Is today's football better than the old days?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Imagine Jimmy greaves and george best having the advantages of playing in the modern game. Fitness, nutrition and better pitches with no centre half trying to cripple them every game.

They’d still be great players. Probably even better than they were.

I don’t think people are saying the best players from past eras wouldn’t still be among the best today. For me it’s more about the broader quality. Today there are academies, networks of scouts, and multiple other methods of identifying the best young players around, as early as possible. Due to the money flowing through the sport it’s an attractive career possibility for children and their parents, and similarly the money involved provides a huge incentive for clubs to find potentially profitable new investments. All of this creates an industry that competitively strives to have the best available players at a particular club’s level. If someone isn’t up to scratch there’s a huge number of others ready to take their place.

That’s just the recruitment process. Add in the improved technical training and finely tuned fitness regimes and you can see how the overall quality of footballers has improved considerably. Football clubs in the 60s, 70s and 80s simply didn’t have as large a recruitment pool to fish from as modern clubs, so a decent player in the 60s probably wouldn’t even rank as below average today. The cream will always rise to the top regardless of era, but a passable top flight footballer from those decades would most likely struggle to get into a contemporary league two side.

see, i felt everything you lot are saying when Wimbledon were ripped up to become MK dongs. I played my football in the area, so most of my mates were wimbledon. I saw people trying to explain to their kids what had happened, saw all the hurt it put people through. Thats why I had an AFC Wimbledon season ticket for a few years (and spent a chunk of that time being called a spurs cunt by my mates).

non league football is fucking great. Hartley Witney, where the ticket sales are done by a guy with a bus conductors ticket machine as he wanders round the ground. Or Merstham, whose chairman came round the crowd shaking hands and thanking them for coming

Top level football is souless and corporate. I accept that it is what it is these days. for anyone that loses heart over it, every now and then watch a game in the lowest semi pro leagfue in your area. once or twice a year. the more community oriented the better. its gets your dander up.

see, i felt everything you lot are saying when Wimbledon were ripped up to become MK dongs. I played my football in the area, so most of my mates were wimbledon. I saw people trying to explain to their kids what had happened, saw all the hurt it put people through. Thats why I had an AFC Wimbledon season ticket for a few years (and spent a chunk of that time being called a spurs cunt by my mates).

non league football is fucking great. Hartley Witney, where the ticket sales are done by a guy with a bus conductors ticket machine as he wanders round the ground. Or Merstham, whose chairman came round the crowd shaking hands and thanking them for coming

Top level football is souless and corporate. I accept that it is what it is these days. for anyone that loses heart over it, every now and then watch a game in the lowest semi pro leagfue in your area. once or twice a year. the more community oriented the better. its gets your dander up.
I love non league.
The other week a few of the lot i go over Haringey Borough with ( i was working) paid 15 quid for a coach to Dereham Town in Norfolk...They were on the same coach as the Players!

Players like Hoddle, Cruyff, Gullit, Van Basten, Zico, Platini, etc were a lot better than most of today's current crop. They would certainly rival Messi & Ronaldo.
Yep,i'll agree with that.There's a habit these days of dismissing players of the pre premiership era.
Hoddle remains the most skillful English man i have ever seen.

I love non league.
The other week a few of the lot i go over Haringey Borough with ( i was working) paid 15 quid for a coach to Dereham Town in Norfolk...They were on the same coach as the Players!
Drinking in the bar at kinsmeadow with players. Mate of mine explaining to the dons centre half how to mark someone ar corners.whenever I get tired of the prem I go non league

I remember losing to Man Utd in the FA Cup in January and THAT being the end of our season. Despite that, the fans at Old Trafford had a blast and were probably having a better time before, during and after the match than the Man Utd fans. Football has lost its essence. It’s all about results and money: more of a financial exercise that a sport and a culture that it used to be.

But I do love watching the football that this squad can turn on. I won’t deny that I was utterly ecstatic at e.g. the Chavs or Real Madrid matches.

