January 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way he's ahead of Pogba, Pirlo and Vidal... I even doubt he'd kick Marchisio out of the lineup too.
No kidding, but Pirlo is 35 years old and might decide to retire to his vineyard any day now, and Vidal and Pogba might decide that Serie is no longer the best league to showcase their talents as two of the world's best midfielders.

He's obviously looking for regular football - oh dear

Could be a mess but it won't be our mess, get over £10 million I'll be happy, never looked so forward to a clear out as this window.

I mean the amount of player being talked about going we should have some cash at the end of it if all goes well. If do lose a lot of them hopefully it will be soon so we can acutally but the players Poch wants.

Benny
Holtby
Capoue
Naughton
Paulinho
Ade
Bobby
Lennon
Kaboul

Could be a mess but it won't be our mess, get over £10 million I'll be happy, never looked so forward to a clear out as this window.

I mean the amount of player being talked about going we should have some cash at the end of it if all goes well. If do lose a lot of them hopefully it will be soon so we can acutally but the players Poch wants.

Benny
Holtby
Capoue
Naughton
Paulinho
Ade
Bobby
Lennon
Kaboul
Add Chiriches, Khumalo & maybe Dembele and buy the end of the summer we would have made some money and drastically decrease the wage bill!

Sorry about the delay in reply, work and home life intervened.

Please define "reasonable asking prices" and more to the point "top players". Just because a player has a good agent, a large paycheque and a reputation doesn't mean they are actually good (ie Radamel Falcao), or good for Pochettino's Spurs (like Adebayor, Kaboul, Paulinho, Dembele or Naughton). We need to find ways to make a deep squad, with players who are both generally good, and, in particular, good within the system Pochettino uses. It's no good finding some youtube highlight wonder and shoving him on Mauricio saying "here, make this one work out, he looked good in FM". If we are actually going to move forward as a club, we need to find the right players, rather than just any players. Bony would have cost over $20 million last year, everyone had seen how good he was, but that doesn't mean he would be a good idea. We had just brought in a new manager and he was trying to evaluate the squad. Ramming a brand new striker we'd spent a lot of money on down his throat would have been the definition of idiocy. We have no idea, even now, if Bony would actually work in Poche's system, and it would have made even more pressure for Pochettino to not play Kane, who is both better than Bony generally, and essentially ideal in Pochettino's system. Schneiderlin was apparently a move too far for Soton, largely I think because they also knew how important he was, and how hard to replace he was. We weren't going to spend 30 million to get him, as that was a long way over the market, and the relationship between Levy and Pochettino wasn't that strong yet. But it's not like we didn't try, and Schneiderlin's head hadn't been turned. We were just unlucky that unlike Liverpool and Utd, the Soton player we wanted was both really good, and Soton hadn't found a better replacement.

We also don't have infinite amounts of money, and FFP to consider, so just shouting "Levy, spend some fucking money!" doesn't make it so. We aren't Chelsea or City. We do have more money than all but 12 others clubs on the planet though, so everyone is going to try and fleece us at every turn. Given that we're financially outgunned at home, we can't afford to be generous, even if it seems expedient. It also reflects on the selling side. The more money we get, the more we can spend. If a club low-balls us on a player, we aren't going to just happily take a few quid and amble off down the way.

"Hi Daniel, it's your friends from Besiktas, we'd love to take that Kaboul guy off your hands, as we've noticed he's none too popular with your coach. Would a million euros be cool?"

He may be rubbish in the role we need him to play, but he's not rubbish compared to 70% of the CB's out there, and we can't really afford to sell him off as if he was. There are two and a half weeks left in the window. If Besiktas really want Younnes, they'll come back with a sweeter offer. The same goes for the other guys who need to be gotten rid of. We aren't going to do a half-assed job just to be rid of them, and we are working in the real life world of families, agents and human beings. These things are actually complicated.

OK. How to define "top players" at "reasonable prices". Without going on, I am thinking about players like Bony (given recent signing and area of need) who are not an unknown commodity, they have proven that they can star at their position at a high level, preferably in the EPL. By reasonable priced I am taking into account that we are not going to spent 40+M on high profile international players that are highly desired by the the world's top 5-6 clubs that have an embarrassment of riches.

Now on the the issues with our club. When you take into account players that play on mid level clubs in our league or on clubs internationally that want to make the leap and that fit the bill above, the term "Champions League" almost always comes up. I firmly get that we have many challenges to become a team that can regularly qualify. My issue is that if you are not seen as trying given the actions you take, we are never going to be considered. There have been critical years where we have been on the edge and decided to not take the risk, I think this will be one of those years, and that is something that irks me. The only time we spent was post Bale sale, which was a horrible idea that was repeated by Liverpool this year. It had no direction, plan, and lacked proper discretion and negotiation. These are the things Levy prides himself on and keeps up a reputation on, but I call bullshit on.

