James Maddison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you be OK with it if Yates did that to Maddison and didn't get sent off?
Yes and I'd be dirty with Madders for hamming it up when his team needed him in defence.

I've watched the replay and there's no clear punch captured anywhere. Yates reacts as if it was a Mike Tyson haymaker but maybe he has an agenda there. I think the VAR sees it that way too. Good refs consider player motivation as well as actions.

Yes and I'd be dirty with Madders for hamming it up when his team needed him in defence.

I've watched the replay and there's no clear punch captured anywhere. Yates reacts as if it was a Mike Tyson haymaker but maybe he has an agenda there. I think the VAR sees it that way too. Good refs consider player motivation as well as actions.
He did it and he was ridiculously lucky to get away with it.
I think the ref knew if he sent Maddison off, he probably would have had to give Yates the yellow for asking for VAR and he too goes off. The ref bottled it.

I'd like to know why the Forest player didn't get a red for his copy of Bissouma's red card tackle away to them tbh. That's the strangest one for me.

I'd like to know why the Forest player didn't get a red for his copy of Bissouma's red card tackle away to them tbh.
Yeah I don't see either of those as red tbh. Here's why:
If two players are chasing a ball in the box; the attacker gets to the ball first as the defender lunges in and the attacker's foot makes contact with the defender's shin or knee then it's a pen - the attacker won the ball and therefore the defender was late.
If a defender clears the ball and his foot catches the attacker the same should apply - the attacker was late and if anything he has fouled the defender.

Biss's shouldn't have been red any more than Romero's vs Chelsea.

Spot on, it was a push to get him off as he was fouling him……again

Yeah I don't see either of those as red tbh. Here's why:
If two players are chasing a ball in the box; the attacker gets to the ball first as the defender lunges in and the attacker's foot makes contact with the defender's shin or knee then it's a pen - the attacker won the ball and therefore the defender was late.
If a defender clears the ball and his foot catches the attacker the same should apply - the attacker was late and if anything he has fouled the defender.

Biss's shouldn't have been red any more than Romero's vs Chelsea.
I'd give all 3 as reds.
Anything that could easily end a players season should be treated as a red and all 3 were avoidable and probably deliberate.

Drop this 'lovable' dart throwing Jack the lad that can do no wrong in our inept mangers eyes. Our vice captain??? this petulant fool should have been sent off in the last 2 games and has decided not to even bother attempting to help us defend.

I said before to play him on the left but I'm so annoyed today. I'd still probaly start him on the left against Gooner due to our other left sided option being pretty bad but my god he has a lot to answer.

He’s a bit of a poseur. Which when you are performing you can get away with. But when you’re not it just makes you look like a bit of a tool.

He’s somebody who needs some pressure on his place.

We desperately need our defenders and goalkeeper to pass the ball forwards more quickly so that we don't give an opportunity for the opposition to retreat and regroup. THAT is our biggest problem now. What can the top 3 do when the opposition has already defended in numbers?

Romero and Vic are the 2 biggest culprits with their STUPID slowness in releasing the ball forward

Like all of his type, he must have players alongside him that can do the dirty work, and players in front of him, who react quickly when he has the ball.

Not an issue but maybe not quite as good as we had hoped or had cause to believe.

Seems standard for us sadly.

Last edited:
He’s a bit of a poseur. Which when you are performing you can get away with. But when you’re not it just makes you look like a bit of a tool.

He’s somebody who needs some pressure on his place.
To be honest, he looked like a world beater before the injury. He has been below average ever since which is why we are lacking in the creativity department at the moment.

We need a Eriksen for this style of football to click.

Saw his after match interview.

Said that anyone who has played at Newcastle knew what sort of game they'd be up against today, then continued to say what they were up against today was a surprise, although it's what they were expecting?!

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

I'd drop him for the Woolwich game, I said on the match thread earlier in the week that I would have dropped him for this game. Been poor for ages.

He’s dialling it in and not giving 100%. Start of the season he was helping lead the press and now doesn’t do it at all. Maybe he’s still feeling his injury but without him doing that it’s really hurting our defending from the front.

He was like this at Leicester tbf. He's a good footballer but tends to have purple patches in a season and we're still waiting for the second purple patch. Injuries tend to disrupt him a bit and then once he's in his rhythm again everything starts working for him.

I'd say he's a huge part of them:

View: https://x.com/GaffneyVLC/status/1779145789593227498

He is trying but it's not working and the team had learned how to play without him. It's almost like we need a pre season to learn how to play with him again and his chemistry with Son has GONE. Gone gone.

We are an attacking team where the attacking players aren't doing their jobs.

It’s even worse in midfield,on paper the likes of Bentancur,bissouma sarr,Maddison sounds like great combinations.But that understanding between bissouma and Maddison seems to have evaporated real shame as they looked good at the start of the season.

Back
Top Bottom