Jack Clarke

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I find that quite surprising. Outside of favourable FA cup draws and a Europa League games, it's hard to see how he can really make his mark on the squad this season.

I find that quite surprising. Outside of favourable FA cup draws and a Europa League games, it's hard to see how he can really make his mark on the squad this season.
If we go deep in the Europa, or even just through the group stage, we're going to have a lot of games in quick succession. There'll need to be a lot of rotation, and he could at least make the bench and be around the squad. That alone could do wonders for his mentality and prepare him for the future. Then, if he's not making it on the pitch, or isn't quite up to it, we loan him out in January.

If we go deep in the Europa, or even just through the group stage, we're going to have a lot of games in quick succession. There'll need to be a lot of rotation, and he could at least make the bench and be around the squad. That alone could do wonders for his mentality and prepare him for the future. Then, if he's not making it on the pitch, or isn't quite up to it, we loan him out in January.
This is true, but what is he, our 4th choice RW?

Bale and then Lucas/Lamela are ahead of him in some order.

Edit: And Stevie B. as well but I see him more on the LW rotating with Sonny.

Some of those names are going to end up injured. If Lamela is not hurt he is probably going to be asked to fill in at 10 as well. Which opens a space for Jack.

Just having him training with the first team and playing with the U23s for fitness will do him good after the year he had.

Some of those names are going to end up injured. If Lamela is not hurt he is probably going to be asked to fill in at 10 as well. Which opens a space for Jack.

Just having him training with the first team and playing with the U23s for fitness will do him good after the year he had.
I certainly don't disagree that it will be great experience for the boy, even if all he ends up doing is training and featuring in 3-5 matches.

I just don't think he'll get that much more than that. It's not a bad thing, we are just SO deep there.

Including all the AM's who play wide we now have Son, Bale, Bergwijn, Moura and Lamela.....so he's in effect in 6th position for the 2 available slots ......and then there is Lo Celso and Dele who you might say also compete for an AM place.

But after 2 abortive loans last year, might be good to have him in house if there are no clubs we feel wil play him enough......and even try again in January when sometimes clubs need players due to injuries etc but market is pretty thin for good players.

Yeh.... Must have been a tough year (and a half) for a kid like him..... Getting some senior minutes on and off the pitch with high quality players will probably do him the world of good and hold him in better stead when he does (presumably) go out on loan be that January (when some of the easier fixtures are out the way) or next summer.

Great news. Last season was a complete clusterfuck for Jack Clarke, and it looked like the best he could hope for was a successful loan after his disastrous ones to Leeds & QPR. Feeling wanted by the coaches & club, and training alongside world class players must be a huge boost to the confidence of a young guy living in a new city.

Mourinho would not be including him in the Europa League squad ahead of Gedson & Gazza if he didn't believe Clarke has genuine potential and something to offer.

I note that Ally Gold states that Clarke's "high fitness" levels, as well as his ability, have impressed Mourinho. And given Loco Bielsa's demands for insane work rate from his players, this suggests Clarke may be well suited to a relentless pressing game and helping to close out matches.

Great news. Last season was a complete clusterfuck for Jack Clarke, and it looked like the best he could hope for was a successful loan after his disastrous ones to Leeds & QPR. Feeling wanted by the coaches & club, and training alongside world class players must be a huge boost to the confidence of a young guy living in a new city.

Mourinho would not be including him in the Europa League squad ahead of Gedson & Gazza if he didn't believe Clarke has genuine potential and something to offer.

I note that Ally Gold states that Clarke's "high fitness" levels, as well as his ability, have impressed Mourinho. And given Loco Bielsa's demands for insane work rate from his players, this suggests Clarke may be well suited to a relentless pressing game and helping to close out matches.
I would still prefer him to go on loan to get game time though.

I would still prefer him to go on loan to get game time though.
I hear you but it's a much shorter period than usual to the Xmas window.

My own sense is feeling wanted for a couple of months and maybe getting some game time off the bench will help build Clarke's confidence which must have been shattered by the fiasco of last season. Remember it started with Poch immediately despatching him back to Leeds seemingly as part of some power struggle with Levy despite all the ITK telling us he would be part of the first team squad.

Plus JC will get used to Mourinho's demands of wide players, rather than learning a new system from yet another new coach.

Then we can review in January.

I hear you but it's a much shorter period than usual to the Xmas window.

My own sense is feeling wanted for a couple of months and maybe getting some game time off the bench will help build Clarke's confidence which must have been shattered by the fiasco of last season. Remember it started with Poch immediately despatching him back to Leeds seemingly as part of some power struggle with Levy despite all the ITK telling us he would be part of the first team squad.

Plus JC will get used to Mourinho's demands of wide players, rather than learning a new system from yet another new coach.

Then we can review in January.
Excellent points, tbf. I didn't look at it that way.
Makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom