Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love Vertonghen - I really do - but I think some of the praise has been a little OTT, probably because he's so comfortable on the ball.

He has done remarkably well considering it has been his first season, but he did have an error-prone few weeks recently and has not been as faultless as many will have you believe.

Still, a great long-term signing and will be even better alongside Kaboul IMO.

Agree WindyCOYS WindyCOYS the back line will be very different with Kaboul in there - and whoever plays at LB. AVB doesn't fancy Benny, probably his general attitude?

Dawson is a solid stopper and suited to different forwards, but Kaboul is more similar to Jan in his style of defending. He likes to run with the ball at his feet, bringing it out from the back. On paper, it's a very promising back line. I can't remember thinking that about Spurs since King lined up alongside Woody!

I also would like the captain to start almost every game, at the moment that looks very certain for Hugo and Jan for next season, while Holtby has a job to do to get there.
Don't think Hugo will be easily displaced next season, but Jan will be competing against Dawson, Kaboul and Caulker > he's not going to be playing every game nor would I want him too when we have young Caulker needing minutes.

I love Vertonghen - I really do - but I think some of the praise has been a little OTT, probably because he's so comfortable on the ball.

He has done remarkably well considering it has been his first season, but he did have an error-prone few weeks recently and has not been as faultless as many will have you believe.

Still, a great long-term signing and will be even better alongside Kaboul IMO.

No player is faultless. Vertonghen is certainly world class for me.

His reading of the play is very good and it allows him the time to slow it down and make the plays he does.

His reading of the play is very good and it allows him the time to slow it down and make the plays he does.
His reading of the game gets others out of trouble as well... Prime example was his last ditch recovery tackle against Junior Hoillet, it was a nailed on goal.

Right. Ill re-write it.

Just off a Liverpool Forum. They had a thread in which they would state their Team of the Year. There was 110 responses. Jan Vertonghen was picked in 109/110 teams.

yeah but Gerrard is in almost every one of them - and if any missed him out they were slated as it is sobvious Steven "Head down leading the team to 7th" Gerrard is the best midfielder in the league this season - Gerrard above Mata mug!

Back
Top Bottom