I hate aspects of the modern game, most points already covered. There are times that I wish Spurs were a non league side, as I'm sure that there would be a camaraderie that is definitely missing these days. I used to love going to away games on the SSC trains, no problem getting tickets then. I think the one thing that annoys me more than most is the faffing around with kick off times and dates. Back in the 80s, I used to know that games would only be played on Saturday afternoons, or Tuesday/Wednesday evenings.

I go to a fair number of hibs games up here and they are, like Scottish football, a bit of a blast from the past. The football can often be appalling but the experience reminds me a lot of games in the 80s and early 90s. I think because the arse/money fell out of the game or was never really shared out in Scotland the game is still very basic and as close to working class as it could be. You can also buy a ticket at the gate for most games which is brilliant.
Its a cliche but its all relative. great players in the 80s would be great players in the 00s, and so on. The players back then were still the best in their community and made it to the top. There may be a bigger pool, but there are also a lot less places for young aspiring footballers to just play the game - eg streets, parks.

no song started when Kane missed his at Liverpool. Those days are long gone I'm afraid

Jamie O'Hara. Everyone sang his name at the Middlesbrough home game that followed the Man Utd cup final.
Actually we did also all sing "Harry Kane, he's one of our own" at Liverpool straight after the missed penalty. Think you must have mis-remembered Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 or perhaps if you were watching on TV, it may have been drowned out as their fans were naturally singing after that.

Last edited:
Over all the quality is probably better now. For example if you compare the 91 Cup winners team to the team we out on Saturday you would have to say that the team on Saturday was better. BUT the top players in any era would still be top players now. Honestly think the likes of Gazza, Hoddle, Waddle, Archibald, and Lineker would fetch £200m + In today's market. and that is just keeping it Spurs related.

What is IMO killing the game is the money and the media (Maybe its linked) It is agenda driven and what you have now are pretty much the richest clubs winning the trophies. City & Chelsea in particular have ruined it for me. How can anyone give them so much credit? It is all tainted IMO.

The other aspect which is definitely worse for me say compared to the 80's early 90's is the match day experience and atmosphere. The terraces were great and of course it was cheaper. The crowd was of a different demographic and definitely more "working class" which was better as well.

The cup competitions and international football has also been devalued for me which is a bad thing in my eyes. Christ its world cup year and hardly anyone is talking about it. It just seemed more magical back in the 80's and 90's but maybe that's my age showing.

Football today is sanitised and money has too much influence. Bring back the days when. you could tackle, players learn to head the ball without fear of damage., a player retires and then runs a pub, a ref goes back to work on a Monday, a manager is allowed a personality and talks with passion., a centre forward is not a striker, lose the second goalie on the bench and bring back less subs and lose the statistics, shots on goal etc..
Why do we put up with Champions/Europa league football, bring back knock out football. its 1st Div not Premier league.

The football played today is almost a different sport compared to football played in say 70's or 80's (the 70's being first era of watching football, so wrong of me to make comparisons prior). But with few exceptions (Keegan, Dalglesh) most were no fitter than the average bloke that liked to run 10km 3 times a week today.
Micky Quinn was the Harry Kane equivalent of his day, I rest my case.........lol
tumblr_inline_mhcwai4UI21qz4rgp.jpg

This era of footballer was more accustomed to necking 10 pints of beer with his Chicken Biryani as his pre-match meal, many of them partial to a packet of fags too.

For the fans the excitement was arguably better than today, but I could be blinkered by two things here, I'm a Spurs fan so I went to a few Cup finals in this era and I was a young man then too, you know optimistic world all ahead of me etc.. I'm far more cynical today as I was then, what I read in the press I never challenged as wrong or click bait. But there were certain things that were much better in terms of the experience of watching football and that was standing and specifically on a terrace. This is important in that I could turn up on match day and pay on at the turnstile, I didn't have to have an ST, I didn't have to acquire a ticket days in advance and it was totally affordable even as a kid. It's also barring in mind that for probably the first 5yrs of taking myself to a game I genuinely saw no more than fleeting glimpses of the players, there was always someone bigger standing in front of me and despite getting into the ground two hours before kick off just so I could get to a barrier or get a spot where I could rest my heels on the step behind me, by the time KO came around I was surrounded by geezers on all sides blocking my the view, but whilst annoying it never spoilt the day.

