Individual mistakes in big games...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another one last night from Trippier. Just as we were getting back into it. How many times does this happen in our big games? Is it a mentality thing? Are they nervous?

Even though the likes of Jones and Smalling are slated at Man Utd....they don't make half the mistakes we do or at least they are not punished from them.

In recent times these are the ones I can remember...
This season

Trippier last night / Lloris almost with his passing
Trippier vs Wolves (H)
Trippier vs Man Utd (H)
Lloris vs PSV (A)
KWP vs Barcelona (A)
Trippier vs Man City (H)
Rose vs Man Utd (A) - Lukaku missed a sitter

I think Vertonghen made 1 or 2 this year?

Last season
Dembele vs Man Utd (FA Cup Semi)
Dier vs Liverpool (A)
Dier vs Man Utd (A)

Seems like a theme doesn't it? Trippier and Dier? In all honesty though...every time we play a big game (either a cup match, CL or against one of the so-called top 6/7, there seems to be a big mistake that costs us).

Why does this keep happening?

Another one last night from Trippier. Just as we were getting back into it. How many times does this happen in our big games? Is it a mentality thing? Are they nervous?

Even though the likes of Jones and Smalling are slated at Man Utd....they don't make half the mistakes we do or at least they are not punished from them.

In recent times these are the ones I can remember...
This season

Trippier last night / Lloris almost with his passing
Trippier vs Wolves (H)
Trippier vs Man Utd (H)
Lloris vs PSV (A)
KWP vs Barcelona (A)
Trippier vs Man City (H)
Rose vs Man Utd (A) - Lukaku missed a sitter

I think Vertonghen made 1 or 2 this year?

Last season
Dembele vs Man Utd (FA Cup Semi)
Dier vs Liverpool (A)
Dier vs Man Utd (A)

Seems like a theme doesn't it? Trippier and Dier? In all honesty though...every time we play a big game (either a cup match, CL or against one of the so-called top 6/7, there seems to be a big mistake that costs us).

Why does this keep happening?

Because they aren’t good enough?

You can be the best coach in the world and Poch is one of the best but with Trippier and Davies they will never be more than average Championship players

Get rid

KWP might make it and I still don’t know what to make of Aurier

I'll list them all, don't worry. In order too.

Vertonghen vs Watford.
Vorm vs Liverpool.
Trippier vs Barcelona.
Alderweireld vs PSV.
Lloris vs PSV.
Trippier vs Man City.
Trippier vs Wolves.
Vertonghen vs Woolwich.
Foyth vs Woolwich.
KWP vs Barcelona
Trippier vs Everton.
Trippier vs Wolves.
Trippier vs Man Utd.
Eriksen/Sissoko/Vertonghen vs Burnley.
Trippier vs Chelsea.

I'll list them all, don't worry. In order too.

Vertonghen vs Watford.
Vorm vs Liverpool.
Trippier vs Barcelona.
Alderweireld vs PSV.
Lloris vs PSV.
Trippier vs Man City.
Trippier vs Wolves.
Vertonghen vs Woolwich.
Foyth vs Woolwich.
KWP vs Barcelona
Trippier vs Everton.
Trippier vs Wolves.
Trippier vs Man Utd.
Eriksen/Sissoko/Vertonghen vs Burnley.
Trippier vs Chelsea.
1 name appears far too often

we bring it on 75% of it ourselfs. Constantly kicking around at the back , Llioris to Aurier, Trippier back across the penalty area to Jan back to Llioris .
It's a calamity waiting too happen .
Watch it fuck up on Saturday with their high press.

we bring it on 75% of it ourselfs. Constantly kicking around at the back , Llioris to Aurier, Trippier back across the penalty area to Jan back to Llioris .
It's a calamity waiting too happen .
Watch it fuck up on Saturday with their high press.
If we get beaten on Saturday, the confidence in the squad will go. I fell we can get the win, but we need to be switched on the full 90 minutes, not for 5-10 mins every so often. Get at them early doors and have them do the defending!

If same players keep making mistakes they are not good enough. Poch has been too loyal. How has KWP not had a kick at RB ahead of the chuckle brothers

Aurier hasn't made a single individual mistake leading to a goal this season, funnily enough.

But yes, I agree with your point. It's ridiculous that KWP hasn't been given a chance. No better chance than from now until the end of the season to see what he's made of.

You can be the best coach in the world and Poch is one of the best but with Trippier and Davies they will never be more than average Championship players

Get rid

This.

A lot of our players simply do not posses enough quality to be able to coast through games. Whenever a number of our players aren't absolutely 100% 'on it', we struggle against pretty much anyone we play against.

I honestly don't think it's much to do with mentality, I think Poch has genuinely made the likes of Trippier, Davies, Dier, Sissoko etc believe they are good enough to compete, but that doesn't mean that in the cold light of day they actually are.

There's too sides to this coin sadly.

There's the obvious, glaring errors and there are the small, but equally costly errors that go more unnoticed. There has been a multitude of them compounding the individual errors.

This.

A lot of our players simply do not posses enough quality to be able to coast through games. Whenever a number of our players aren't absolutely 100% 'on it', we struggle against pretty much anyone we play against.

