January 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Negredo and Moutinho you say?

avb_praying.png

Selling Benny or swopping him for another player who plays a different position doesn't make any sense. We'd then have to sign another left back of the same quality and he's miles better than any of our other options in that position at the moment. It's also a real chop and change to do halfway through the season. We know what we have with Benny if we sign another left sided defender from a different country there's bedding in time and homesickness to worry about it's an absolute no brainer. He's just coming back into the side and he's excellent going forward and a great passer and crosser of the ball. He has defensive lapses and periods of up and down form but he's a good footballer and a great entertainer.

I was working tonight so I didn't see the game or Holtby's contribution but from what everyone was saying he looks quality. This is good news. Midfield was a worry. We've lost our best performer and our chief engineer Sandro in midfield this season to injury and previous to signing Holtby were left with Huddlestone who's static and looks underconfident, Parker who I love and is a great player but he's much better without the ball than with it and with our new more patient build up play honestly looks like the wrong player for this team - he was excellent when we were gung-ho under Harry at getting the ball back and feeding Modric, Bale or Lennon but in a possesion based system has yet to convince fully, Dembele who's great on the ball but not a goalscorer and also when QPR put that big DM on his case he got huckled out of possesion and rushed into passes and lost the ball loads. There's also no point in a midfielder like him carrying the ball to the edge of the area to only pass it to any one of our currently misfiring strikers. We look lacking in ideas in central midfield at the moment and I know it's early days for Holtby but if we're not going to play him and Dembele together we need back up for Parker that's preferably more creative in my opinion.

A striker would be an absolute godsend right now. It will send a message to the squad and to other teams that we seriously mean business. Defoe has gone off his hot streak. Adebayor has been disappointing this season and Dempsey is still finding his feet although he is looking much better.

A forward and a midfield enforcer would be great. I'll leave it to you all to debate. I know I also missed mentioning Gylfi but 'm not really sure what his role is in the team now apart from to be Holtby's understudy? Anyone got opinions would love to hear them.

Lots of love,
Mitts COYS

Selling Benny or swopping him for another player who plays a different position doesn't make any sense. We'd then have to sign another left back of the same quality and he's miles better than any of our other options in that position at the moment. It's also a real chop and change to do halfway through the season. We know what we have with Benny if we sign another left sided defender from a different country there's bedding in time and homesickness to worry about it's an absolute no brainer. He's just coming back into the side and he's excellent going forward and a great passer and crosser of the ball. He has defensive lapses and periods of up and down form but he's a good footballer and a great entertainer.

I was working tonight so I didn't see the game or Holtby's contribution but from what everyone was saying he looks quality. This is good news. Midfield was a worry. We've lost our best performer and our chief engineer Sandro in midfield this season to injury and previous to signing Holtby were left with Huddlestone who's static and looks underconfident, Parker who I love and is a great player but he's much better without the ball than with it and with our new more patient build up play honestly looks like the wrong player for this team - he was excellent when we were gung-ho under Harry at getting the ball back and feeding Modric, Bale or Lennon but in a possesion based system has yet to convince fully, Dembele who's great on the ball but not a goalscorer and also when QPR put that big DM on his case he got huckled out of possesion and rushed into passes and lost the ball loads. There's also no point in a midfielder like him carrying the ball to the edge of the area to only pass it to any one of our currently misfiring strikers. We look lacking in ideas in central midfield at the moment and I know it's early days for Holtby but if we're not going to play him and Dembele together we need back up for Parker that's preferably more creative in my opinion.

A striker would be an absolute godsend right now. It will send a message to the squad and to other teams that we seriously mean business. Defoe has gone off his hot streak. Adebayor has been disappointing this season and Dempsey is still finding his feet although he is looking much better.

A forward and a midfield enforcer would be great. I'll leave it to you all to debate. I know I also missed mentioning Gylfi but 'm not really sure what his role is in the team now apart from to be Holtby's understudy? Anyone got opinions would love to hear them.

Lots of love,
Mitts COYS

edit: i never mentioned Livermore either but he hasn't even got a look in this season.

Gylfi looked pretty decent in his cameo appearance. I think he's been a lot more effective when played out wide as an inside forward, compared to playing him in his "natural" role of AM. He was absolutely robbed of that goal. I think out wide he's afforded a lot more time on the ball to make decisions. His first touch has generally been pretty poor so far in my opinion, so when playing him in the hole he draws too much attention and is quickly closed down and hassled into making mistakes or giving up possession.

It just seems like Dempsey and Gylfi are remarkably similar players, who might contribute a great deal when the team is set up to service them, but by themselves aren't suitable to providing creativity to a large degree. Gylfi is young enough that maybe he can adapt, but I'm not too keen on Dempsey.

Holtby looked a world apart in that last 20 minutes, really. Can't be understated. The kid was everywhere. Everything he did looked super technical, accurate, and well executed. Looked incredibly motivated, was tracking back to dispossess, was delivering outstanding through balls. His first touch and decision making looked flawless. Pulled out wide to support the wingers. His crosses looked accurate and well struck.

Seriously, I creamed myself. It was just 20 minutes. Who knows if that's seriously the level of play that we can expect from him from now on, but it was really, really impressive. It was exactly what we've been missing. The entire team came together immediately when he came on.

#dreamboat #wouldpushback

Just found this in ESPN's transfer market blog...

"Tottenham's desperate attempts to secure Internacional forward Leandro Damiao have seemingly paid off, withClicRBS reporting Spurs have been given permission to launch a whopping £19.7 million offer for the Brazil international. It's a fair rise from Tottenham's offer of £15m earlier this month and shows how keen Andre Villas-Boas is to bolster his attacking ranks. Damiao has reportedly received the green light from his club to move to the Premier League. Expect the deal to be done today. "

Here's the link being tipped from, I'm guessing...
http://zerohora.clicrbs.com.br/rs/e...-r-63-milhoes-por-leandro-damiao-4028497.html

"Tottenham's desperate attempts to secure Internacional forward Leandro Damiao have seemingly paid off, withClicRBS reporting Spurs have been given permission to launch a whopping £19.7 million offer for the Brazil international. It's a fair rise from Tottenham's offer of £15m earlier this month and shows how keen Andre Villas-Boas is to bolster his attacking ranks. Damiao has reportedly received the green light from his club to move to the Premier League. Expect the deal to be done today. "

http://zerohora.clicrbs.com.br/rs/e...-r-63-milhoes-por-leandro-damiao-4028497.html
I read this. I got up. I danced and yelled. If this isn't true and we don't get Damiao, i swear, R/B will be crucified.

Hopefully he'll feel really motivated and start scoring for fun again. We don't really need another out of form striker.

edit: you know, assuming that we do in fact sign him

Sky Sports said:
We're now into deadline day and I'll leave with you news that Internacionalpresident Giovanni Luigi has denied reports that Tottenham Hotspur have made a £20million offer for long-term target Leandro Damiao.

Sky Sports said:
Martin Jol feels it will be difficult to sign Tom Huddlestone on deadline day but Andre Villas-Boas says the Tottenham midfielder has permission to speak to Fulham. Jol also confirms a deal for AC Milan left-sider Urby Emanuelson is close.

Not sure where this money for Damiao came from, but assuming we bring him in, and Sell Huddlestone, is Diame still available for us? Will the Huddlestone money go directly to buying Damiao, or can we spend that money on Diame or another player?

These kind of pie in the sky articles are cruel and unusual punishment.

Back
Top Bottom