I like Poch and I believe taking time is not a bad idea. Last summer I get that it was bad timing a year from a big spending spree and an unproven manager. However I don't think the jury was still out on some of the players that were bought. Soldado was a bust, Paulihno was not worth the price paid, and we needed to replace at least one of our strikers. To talk about Kane last summer as the Kane we know now is revisionist at best. Ade has gone back to his usual self and Soldado has continued to be a bust and despite Kane becoming a star we still need a striker. Bony (again as an example) likely escaped big club needs last summer and would have fit the bill. Forget system he can flat out play and had proven it. We should have made a deal like that last summer.

As for Schniederlin I won't go on for ever, but Poch wanted him, we needed him. We reported offered 12M. That is a joke. Now Schneiderlin goes on to have a monster year and will be sold next summer to a bigger club for a price close to what they valued him at last summer. Poch wanted him and new how good he was and Levy f***ed it up bottom line.

I just hope that with Poch established and with a new scouting we can get in a postion to strike on players we need and that the club will supply funds to further aspirations to be a regular top four club. That has not been the case these last 5 years with Levy calling the shots.

Been said 10000+ times on here and not that interesting anymore but heres my current view on the window.

We need a striker, winger and centre mid to push on in the second half of the season.

The striker will have to be bought in as we do not have anyone we could promote.

Winger - I just read on twitter something windy posted about this 'Sonupe' guy potentially being involved in the first team now. If he is ready to play in the first team it would be nice to have more academy products in the team. That seems unlikely therefore we should target one, if the Gaitan rumours are to be believed he would be a very nice addition to the squad.

CM - Veljkovic has returned from his loan. In an ideal world he would come straight into the first team but like Sonupe, I am not so sure that will happen instantly. Delph and Milner should be available quite cheap due to contracts.​

In terms of out going within the next month I do not see too many but hopefully at least we can move on Adeabyor, Lennon, Kaboul and Paulinho.

Adeabyor is going to play tonight and score then we will not sign a striker, when February comes he will disappear again and we wont have signed a striker. I can see it now.

OK. How to define "top players" at "reasonable prices". Without going on, I am thinking about players like Bony (given recent signing and area of need) who are not an unknown commodity, they have proven that they can star at their position at a high level, preferably in the EPL. By reasonable priced I am taking into account that we are not going to spent 40+M on high profile international players that are highly desired by the the world's top 5-6 clubs that have an embarrassment of riches.

Now on the the issues with our club. When you take into account players that play on mid level clubs in our league or on clubs internationally that want to make the leap and that fit the bill above, the term "Champions League" almost always comes up. I firmly get that we have many challenges to become a team that can regularly qualify. My issue is that if you are not seen as trying given the actions you take, we are never going to be considered. There have been critical years where we have been on the edge and decided to not take the risk, I think this will be one of those years, and that is something that irks me. The only time we spent was post Bale sale, which was a horrible idea that was repeated by Liverpool this year. It had no direction, plan, and lacked proper discretion and negotiation. These are the things Levy prides himself on and keeps up a reputation on, but I call bullshit on.
We don't have 40 million to spend on a player. We never have. We don't really have 30 million for a player, for that matter, especially in January. It's not about showing intent by spending. We need to show intent by winning. We are pretty clearly seen to be trying in that regard, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to sign Lloris, Vertonghen or several others. The argument over critical investment is viable, but it's a combination of player availability, and suitability. We could have signed Suarez from Ajax, but didn't because of Harry. We spend what we have, and really didn't have a choice with the Bale sale. If we didn't spend it then, everyone would know for sure how much we had, and adjust prices accordingly. As it stood, we only overpaid on a few of the players, rather than all of them if we'd waited.

I like Poch and I believe taking time is not a bad idea. Last summer I get that it was bad timing a year from a big spending spree and an unproven manager. However I don't think the jury was still out on some of the players that were bought. Soldado was a bust, Paulihno was not worth the price paid, and we needed to replace at least one of our strikers. To talk about Kane last summer as the Kane we know now is revisionist at best. Ade has gone back to his usual self and Soldado has continued to be a bust and despite Kane becoming a star we still need a striker. Bony (again as an example) likely escaped big club needs last summer and would have fit the bill. Forget system he can flat out play and had proven it. We should have made a deal like that last summer.
I don't feel it is revisionism. It's easy to say in retrospect that we should have replaced a striker. It's also very short-termist. We have to give players time to settle and work things out. 3 managers in 9 months is a pretty massive level of chaos for a squad, so it would be pretty foolish to judge the players on that chunk of time. A lot of fans also claimed we needed a new LW because Chadli was rubbish, that Kane should be sold because he was too slow and clumsy, and that Dawson was still a great CB.