I honestly don't think it's much to do with mentality, I think Poch has genuinely made the likes of Trippier, Davies, Dier, Sissoko etc believe they are good enough to compete, but that doesn't mean that in the cold light of day they actually are.
Or that they are, but only if the rest of the team is all operating at full capacity. If the big guns are not on it on the day the supporting players are obviously going to get exposed.

What’s interesting is that every mistake is from a defender or keeper.

People en masse think we need a new central midfield, but no one picking up on the constant barrage of pressure our defenders are put under due to this.

Some mistakes are clearly Hugo or Tripppier being careless and costly, but some come out of the pressure caused by the players in front of them pussying out of challenges and letting people ghost through them.

Those players are certainly not Winks, Sissoko, Dier or Dembele.
Would be interested to see who played a deeper CM role in some of those games.

For me Dele and Eriksen have a knack of not getting involved when playing deeper roles, and play as if they are attackers when it comes to putting players under pressure.

Quite simply it’s way too easy for teams to get at our defence.
While we take an eternity and can’t even reach the box.
People like to slag off Burnley etc for defending, well that’s our problem.
They defend from the front, so have 11 men protecting their goals (while still causing us problems every time they go forward)

We defend from the back 4. Our midfield maestros don’t control attacks, or temper onslaughts with presence.
We’ve become a long ball team basically, and not a very good one.

People en masse think we need a new central midfield, but no one picking up on the constant barrage of pressure our defenders are put under due to this.

Some mistakes are clearly Hugo or Tripppier being careless and costly, but some come out of the pressure caused by the players in front of them pussying out of challenges and letting people ghost through them.

For me Dele and Eriksen have a knack of not getting involved when playing deeper roles, and play as if they are attackers when it comes to putting players under pressure.

They defend from the front, so have 11 men protecting their goals (while still causing us problems every time they go forward)

We defend from the back 4. Our midfield maestros don’t control attacks, or temper onslaughts with presence.

I agree 100%. I love how we play at times always on the front foot, but wish at times, especially against the big boys, we sat back a bit more then counter-attacked. It's been Chelsea's game for at least 10 years, United are doing it now under OGS. We seem to dominate games but lack that killer instinct. It's all about the game management in those types of matches.

As we are so far forward, our defence gets put under pressure so easily, leading to mistakes, often by players who are terrible with the ball at their feet. If we sat back more, we might have a better chance in these circumstances. The Chelsea FA Cup semi final 2 years ago is a prime example. We were camped out in their half...they hit us on the break a few times and ended up winning 4-2. This was with about 65/70% possession

Agree with that especially your last paragraph

So if we are a long ball team due to our FBs why don’t we just play like it?
Another poster said that we piss about at the back sometimes even across the area leading to mistakes etc so why doesn’t Hugo hit the long ball earlier and our midfield/forwards put in a challenge in an area away from our goal instead of playing it out to our FBs who aren’t capable of taking on an opponent and going past them or hitting an accurate pass forward
They go sideways or back again or play a poor ball forward and because of this our structure becomes narrow which doesn’t suit us
So the likes of Eriksen has to come deeper to get possession
I want him in the opponents half making a killer pass and I think he just did it once last night
I want Sissoko breaking up play in midfield, going forward and feeding the likes of Eriksen not being a nursemaid to our FBs

We were lucky earlier on last night when Higuain hit the post and it was a bad miss from him

I posted at half time that we had to keep it tight for about 15 minutes or so and then they would tire but we couldn’t, giving away a poor goal
You could blame Eriksen, Davies, Toby or Hugo but it was a clusterfuck which killed us and invited them to sit back and counter attack

Their second was an absolute joke and has been discussed at length

I’m ranting a bit but still absolutely fuming as I hate those Nazi cunts and defeat on Saturday is just unthinkable

Agree with that especially your last paragraph

So if we are a long ball team due to our FBs why don’t we just play like it?
Another poster said that we piss about at the back sometimes even across the area leading to mistakes etc so why doesn’t Hugo hit the long ball earlier and our midfield/forwards put in a challenge in an area away from our goal instead of playing it out to our FBs who aren’t capable of taking on an opponent and going past them or hitting an accurate pass forward
They go sideways or back again or play a poor ball forward and because of this our structure becomes narrow which doesn’t suit us
So the likes of Eriksen has to come deeper to get possession
I want him in the opponents half making a killer pass and I think he just did it once last night
I want Sissoko breaking up play in midfield, going forward and feeding the likes of Eriksen not being a nursemaid to our FBs

We were lucky earlier on last night when Higuain hit the post and it was a bad miss from him

I posted at half time that we had to keep it tight for about 15 minutes or so and then they would tire but we couldn’t, giving away a poor goal
You could blame Eriksen, Davies, Toby or Hugo but it was a clusterfuck which killed us and invited them to sit back and counter attack

Their second was an absolute joke and has been discussed at length

I’m ranting a bit but still absolutely fuming as I hate those Nazi cunts and defeat on Saturday is just unthinkable

In fairness their first goal was an absolute joke too.

Thing is, I can't see what Davies did wrong last night to get any grief.

Get rid

Curious you bring up Davies without him being cited for such a blunder....

Yes, he got burned for pace by Mane & Sane a few years ago (seemingly addressed this in his game cos it's not a recurring feature of his game) , but he's steady, safe hands in terms of his defensive game.

Under-rated by most Yids.

Back
Top Bottom