90, 0.7 assists per 90

Now, 2017-18 is in only 250 minutes thus far, so that should be taken with a grain of salt. But he stands out as consistently averaging creating 2 and a half chances a game, and an assist every 3 games. How does that compare to other players in the league?

Well, that would be a player in the top 15 in England in every season, as far as creative players goes. Alongside Eriksen, Ozil, de Bruyne, Tadic, Coutinho, etc. Now, of those players who create that much, who else also can press like Pochettino would demand? Eriksen, de Bruyne, David Silva and Coutinho are really the only players who have demonstrated that. So, if he doesn't create very much, then who the hell would you suggest we replace him with? The only guys with a history of creating chances at the same volume, and pressing like he does seem to have sold for a rather higher fee than Spurs record transfer, when they've been sold.

I get that you have a hate-n for him, as does a large % of the Spurs fan base. But the hard facts are that Lamela, when in the line-up, has been a very creative player by any way it can be measured, and he'd be very hard to replace. That doesn't mean you have to like him, but it does mean you shouldn't just write him off with demonstrably false blanket statements.
I don’t think that a large % of our fan base hate Coco at all. I believe most of us think very highly of him and are delighted to have him back. Just a couple of haters on here that like to trap off about it ALL THE TIME.

Looking at the vid of Andre Gomes at Valencia - reminds me technically of Lallana, who I rate highly and Poch does too. Could be inspired.

Different players fit in better or worse at different clubs. Fazio did not click with us. But has become a good centerback at Roma. Vlad at Napoli is another example

Your anti-Lamela agenda is hilarious, you're clearly obsessed by him!

I believe you said it would be highly unlikely that we ever saw him in a Spurs shirt again. Whether or not you or i think Lamela is of benefit to the team, Poch clearly has stood by him.
He’s just come back from a career threatening injury, started a couple of games and already set up two goals. Come close to scoring as may if not more times than Dembele, Sissoko and Winks.
Always in the box in good positions.
Didn’t he come on and lay on Son for us to rescue a draw agains those cunts. He also came on at Leicester and after a minute saved us some blushes setting up Kane.
Eriksen and Dele have bettered him by setting up 4 more goals each in over 8 times the playing time.
But of course, he’s shit.
Also I seeem to remember a fantastic chipped pass that was nearly converted in one sub app, and if not for a cracking save would have scored a wonder goal the other day.

Won't sell in January doesn't mean never.
He's very young, on a long contract that has plenty of room even for Fulham to increase wages. Said it before, there's no impetus for Fulham to sell a player whose value is only increasing daily. Only way he goes anywhere in the next few windows is if he turns cunty and goes on strike.

He's very young, on a long contract that has plenty of room even for Fulham to increase wages. Said it before, there's no impetus for Fulham to sell a player whose value is only increasing daily. Only way he goes anywhere in the next few windows is if he turns cunty and goes on strike.

Hypothetically, how would you feel if we signed a player who kicked up a fuss about moving?

Hypothetically, how would you feel if we signed a player who kicked up a fuss about moving?
I, personally, would be ok with it - it would be on us to keep him happy, maximize our leverage at all times, and ensure we move on from him at an appropriate time before he goes bad on us. I accepted a long time ago that most players are mercs who will look out for themselves. In an ideal world we'd have players who love and respect the club - but most are here for the cheque and going to be stroppy if they have a better one available.

Back
Top Bottom