January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps "freaking out" is too strong word for you? I don't know. If you are not getting the point I am trying to make. Fair enough. I will try to explain my comment for the last time.

Most people on this forum laugh away rumours linking away (quality) players from the club. E.g. Loris to Woolwich. (True and exactly my point). However, a lot more people on this forum seems to believe in the rumours linking players in to the club – because it is in the papers. The Loris rumour was also in the paper. So if you believe everything you read – then surely you must be "freaking out" (insert word of your preference) if the papers write that Loris is on his way out.

Now here comes the interesting part
: as we agreed, most people on this forum laugh away stories linking (quality) players away from the club. But some people "freak out" when we are not buying players linked to the club by the papers. Could it be that most rumours (both inwards and outwards) are just fabrications – and leaves little reason to "freak out" in both circumstances. Rationality suggest so. Or, you could always choose to "freak out" in both circumstances – that would at least be consequent behaviour.

If you don't get it, don't dwell on it. If you disagree, agree to disagree.
I don't want to make a big deal out of this. I just found it a bit curious that you felt people are reacting strongly to rumors on this forum, because I've never got that impression myself. I think this applies to both incomings and outgoings. If you want to see people overreacting then follow the transfer threads on Spurs Community. Some proper melts over there. But like you said..agree to disagree!

If it's going to be a last minute loan deal and we don't bring in anyone to supplement, I don't see any real upside to this. Granted, Lennon hasn't featured much, but there is no real advantage for us in this.

From Sky Sports:

There had been talk of Liverpool signing Danny Ings in January and loaning him back to Burnley for the rest of the season, but the Clarets have quickly refuted that suggestion in a statement.

Chief Executive Lee Hoos said: “This type of move would violate Premier League rule V7 regarding transfers so simply cannot happen. This is the last time we will be making any comment regarding the player’s future.

“Over the course of the window, the player himself, Sean Dyche and the chairman have made it clear he won’t be going anywhere and we consider that the end of the matter.”

For those who don't know - V7 rule states that a player cannot be purchased and loaned back between Premier League clubs in the same transfer window.
Was not aware of that rule. Thanks!

If it's going to be a last minute loan deal and we don't bring in anyone to supplement, I don't see any real upside to this. Granted, Lennon hasn't featured much, but there is no real advantage for us in this.

Absolutley, without the cash coming we are just weakening ourselves unless as you say someone like Depay/Miralles/Kono is coming to replace Lennon. Even if he is a fringe member if we get injuries he might be important.

I really hope this is happening because we have a good player coming and not because Levy is being a bit of a bellend.

I think that Lennon leaving with no incoming is the likely situation. Pochettino's said more than once he prefers using Academy players, and we do have a couple of kids who are looking to break into the team who can play on either the right or left sides.

Still injured, afaic

Too much of a risk, imv - who would he improve upon?
I think there's a decent chance Rodriguez would be would be an improvement on Soldado, Adebayor, Lennon, and Townsend (granted that those two are usually on the right). This is purely an academic answer to your question though as I have no delusions that we are bringing Rodriguez in due to the obvious issues of his injury, failure to clear out existing players, etc.

On the somewhat separate topic of taking "risks" though, I think we have to take risks of this type, generally speaking. We are not going to outspend the clubs ahead of us so we have to take some gambles on players who are devalued on the market because of downside risk but still have tremendous potential for immediate upside (I don't mean kids). I'll be honest, last summer I thought Balotelli would have been a good gamble for the 16M plus cut wages and I have no problem admitting I was dead wrong on that one but that was a good example. They can't all pan out, but if one out of every 2 or so does, then it's worth the amount of the investment. Players who are seen as "sure things" are priced accordingly. There are about 4 clubs that we are not going to outmaneuver for those signatures with any consistency, which tends to be reflected in the table. I appreciate that we are blessed with a good youth academy and can be optimistic about our scouting, but as a club poised just outside of the the top 4 and cups yet safe from the threat of relegation, we have a lot more to gain than to lose by rolling the dice a bit IMO.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

What's the point of loaning the likes of Lennon,Capoue etc.(when we have no decent back ups) if we aren't planning to bring in anyone? Frees up some wages maybe?

I've got a feeling Lennons continued absence is probably due to some off duty antics / behind the scenes shenanigans. It would make sense considering he hasn’t made the bench in months, even though he’s not listed as injured. In fact the manager has picked Oduwa as a sub over Lennon recently.

So if the manager isn’t gonna play him then there is no reason him being in the squad. He’s our longest serving player and I’ll have found memories of him waddling down the wing like a constipated penguin on speed, but we know the chairman likes to accumulate before he speculates so if we can get his wages off the books then why not.

More opportunities for Academy players they want to try, and then space for definitive summer additions.
What's the harm in keeping them around but still giving the academy players a run out? I'd rather we kept some decent backup for injuries. What if the first team players get injured and the Academy players can't step up?

Surely if Poch saw anymore academy players capable of making the jump he would have promoted them by now.
He's given them some time, but there are several training with the senior team right now. Poche's got to balance the mental atmosphere of the squad though. If a bunch of established seniors are getting exiled for kids, you might have a bit of an ugly situation. He may be trying to keep harmony while he slides them in before really letting them stake a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom