James Maddison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Listen, I love Madders but he was fucking awful against Wolves. I'm not the only person that thinks it, but spouting certain viewpoints on this forum gets you untold amounts of abuse.

He is way off fitness, sharpness and confidence and right now he is slowing everything down.

Balls.... You don't get to play that card. That's NOT what's happening.... At all.

You spoke of his lack of effort... In a particularly disparaging (distasteful) manner.

.....And no; nobody abused you.

Last edited:
Has he been a hindrance?? He’s not been abysmal. He’s not at the level he was before but he’s a top player and will be back to his best soon.
yes he's been a hindrance imo.
He's not creating anything in an attacking sense and we lose stability in the middle and become very open as he offers nothing in a defensive sense as well. We actually looked far more potent in attack when he was out of the team and Bentancur was given more creative responsibility but Bentancurs form took a nose dive when Maddison came back into the team.

Of course he's a talented player and when he's on form he's one of my favourite players but it looks like he's overly cautious with the ankle.

As I said in the Crystal Palace match thread, I would move him to the left of the 3 until he picks up form and is confident enough to move back into the middle. Redknapp did that with Modric initially, Guardiola moved Foden out wide until he fully trusts him (its also why Grealish doesn't play in the middle), Mourinho did it at Chavski when he moved Mata to a wide position and trusted Oscar centrally despite everyone crying about it.

He's not creating anything in an attacking sense and we lose stability in the middle and become very open as he offers nothing in a defensive sense as well. We actually looked far more potent in attack when he was out of the team and Bentancur was given more creative responsibility but Bentancurs form took a nose dive when Maddison came back into the team.

Of course he's a talented player and when he's on form he's one of my favourite players but it looks like he's overly cautious with the ankle.

As I said in the Crystal Palace match thread, I would move him to the left of the 3 until he picks up form and is confident enough to move back into the middle. Redknapp did that with Modric initially, Guardiola moved Foden out wide until he fully trusts him (its also why Grealish doesn't play in the middle), Mourinho did it at Chavski when he moved Mata to a wide position and trusted Oscar centrally despite everyone crying about it.

Perfectly understandable he's taking time to get back to form after that injury tbh. Only thing that's going to help that right now is game time.

He'll play himself back into fom.

I’ll disagree with you on this. He’s working as hard as he was before but maybe not having that end product from earlier in the season but it doesn’t mean he’s a hindrance. All about opinions.

That comment is embarrassing
Yep I got it, you disagree.

Wipe Maddison's jizz off your lips.

You ARE allowed to criticise. And if you disagree, that's fine - but I'm allowed my opinion.

Maddison is quite possibly our most important player overall, and the most unique in the squad. He's a special player.

But it's not working right now, he's either not fit or too scared to actually try. I understand, but that's impacting our performances.

I don't know what the answer is because getting him up to sharpness and fitness is going to determine where we finish but he's certainly up there right now as a passenger.

Only thing that's going to help that right now is game time.
Not specifically/solely Maddison related, but a number of players...

I know there is always the "we play too many games" narrative. and at times in the season it's true. However right now I think this mini winter break is going to do us more harm than good. Lack of games leads to rustiness. Yes, hopefully everyone will have time to rest and recuperate, but also we won't have had any time to reinforce our playing style, or get match sharpness. Training games can only offer so much. We need meaningful match minutes in lots of players.

Yep I got it, you disagree.

Wipe Maddison's jizz off your lips.

You ARE allowed to criticise. And if you disagree, that's fine - but I'm allowed my opinion.

Maddison is quite possibly our most important player overall, and the most unique in the squad. He's a special player.

But it's not working right now, he's either not fit or too scared to actually try. I understand, but that's impacting our performances.

I don't know what the answer is because getting him up to sharpness and fitness is going to determine where we finish but he's certainly up there right now as a passenger.
Steady with the shit jizz patter. Can’t be fucked with that.

Madders came back against city and was miles away from being ready. He played against Brentford,Everton,Beighton and Wolves and in my opinion there’s been flashes of what he can do but I do agree he’s not been at the level of what we’ve seen earlier but when he was at it the rest of his team mates were too.

What I can’t believe is saying he’s a hindrance because that’s bollocks. Guys like Royal can be a hindrance like when he was on the ball on Saturday. Sess has been a hindrance every time he goes on the pitch. Lloris last season was a hindrance. Madders is not anywhere near being in with those players.

I think we’ll all agree that he’ll get back to his best as soon when the team raises their game and I believe that will happen against Palace.

Last edited:
Been ok to decent recently but miles off what he was the first 10 games when he was arguably the the best in the prem. Saying he's been a hindrance though is a stretch.
I never actually said he was a hindrance. I've lamented his impact and usefulness in his current state. Hindrance is someone else's word or post.

He's not been at his best since he's come back and that's understandable but I expect moments like today from him, if not over the course of the match then sporadically. The assist to Romero was quality and it's exactly like something De Bruyne or Odegaard would do in a key moment, more of this please James.

Honestly starting to believe him and Bentancur can't play together in the same midfield. (or at least need a pre season and a hefty load of games to get used to eachother).

They seem to want to occupy the same position when picking up the ball.

It'd be nice to finally see our strongest starting midfield and defence against Aston Villa please.

Lovely assist today.

Nowhere near his best. Though I think we can expect Maddison's Spurs career to not maintain the very highest level with consistency.

16 games, 7 assists, 3 goals - we can't complain really.

Back
Top Bottom