Is today's football better than the old days?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing I hate about most about modern football is the social media/punditry/so called expert analysis. All in the name of click bait/pathetic trolling.

Does my fucking head in.
The thing I love most about being in Canada is the absence of football punditry. Instead, it's wall-to-wall hockey bullshit, and since I don't watch hockey, it's easily avoided.

Could you imagine I think Francis Lee (derby) laying into a Leeds player in the middle of the field? That happened now EPL would go into meltdown.

Whilst I can't disagree with that in total, Spurs fans have walked out on mass on the 80 min mark in too many games I care to remember, especially those games at Wembley. There is now pressure to remain when thousands leave the stands early, when we lost the FA Cup semi-final 5-1 vs Chelsea, I was the only person within 20 rows of me, determined to sit it out I felt defiant, then I got an overwhelming sensation that I could be filmed, the twat sat on his tod, looking depressed screened live around the World and turned into an internet meme, so I legend it, couldn't get out of the place fast enough.

Unfortunately no-one will get that song after a missed pen, Ade was crucified for missing his, no song started when Kane missed his at Liverpool. Those days are long gone I'm afraid, the intent will be there from many fans, just they are the minority now, the vast majority are already filing down Wembley way.

This season at Wembley I get it. I don’t leave games early as a personal rule which I’m ingraining in my boy but I’m not going to call out others on it. Wembley is a total ball ache and it’s not “home”. Leaving early at the Lane really winds me up.

Unfortunately in the past I’ve got into arguments with fellow supporters about it - leaving at 75-80 minutes while telling everyone its shit, fuck off thats the opposite of support.
Even at a car park where I was told “if you park there you should leave at 80minutes” after I wandered straight there at full time.
Like watching the whole game is the wrong thing to do!

But I’ve learnt to just keep my mouth shut. It’s more normal to leave on 80 minutes now. A sign of the times and the way we live our lives now to the second and caring more about 5-10 minutes than potentially missing that comeback or winning goal.

I first went when a 3pm kick off often meant getting on the terraces at 145pm to get the place you wanted, wonder if that shaped me. Different times altogether.

£20 for most games, bit more for hearts or old firm
kids are £12
Ticket prices this seasons F.A Cup final £145!!!!! How on earth do they justify that? Yes a cup final but really £145....that’s just your ticket you’ve travel,expenses for your day on top! If we had made would you have payed that? Some may argue for us yes based on we are not in the final very often and our support would have made the effort, but supposing that is ridiculous and what somes up modern football money,money,money and ill make a bold statement it won’t be a classic!

This season at Wembley I get it. I don’t leave games early as a personal rule which I’m ingraining in my boy but I’m not going to call out others on it. Wembley is a total ball ache and it’s not “home”. Leaving early at the Lane really winds me up.

Unfortunately in the past I’ve got into arguments with fellow supporters about it - leaving at 75-80 minutes while telling everyone its shit, fuck off thats the opposite of support.
Even at a car park where I was told “if you park there you should leave at 80minutes” after I wandered straight there at full time.
Like watching the whole game is the wrong thing to do!

But I’ve learnt to just keep my mouth shut. It’s more normal to leave on 80 minutes now. A sign of the times and the way we live our lives now to the second and caring more about 5-10 minutes than potentially missing that comeback or winning goal.

I first went when a 3pm kick off often meant getting on the terraces at 145pm to get the place you wanted, wonder if that shaped me. Different times altogether.
I'm the same as you mate. However I think the only thing that is different today than it was "back in the day" is no-one noticed people leaving before the end of a game. Now it's all seater stadiums there is a gaping hole in the shape of a seat left when someone leaves, as opposed to, on the terraces, when that gap was just swallowed up by those standing.

The ancient Romans said (in Latin) "Panem et circenses" that is to give the people food to eat and show to follow so as not to think of real life, to control the population.

It's nice to cheer a football team but this bulimia often only serves to fill lives. About football 24/24 I preferred football in the 90s: it had evolved but it had not arrived at today's circus.

I'm the same as you mate. However I think the only thing that is different today than it was "back in the day" is no-one noticed people leaving before the end of a game. Now it's all seater stadiums there is a gaping hole in the shape of a seat left when someone leaves, as opposed to, on the terraces, when that gap was just swallowed up by those standing.
You did?

There are lots of questions and comparisons that can be made but is it correct to do so?
Football has evolved into the money monster that we have today. Do players play for money or the shirt , do clubs put finance above sucess, do supporters get a bad deal.

A player can only be as good and compared to thier peers. Memory plays tricks and we can easy forget the shite from the past but are experiencing the shite of the present. At least football is a little more transparant today with the high level of (social) media coverage although at times we are fed a game that is not real in reality.

For me , what I see and what I read and hear are not compatible , it doesn't make sense anymore.

Last edited:
As a Spurs fan I have to diagree. Those were bleak times. '91 & '99 aside of course.

I understand you. Juventus had a dark period between 1986 (when Platini retired) and 1994 (Lippi's arrival). At that time only one Italian cup (1989) and a UEFA Cup (won by practically Baggio in 1993). But it was Milan's years

Could you imagine I think Francis Lee (derby) laying into a Leeds player in the middle of the field? That happened now EPL would go into meltdown.

It was Norman Hunter and I think that they finished the said exchange of pleasantries in the car park afterwards with Mr Lee coming out on top but best of mates later!

Back
Top Bottom