Ivan Toney

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My view is that International football in its current form is unsustainable. I hardly ever watch it any more and yet I used to love it.

FIFA should line up the football calendar worldwide so every countries domestic football begins and ends at the same time.

At the end of the season all international football should be played. In Europe there is a major tournament every two years. If the qualification games were all played in the months of May and June, during the years when there are no tournaments, how difficult would that be to organise?

The season could finish a month earlier in April if there were no stoppages to the season for international breaks.

The national teams could be picked based on which players had performed well over the entire season and which players were fit enough, (not injured), to play.

The national coaches could focus their efforts on the under 21 teams during the domestic season.

Supporters would be happy about watching their respective national teams at the end of the season instead of feeling fed up watching pointless friendlies and qualifiers that interrupt and disrupt club football.

Bring back a bi annual Home Internationals tournament and invite the Republic of Ireland and a floating international side to take part in it too.

The FA are a waste of space. Jobs for the boys.
I think you are in the minority and fifa and club football are in competition so unlikely to happen.

It's easy to see via a UK bias but in a lot of other nations national football is still king. Look at our argies for example

But that is gambling on himself… he plays against city at least twice and could influence the outcome.

English players should not be allowed to bet on English teams… too much inside information or risk of match fixing. If Toney wanted to bet on la liga, I wouldn’t care.

Really if the rules are that he shouldnt bet at all, then he shouldn’t. He makes a million per season.
I don't think you'd lose to City on purpose, you'd want to make a big impression instead. That's what he did the other day, didn't he.

And I also don't think it's about money for the vast majority of them players who gamble. Ex pros who used to bet said it was cause they were bored as eff mainly.

Over a four year span it amounts to little more than one bet per week....... Considering there's football anywhere between 5 - 7 days per week in the EFL/EPL alone + cups; that doesn't suggest compulsion to me.
You missed the bit where we had a chat that highlighted it was likely to be way more as there only looking at bets that conflict with pro football huh.

When you are doing something you know you are 100% not allowed to do?

It’s either some sort of habit or he’s incredibly stupid.

Well; yeh there's strong potential that "stupid" comes into play........ Some people just have a complacency that they won't get caught.

I'm not sure Toney is the brightest...... He allowed himself to be filmed saying "Fuck Brentford" directly into some blokes camera not so long ago.

Bit like indulging in cocaine or heroin every weekend v spending your life doing it.

Is it still an addiction if you only do it once a week?

Not necessarily; no...

Are you an alcoholic cos you go to the pub every Friday night?

You missed the bit where we had a chat that highlighted it was likely to be way more as there only looking at bets that conflict with pro football huh.

You mean something that was posted after your post?

Sorry bro... I'm not reading the thread back to front. 🙃

Last edited:
Over a four year span it amounts to little more than one bet per week....... Considering there's football anywhere between 5 - 7 days per week in the EFL/EPL alone + cups; that doesn't suggest compulsion to me.
When I first read about this I did the arithmetic you have done regarding the amount of bets and the period of time covered. Once I realised it was, as you say, about one bet a week, and then took into account the fact that Toney was under the radar in the lower leagues throughout much of this time, I formed the opinion it is as if someone has gone looking for skeletons in Toney's closet and this was the best they could come up with.

It seems pretty pathetic to me. Do we really think that all the players in the lower leagues at the moment never place a bet or give friends a tip?

I think you are in the minority and fifa and club football are in competition so unlikely to happen.

It's easy to see via a UK bias but in a lot of other nations national football is still king. Look at our argies for example
But it could be King everywhere if FIFA sorted out surely?

Does the continual break in the domestic season not pi55 you off when England are playing Latvia or Estonia for the 7th time in 4 years?

But it could be King everywhere if FIFA sorted out surely?

Does the continual break in the domestic season not pi55 you off when England are playing Latvia or Estonia for the 7th time in 4 years?
Loads of times it pisses me off but I realise the world doesn't revolve around me nor England. We had a go at running fifa, we ran it thinking England were boss, I doubt we'll get another go.

Loads of times it pisses me off but I realise the world doesn't revolve around me nor England. We had a go at running fifa, we ran it thinking England were boss, I doubt we'll get another go.
The World Cups are always played in June so to a certain extent the rest of the world has already accepted that principle. If the qualifying process was played out in the last weeks of May, and the whole of June, the domestic season in Europe would finish earlier and accommodate it more easily.

How hard can it be?

The World Cups are always played in June so to a certain extent the rest of the world has already accepted that principle. If the qualifying process was played out in the last weeks of May, and the whole of June, the domestic season in Europe would finish earlier and accommodate it more easily.

How hard can it be?
Qatar won a summer tournament, its a disgrace they won and even more so they were allowed to change the rules after winning.

Don't know how this adds to your point, international is not unsustainable, it is and will continue to be important regardless. It isn't unsustainable and to think it is needs a huge premier league bias.

Qatar won a summer tournament, its a disgrace they won and even more so they were allowed to change the rules after winning.

Don't know how this adds to your point, international is not unsustainable, it is and will continue to be important regardless. It isn't unsustainable and to think it is needs a huge premier league bias.

My point is that I think some people are losing interest in international football. You don't agree with that point.

I used to watch the national team when Hoddle and then Keegan were managing. The club loyalties were always there within the crowd; especially at Wembley. I saw loads of arguments breaking out if players from certain clubs began getting slagged off.

I do think supporters of some clubs don't really care about England any more.

My further point is that I believe there are another group of supporters, not necessarily exclusive to Spurs, who are fed up with the constant international breaks and stop / start to the domestic season. If a player gets injured on international duty this is a further gripe. In this instance we have seen players losing interest in the domestic season because they are afraid to miss out on an international tournament.

It's money isn't it?

We all know it.

I used to watch the national team when Hoddle and then Keegan were managing. The club loyalties were always there within the crowd; especially at Wembley. I saw loads of arguments breaking out if players from certain clubs began getting slagged off.

I do think supporters of some clubs don't really care about England any more.

My further point is that I believe there are another group of supporters, not necessarily exclusive to Spurs, who are fed up with the constant international breaks and stop / start to the domestic season. If a player gets injured on international duty this is a further gripe. In this instance we have seen players losing interest in the domestic season because they are afraid to miss out on an international tournament.

It's money isn't it?

We all know it.
Your point is you don't like international football and most premier league supporters don't a lot either? Yes I agree.

My point is it matters zero to international football being unsustainable.

Your point is you don't like international football and most premier league supporters don't a lot either? Yes I agree.

My point is it matters zero to international football being unsustainable.
I said unsustainable in it's current form. It needs to be reformed. So do the lower leagues with their 46 league game calendar.

They will eventually kill the goose that laid the golden egg if interest in these games dissolves.

I blame the F.A. for being useless and unfit for purpose.

I said unsustainable in it's current form. It needs to be reformed. So do the lower leagues with their 46 league game calendar.

I blame the F.A. for being useless and unfit for purpose.
EPL or England is not international. What we want doesn't change fifa...thats not how it works.

Fifa is 200+ FAs ours has little influence

Maybe it’s been said here, but Toney placed some bets (which are probably irrelevant unless he’s bet on his own games). Meanwhile that other clown raped a girl and he’s played all the games this season, and he’s headed to the WC.

Back
Top Bottom