James Maddison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love him, but he is what he is. He often had periods at Leicester where he was top drawer for an amount of games, and then almost anonymous for a bunch. He was just unlucky that he got injured when he was flying and the team was also playing much better. He'll come again, but we also have to accept that he's not going to be a match winner every week.

On ignore. Are today’s homoerotic fantasies about Rice or Odegaard?
I wonder if Woolwich Mania puts up with the same piss-take?

‘He’s on ignore, but it won’t stop me posting literally every time his name comes up on my Deuterz Radar, or spamming him with thirty disagrees in a row (yes I counted) when I have a little man baby tantrum’.

Poor today and the villa goal apart has been on a poor run since his return from injury. Definitely not helped by having to drop so deep, as no one else seems capable of driving us forward. Our midfield three were poor today, mind you so were our front three.

Poor today and the villa goal apart has been on a poor run since his return from injury. Definitely not helped by having to drop so deep, as no one else seems capable of driving us forward. Our midfield three were poor today, mind you so were our front three.
Yeh, but there is no reason for him to drop so deep with Bissouma and Sarr behind him.

I think he goes looking for the ball because we’re not getting it to him in advanced positions consistently enough. He should really be as close to the front 3 as possible, which is where he does his best work.

so we're going to continue to start him the centre in the hope he creates something whilst getting steamrolled through the middle? we're not even going to attempt to start Bentancur and offer more protection to the other 2 cms?

Like I've said before other managers move their creative player to the wide position to allow them the opportunity to build their performances up and gain confidence.
Pep initially with Foden and still with Grealish, Redknapo did it initially with Modric, Mourinho with Mata at Chavski.

Ange instead decides to play Johnson on the left, continue with Kulu who is badly off form and continue with Maddison who is invisible for most games since he's been back.

Maddison isn't some EPL newbie though........ He's spent years play as a CAM in this league; successfully so...... We bought him on the strength of that.

Put him in Man city and he would be world class, he try's to do o everything himself like he he did while he was at Leicester.......it's not his fault he's surrounded by dross

That wasn't the story today at all......

IF you want to make excuses for him then that injury very much derailed him this season; but he was no better than the other 2 today.

Yeh, but there is no reason for him to drop so deep with Bissouma and Sarr behind him.

I think he goes looking for the ball because we’re not getting it to him in advanced positions consistently enough. He should really be as close to the front 3 as possible, which is where he does his best work.

Ange - and the fans - need to make their mind up as to whether we're playing 4231 or 433................ Is Madz a CAM (#10) or a left sided box-to-box?

Surely with the FBs cutting in as a matter of routine it's all the more important that the MF has a distinct shape and organisation? ...Otherwise players go missing and the oppo are afforded the chance to run riot.

......And if it's a 433 then we need a proper #6 to anchor everything.

Last edited:
Maddison isn't some EPL newbie though........ He's spent years play as a CAM in this league; successfully so...... We bought him on the strength of that.
yes but we are getting destroyed through the middle. It's a short term solution in the hope he regains form and confidence because right now our midfield is getting bypassed with absolute ease.

Apparently Maddison and Sarr were carrying injuries....so why were they picked and what does that say about Locelso and the other squad members... 🤔

Ange...some serious questions

It doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know. If Ange rated PEH and Lo Celso, they would play. He knows their level as do we all.

Where is that coming from? Ange didn’t say it.

If we win do we hear about carrying injuries?

Ange spoke about Sarr struggling with a back injury last week. And Maddison’s training load has been carefully managed since the start of the season. He is a fragile player.

I seem to remember him coming out to the left a lot more during that brilliant run at the beginning of the year. He seems to stay in the middle now and gets marked out of games fairly easily.

In fact, I think adding our FBs into the middle with everyone else is making it easy for the opposition to just clog it up and wait for us to misplace a pass and counter. There is absolutely no room in the middle and as soon as it gets picked off they just kick it into space on either wing. Sometimes our CB covers, sometimes it finds their player in acres of space.

Maddison has dropped deep all season.

Why is this coming as a surprise to people now?
Yeah the difference is when he would drop deep before it would usually free up space and he will be the free man to start the quick passing moves through the lines.

Feel like we are forcing it too much and keep getting turnt over due to sloppy passing. Game then becomes pinball and too crazy to control.

Back
Top Bottom