Also and this may be my imagination, but I don't recall melters, I've seen us get battered so many times and back in the day no one lost their shit, it was a shrug of the shoulder and see you next week. There was disappointment and discussion but also no scapegoating of players, no vitriol. If you lost a Semi-Final or Cup Final you stayed to clap your side off the pitch, many actually staying to applaud the winning team!! "There's only one Danny Thomas". As I type this now, I think this is what I hate most about today and what I loved most about yesterday. I can't stand the melts, I can't stand the new football fan who isn't linked to the club through family or locality (I'm expressly calling out those who melt here, not those who support from far away and are don't melt). I will add though, living most of my life in North London with mates supporting either Spurs or Woolwich was/is special and whilst I have mates who support Spurs from the Home Counties there is something that is different, the intensity of living every waking minute inside the furnace of football fandom was fucking brilliant, when every teacher, shop keeper, dustman, roadsweeperl, market stall trader whoever had their allegiance. Now with social media that has gone, it's become faceless and irrelevant. Sorry if this makes me a snob but just speaking from the heart.

TDLR: The football is simply brilliant today, played at a far superior tempo and intensity. But the support isn't "support" today, it's just fandom and the match day experience (whether you are at the game or not) is worse because of it.
Great post
The only things I would like to add about the players was that the game was more skills based than an attritional athletic contest and there was a far higher percentage of players who possessed close control and relied on skills and trickery to bypass players to make opportunities happen. That has now largely replaced by athletic super fit footballers who will give and go rather than take a player on, which, to me has reduced the thrill of watching. Kids now watch the game rather than go out and play til dark, and British football is suffering for it. The reduction of tolerance to physical contact has cut out the the despicable thuggery that used to exist, but has allowed the game to degenerate into a cheat at all cost farce of shirt pulling and diving. For the younger posters, try to watch games from the 70s and see some of the tackles that players would simply get up from and carry on playing. For the depths that the game could sink to, watch the 1970 cup final and the replay between Leeds and Chelsea, both matches would have been abandoned today, as neither team would have had sufficient players to continue.
Football is indeed a thrilling game now, but, as has been pointed out elsewhere, and reiterated by Guido, it has lost its soul as it has become bloated by greed, obscene wages and financial reward, and is supported by whiny, "me me me me me" so called, supporters who believe they are entitled to success and bitch and moan about absolutely everything. This whilst seemingly to be totally ignorant about just how fucking hard it is to play football at any level, let alone with the requirements of instant control at obscene speed in the modern game
Some of the shameless ignorance shown on here about how shit people think players are, proves that many of them have miniscule levels of personal experience of trying to master the game.
Today's teams would decimate teams of the sixties and seventies, because they would run them into the ground (unless they had to play on a february pitch with 70% of it covered in sand) and blow them away with the speed and control of the modern game.
I'd still go back though, because it was the people's game played by real men who played with genuine flair and lived by the credo
“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.”

I go to a fair number of hibs games up here and they are, like Scottish football, a bit of a blast from the past. The football can often be appalling but the experience reminds me a lot of games in the 80s and early 90s. I think because the arse/money fell out of the game or was never really shared out in Scotland the game is still very basic and as close to working class as it could be. You can also buy a ticket at the gate for most games which is brilliant.
Its a cliche but its all relative. great players in the 80s would be great players in the 00s, and so on. The players back then were still the best in their community and made it to the top. There may be a bigger pool, but there are also a lot less places for young aspiring footballers to just play the game - eg streets, parks.
How much does it cost to watch Hibs? The cheapest adult ticket.

Back
Top Bottom