Individual mistakes in big games...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not mentality or bottle

It's lack of quality.

More quality = less fuck ups
Less quality = more fuck ups

Better players make less costly mistskes over the course of a season & teams with more quality can compensate better for their mistakes

We have no budget and are 3rd. Poch is doing excellently and the team are overachieving.

It's really that simple
Not gonna start naming names here but we have 3, maybe 4 players who play most games and are just not good enough....
The squad as a whole has done outstanding this season so far.
Ironically, when we had one of the best 11’s in the league our squad let us down, now our squad has stepped up its our best 11 that has dropped in quality....
If we don’t have the cash to invest this summer then we have no option but to raise that cash within our current ranks...I’d be happy to offload the following, and please excuse my guess at their values:
Eriksen 80m
Alderweireld 30m
Lamela 20m
Wanyama Free (wages)
Trippier 25m
Davies 20m
Theres 175m and id only bring in 3 damn good players!!

All this talk about goals conceded. Last night Chelsea only had 1 shot on target for the home side. The problem was we did not score or look like scoring. Very similar in many recent matches. We cannot go through a summer of wholesale changes like when Bale left and therefore many of the players playing poorly will stay.

2712CE3900000578-0-image-a-3_1427547205138.jpg

People keep crying about Lloris and Trippier because obviously their mistakes are the most obvious ones but I think it's quite clearly a mentality issue because in important moments and in important games players all over the pitch are consistently making these mistakes.

From horrible finishing, sloppy conceding of the ball in the midfield to calamitous own goals like last night's... it's all in their heads.

100% mate.

It is so blindingly obvious.

Everyone that played in the world cup needs to be assessed. Look at Pickford FFS... FFS. turned from Shilton to Taibi in a matter of months.

I put a lot of these so called mistakes coming to light down to my belief that when we have control of a game, we are very content chipping away for large durations on end waiting for our moment. I've seen us run the pace of a game for 30 minutes + without mustering an opportunity at goal. The longer we have our patches of dominance and don't do more with it, the more chance the other team will get a sniff through a slip or a goal against the run of play or even turn the tide and begins to take the onus.

For me what's more important isn't cutting out mistakes, some mistakes that can be brought on by going 1-0 down after dominating possession whilst lacking penetration or punch but to make the most of when we have large spells with the ball. We seem very happy in possession and I think we become a little complacent in these moments. When you've got the ball for 20 minutes, don't do anything of real significance with it but are happy passing it, moving, playing nice and neat and then a sudden you make a dodgy pass or are pushed onto the back foot it harms the team. For me it's more about taking advantage in spells of possession more frequently as opposed to ironing out silly little errors. Errors sometimes cannot be helped but what can be adjusted is the mindset when we have control of the game.

Teams will always get opportunities against you, you've got to make sure the games out of reach when in control of things before that occurs

Back
Top Bottom