Ivan Toney

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think your point about his earning and possible addictive behaviour is at all relevant. This strange association between a soccer players earnings and any given issue is frankly deeply tabloid and unhelpful.

I can't know the level of this man's issues but we have contributors who have spoken very eloquently on the subject of gambling addiction and I'd invite them to comment as I think their opinions on the issue add a bit more value than 'bets got nothing to do with wealth'. Which incidently I fully agree with. Rich or poor over two hundred bets looks compulsive to me, not about too much money not enough money or I'm bored.
I can easily see gambling addiction be quite common among pro athletes. They don't work the same hours as the rest of us so unless they are involved with a lot of off the pitch stuff they probably work a couple of intense hours per day with training/match prep. And then have the rest of the day off. Placing some bets can probably start off as an easy way to kill an hour or so and quickly escalate if you have a addictive personality.

Yes, you're right it was leaked. But my point is it was going to be revealed a few days later on the Wednesday when the FA charged him.
It's all in the timing though isn't it?

On form Ivan Toney deserves his chance. Rashford has been assisted in getting Toney's place. The fact that Callum Wilson gets in ahead of Toney as well is even more suspect. I'm sure the Toon's new owners are very pleased about Wilson's inclusion.

Toney's been nobbled in my opinion.

On form Ivan Toney deserves his chance. Rashford has been assisted in getting Toney's place. The fact that Callum Wilson gets in ahead of Toney as well is even more suspect. I'm sure the Toon's new owners are very pleased about Wilson's inclusion.

The England squad was named before the leak.

And the FA had control over the timing and release of both sources of information.
What difference does it make when either was released. If Southgate had picked him, not knowing about the pending case (highly unlikely), Toney would have been withdrawn from the England squad. He was never going to be playing at the World Cup, whatever order the information was released.

What difference does it make when either was released. If Southgate had picked him, not knowing about the pending case (highly unlikely), Toney would have been withdrawn from the England squad. He was never going to be playing at the World Cup, whatever order the information was released.
So why leak the news?

How comes clubs can be sponsored by betting companies and owned by bet companies (Stoke) yet players cannot bet on matches, shouldn't there be a ban for all in that case?
Its not a moral objection, players can bet just not on football.

But yes there should be a ban.

He wasn't match fixing by the looks of it so it is strange regarding the timing of this news being leaked.

Who benefits from the leak I wonder?

Mr school dinners certainly does. Not as prolific as Toney on the field of play but back in with a shout for his recent form.

Who would Southgate prefer I wonder?

Penny dropping?

Strange how these things often happen at convenient / inconvenient moments.....
It was leaked ages ago, been floating around for a month or so.

The FA would have told Southgate regardless of leak, he was already in the system for weeks. If you are going to question then why he was caught is the one not the leak.

I can easily see gambling addiction be quite common among pro athletes. They don't work the same hours as the rest of us so unless they are involved with a lot of off the pitch stuff they probably work a couple of intense hours per day with training/match prep. And then have the rest of the day off. Placing some bets can probably start off as an easy way to kill an hour or so and quickly escalate if you have a addictive personality.

They can’t drink and they can’t do drugs so it’s a definite way to chase a buzz.

80s and 90s it was all about card games on coaches etc. These days with online betting 10x easier to get addicted.

Betting companies are very effective with their advertising too. I know my nephew and his friends bet in game, a lot of lads from my old u23s would be the same. Betting is a big part of watching consuming premier league football.

The FA would have told Southgate regardless of leak, he was already in the system for weeks. If you are going to question then why he was caught is the one not the leak.
My view is that International football in its current form is unsustainable. I hardly ever watch it any more and yet I used to love it.

FIFA should line up the football calendar worldwide so every countries domestic football begins and ends at the same time.

At the end of the season all international football should be played. In Europe there is a major tournament every two years. If the qualification games were all played in the months of May and June, during the years when there are no tournaments, how difficult would that be to organise?

The season could finish a month earlier in April if there were no stoppages to the season for international breaks.

The national teams could be picked based on which players had performed well over the entire season and which players were fit enough, (not injured), to play.

The national coaches could focus their efforts on the under 21 teams during the domestic season.

Supporters would be happy about watching their respective national teams at the end of the season instead of feeling fed up watching pointless friendlies and qualifiers that interrupt and disrupt club football.

Bring back a bi annual Home Internationals tournament and invite the Republic of Ireland and a floating international side to take part in it too.

The FA are a waste of space. Jobs for the boys.

over two hundred bets looks compulsive to me, not about too much money not enough money or I'm bored.

Over a four year span it amounts to little more than one bet per week....... Considering there's football anywhere between 5 - 7 days per week in the EFL/EPL alone + cups; that doesn't suggest compulsion to me.

Over a four year span it amounts to little more than one bet per week....... Considering there's football anywhere between 5 - 7 days per week in the EFL/EPL alone + cups; that doesn't suggest compulsion to me.

When you are doing something you know you are 100% not allowed to do?

It’s either some sort of habit or he’s incredibly stupid.

Bit like indulging in cocaine or heroin every weekend v spending your life doing it.

Is it still an addiction if you only do it once a week?

Back
Top Bottom