All of those things have proven to be wrong, but fans wanted that done. We did not know how players would respond to the impact of Pochettino. Chadli, it turns out, is a pretty damn handy LW. Danny Rose responded beautifully to the challenges of Pochettino's system and Ben Davies. He's not perfect, but he's miles better than last year. Christian Eriksen went from being a pretty good AM to a 2-way monster who'd quietly the best 10 in the Premier League (yet ignored by the press). Nabil Bentaleb kicked on from being Sherwood's pet to a 20-year old CM who's looking like he could be a Pirlo/Zidane-level player when he matures. And Kane is the best striker Spurs have seen since Sheringham, and I think the best we've had since Greaves.

All of those things were against a lot of fan narrative, and completely contradicted the idea we needed to buy new players. We didn't know that it would happen, but the club gave them a chance. It also was necessary to give Soldado and Adebayor a chance as well. It hasn't worked out, but saying we needed to drop 20 million on Bony in the summer, when our Head Coach was asking the opposite, and when we have no idea if he'd even want to come (looking at Spurs in the summer, if you were Bony and looking for a step up, would you move here, rather than waiting for City or Chelsea to come?) is a bit ill-considered.

As for Schniederlin I won't go on for ever, but Poch wanted him, we needed him. We reported offered 12M. That is a joke. Now Schneiderlin goes on to have a monster year and will be sold next summer to a bigger club for a price close to what they valued him at last summer. Poch wanted him and new how good he was and Levy f***ed it up bottom line.
I'd seen we offered 18, not just the initial 12. And there is no guarantee Schneiderlin will actually leave Soton. They didn't want him to go last year, I doubt they'll want him to go this year either. Soton also knew how good he was, and unlike Lalana, Lambert, Chamberlin and Shaw, actually didn't want to let him go.

I just hope that with Poch established and with a new scouting we can get in a postion to strike on players we need and that the club will supply funds to further aspirations to be a regular top four club. That has not been the case these last 5 years with Levy calling the shots.
It has, but circumstances have intervened. AVB got backed, enthusiastically. We then had the legs kicked out from under the table with the Bale sale, and our subsequent need to rebuild (which didn't work out).

It's not just about spending money on players. It's about supporting Pochettino with the right players for his system, along with giving him the other resources (scouting/analytics/training) needed to support the squad. We need to be smarter in every aspect, not just overspending with money we don't have. And that will mean we have to take our time finding the right solution, rather than the solution fans and the media cheer for the most.

Last edited:
Been said 10000+ times on here and not that interesting anymore but heres my current view on the window.

We need a striker, winger and centre mid to push on in the second half of the season.

The striker will have to be bought in as we do not have anyone we could promote.

Winger - I just read on twitter something windy posted about this 'Sonupe' guy potentially being involved in the first team now. If he is ready to play in the first team it would be nice to have more academy products in the team. That seems unlikely therefore we should target one, if the Gaitan rumours are to be believed he would be a very nice addition to the squad.

CM - Veljkovic has returned from his loan. In an ideal world he would come straight into the first team but like Sonupe, I am not so sure that will happen instantly. Delph and Milner should be available quite cheap due to contracts.​

In terms of out going within the next month I do not see too many but hopefully at least we can move on Adeabyor, Lennon, Kaboul and Paulinho.

Adeabyor is going to play tonight and score then we will not sign a striker, when February comes he will disappear again and we wont have signed a striker. I can see it now.
I cannot see Milner leaving City. They need him for their squad requirements. I also think he's probably paid better at City than he would be here, and seems to be doing rather well for them right now.

Why would they sell him to us when it hurts them and helps us?

No kidding, but Pirlo is 35 years old and might decide to retire to his vineyard any day now, and Vidal and Pogba might decide that Serie is no longer the best league to showcase their talents as two of the world's best midfielders.

Yep, but none of those three will be ending their time with Juventus this January, hence mine and Arcspace's point about him wanting first team football and Juventus likely to not be able to provide that.

I cannot see Milner leaving City. They need him for their squad requirements. I also think he's probably paid better at City than he would be here, and seems to be doing rather well for them right now.

Why would they sell him to us when it hurts them and helps us?

Contract expires this summer and he's seemingly not keen on renewing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom