I've melted.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No. Winner only from this season. Europa League place returned to the PL for 6th placed team. The team taking the spot for the Carling Cup winners is the lowest ranked and has to start in the 3rd qualifier. So finishing 7th in a WC year would be a nightmare.

This is utterly dependent on the Goons winning it. Which they won't.

FA Cup runners up, if the winners have already qualified for the CL, play in EL.
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/

Winning the league with 70 points is a far greater achievement than coming second with 85

I can't agree with you there mate. Gaining 72 points was all very well and good but we still finished below Woolwich. We still didn't have a poor season by anyone's imagination, though.

Of course, but there is no difference between the two seasons they are citing, or any with Redknapp or AVB. We we nothing more in 11/12 or 12/13, qualified for nothing extra, finished behind Woolwich still...

What I hate more than anything is the suggestion that we're nothing without Harry Redknapp.

If anything, Harry Redknapp is nothing without Spurs. We didn't meltdown without him, we didn't rely on Modric or VdV.

I recall, in fact, certain anatognist on here saying that Modric caused us to lose two games just by not playing in them that same season, yet the next one we played a whole season without players like him and won an extra game.

Eskimo and Sammy goading on about comparing a season where we won something against one where we didn't only serves to show they don't understand.

If that were the case, they'd have to admit that the 2001/02 and 2008/09 season were better any that Harry had to offer. To not, would be contradicting their point, because even Juande Ramos and George Graham won more cups at spurs than Harry, but I'm sure they won't admit that they had better seasons (by their rules)

I just have a hard time characterizing last season as a failure when Woolwich only topped us by 1 point, in a season in which Spurs weren't granted a single penalty, and Woolwich flopped around and secured untold points through penalties because of Cazorla's diving abilities.

I just have a hard time characterizing last season as a failure when Woolwich only topped us by 1 point, in a season in which Spurs weren't granted a single penalty, and Woolwich flopped around and secured untold points through penalties because of Cazorla's diving abilities.

Without 2 of our best players from the season before in Modric & VdV too, and one of our top 5 in Adebayor having a quiet season.

There's plenty of positive points for anyone willing to accept them.

I find it ridiculous to see it as a step backwards - couldn't give a shit what Liverpool fans say, they need to judge themselves without Torres first...

You do realise that that 1pt meant we finished 5th right?

And that our objective was 4th and CL football?

And not to play this season in the EL...?

That is how we failed. We did not succeed in reaching our target.

It really is that simple.

There's plenty of positive points for anyone willing to accept them.

There were plenty of positives, but the catastrophe of this season meant we could not build on them.

You should care what Liverpool fans say....because some of you are starting to sound like them (and Wenger), crying and shifting the goal posts to make coming 5th sound like some kind of trophy.

"We didnt have Modric and VDV so 5th is better than 4th.....City were better....we dont have as much money so in our world EL > CL"

If the record points tally is so important answer me this: Had we achieved 74pts in, say 2001, would last season still be a success to you?

Eskimo and Sammy goading on about comparing a season where we won something against one where we didn't only serves to show they don't understand.

If that were the case, they'd have to admit that the 2001/02 and 2008/09 season were better any that Harry had to offer. To not, would be contradicting their point, because even Juande Ramos and George Graham won more cups at spurs than Harry, but I'm sure they won't admit that they had better seasons (by their rules)

You can compare chalk and cheese if you want to, but Im talking about finishing position in the table, and what finishing 4th meant.

In my opinion, that run in where we got 4th, and then the CL run the following year trumped winning the CC.

And seeing as you want to pin point contradiction here, answer this:

Which is a better season?
Title Winners on 80pts
Runner's Up on 85pts

Just pick one...no essays which say nothing of value. Simply pick which season is the better one to you.

Last edited:
sammyspurs sammyspurs yeah, our objective was CL football, and we failed to meet that objective, but as much as you're crying about a sense of entitlement in some corners I have to say that you're doing a pretty fucking phenomenal job of sounding exactly like one of them at the moment.

Pull yourself together man, or have you forgotten the words of Bill Nich? We missed out on CL football by a single point in the league in two consecutive seasons. It's a sucker-punch, but it's not the fucking end of the world; for fuck's sake you're making the same arguments that Sheikh Mansour made when he sacked Mancini for not winning the title back-to-back.

There were plenty of positives, but the catastrophe of this season meant we could not build on them.

You should care what Liverpool fans say....because some of you are starting to sound like them (and Wenger), crying and shifting the goal posts to make coming 5th sound like some kind of trophy.

"We didnt have Modric and VDV so 5th is better than 4th.....City were better....we dont have as much money so in our world EL > CL"

If the record points tally is so important answer me this: Had we achieved 74pts in, say 2001, would last season still be a success to you?

It would depend on what had occured between then and now.

What I've done is chart the ENIC seasons. What we obviously know is that our more successful managers peaked in their first full seasons.

As we've been there-or-thereabouts for 5 seasons or so, the general feeling is that we've been going somewhere, but last season was clearly an improvement on the previous 2 for points.

What we shouldn't forget is that Harry had a cracking first full season in charge. CL for the first time, beating City on the last day, it was end to end excitement.

What's important to not forget, however, is that in the next two seasons we didn't actually progress. The season we qualified for the CL, we also got to the SF of the FA Cup (shit Portsmouth game) and the QF of the league cup - everything we want these days in cup runs and fourth. The next one we had a lower points tally, 5th in the league and we were ejected from the domestic cups pretty much straight away. The QF of the Champs League masked over most of that.
The next season (Harry's 4th season) we threw the Europa and League Cup away at the first hurdle, got to the SF of the FA Cup (humiliated by Chelsea), threw away our fantastic start to the season, just scraped fourth and yet still didn't get CL.

I'm not comparing last season to 2009-10 when we got CL and had great cup runs, I'm comparing it to 2011-12 where the league cup and Europa performances were worse, and we could say that we didn't qualify for CL because everyone else did great. That year, it was because every woolwich and chelsea fan's dream came true.
chart.jpg

CL Season is the orange box...

I'm sorry, but I don't look back on 2011-12 with good memories. For me, we threw everything away all season..

"Oh look we're 10 pts clear in 3rd" Fucked it
"Oh look we're in the semi of the Fa cup" Fucked it
"Oh look we finally managed to scrape the CL places" Fucked it

I'd rather look back on last season and think that it was the season we had on of the best players to play for us in amazing form, we showed we could survive without Modric, and we fought like men in the league despite having shit tactics.

Back
Top Bottom