If Tottenham were to be relegated

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Tottenham Hotspur was to be relegated would you be happy or sad? part of me says happy, as hopefully that means cheaper ticketing and some different away days, plus a few champions league fans might dissapear plus chance of going to wembley in the play offs, always love a good trip to 'wem-ber- ley' if we go down, but another part of me says it would be bad as we'd just be going backwards

EDIT: Obviously i would never want us to go down, i'm just saying in the event of a suprise relegation would you go into crash position and cry yourself to sleep every night or look with optimism for a bit of change

if its anything like the last season we had in div 2 then i'd be all for it... in fact i'd wet my knickers with glee!
don't think the country would like it though!... we caused havoc everywhere.. the good thing was all the little towns best came out to meet you! & the little town next door!!.. even the chance of a couple of games with millwall as well...sounds even better as i'm thinking about it.. best year in my spurs career
champions league got nothing to field mill in the pissing down of rain!.

it would be interesting , my other team has gone down to second division when i was a wee lad, the day we got relegated i cried and with me loads of other fans.

Ienjoyed it the first season, the second not so much and the third season we destroyed the league so that was nice. The thing is though that it took us three seasons because we were a footballing side playing against butchers that only played counter football and literally broke our frale but technically gifted players in half. Everywhere we went we had to pay way too much because the small clubs in Belgian 2 nd division only have about 2 k fans so when we came in force they wanted to make the most out of it, most of the time we were more than the home support so felt like 34 home games. To make the financial matters worse our team kept charging almost the same prices as in 1 st division because well we needed the money to survice in a commercial unviable league ... Winning everything felt nice though #gloryhuntingcuntalert

But the atmosphere around the fans was the best ever, when you get relegated everybody is down and at the start of the season most come back, you win a lot and there is a certain nostalgia about visiting small clubs, grounds that look like they belong in the 50's, fanshops that are just containers in disguise and so on, most away games were bonkers. The quality of the football was dire but the entertainment value of those seasons is unrivaled.

In England the first aspect would be a problem as the Championship is pretty rough football wise but overcharging already happens anyway so it would probably be cheaper to watch Spurs (due to lower home prices).

Oh and i'd have to stay up later to watch the league show in stead of MOTD, no beauty sleep any more

if its anything like the last season we had in div 2 then i'd be all for it... in fact i'd wet my knickers with glee!
don't think the country would like it though!... we caused havoc everywhere.. the good thing was all the little towns best came out to meet you! & the little town next door!!.. even the chance of a couple of games with millwall as well...sounds even better as i'm thinking about it.. best year in my spurs career

Same here. LOVED our season in Div 2. We literally took thousands to every away game.
Mansfield, Notts County, Millwall, Bristol Rovers etc - EVERY away day was fun.
Felt like we were invincible & with the numbers we had, we probably were.

If people want to go to shit grounds and feel all nostalgic you can still do it any day of the week, anywhere in the country. (for the record I go away with mates who support Plymouth on occassion so have been to plenty of seriously crap grounds) We certainly don't ever need or want Tottenham there again although I agree it would get rid of a few fanboy wankers.

I cringed so hard at all those crazy relegated jawdies teasing off over that single match against Peterborough with terracing. Mugs.

Rangers fans are loving their trips around Scotland's football backwaters (i.e. anywhere not Celtic or Aberdeen) - not sure the local police have been as pleased.

To amuse you as this thread is ridiculous -

I knew a woman who pretended to be a vegan, but ate chilli sauce and bolognese in secret. You remind me of her.

Just admit you find things interesting, instead of starting every post with "This is ridiculous.." then proceeding to get involved.

:paulinhofacepalm:

If Tottenham Hotspur was to be relegated would you be happy or sad? part of me says happy, as hopefully that means cheaper ticketing and some different away days, plus a few champions league fans might dissapear plus chance of going to wembley in the play offs, always love a good trip to 'wem-ber- ley' if we go down, but another part of me says it would be bad as we'd just be going backwards

EDIT: Obviously i would never want us to go down, i'm just saying in the event of a suprise relegation would you go into crash position and cry yourself to sleep every night or look with optimism for a bit of change

I understand what you are saying but I think the novelty would soon wear off when it's a cold Tuesday night away against Yeovil Town and we are losing 1-0.

There would be no guarantee we'd bounce straight back up and it would just be a nice little 'gap year' for us. There are some big clubs down there who seemingly look like never coming back or have been gone for so long they have fans who won't even remember what it was like see them in the PL.

2 x European Champions Forest. PL winners Blackburn. Champions League Semi Finalists just over 10 years ago Leeds. Said to be the worlds greatest team in the 1950s Wolves in League 1. UEFA Cup winners Ipswich. But the worst of all is Portsmouth. They are 18th in League 2 when just 5 years ago they won the FA Cup, were regularly competing around the some positions in the league as us (and beating us a fair few times), hosting AC Milan at Fratton Park in Europe and knocking us out of the FA Cup Semi Finals at Wembley only 3 years ago!

I just can't get my head around the fact that that Portsmouth team, who were in the Premier League and who stopped us getting to the cup final in what only seems like yesterday, are facing possible relegation to the conference. It's mind blowing and puts our current crisis into perspective!

I knew a woman who pretended to be a vegan, but ate chilli sauce and bolognese in secret. You remind me of her.

Just admit you find things interesting, instead of starting every post with "This is ridiculous.." then proceeding to get involved.

:paulinhofacepalm:
So you came into the thread and rather than offer an opinion (which I actually did, albeit reluctantly), you just post something completely meaningless and unrelated to the topic at hand?

For the record, I don't find this interesting. I genuinely think the topic of the thread is rather pointless, but that doesn't mean I can't offer an opinion. I've seen plenty of people on here request threads to be closed - I didn't do that.

Just admit you like moaning, instead of moaning but pretending you're not moaning.

For the record, I don't find this interesting. I genuinely think the topic of the thread is rather pointless, but that doesn't mean I can't offer an opinion.

That would explain why you spend so much time stalking me from thread to thread when you clearly think Ive got nothing of interest to say

I think we would do a Leeds. We would be crippled for years.

We would lose virtually all of our squad. The quality simply wouldnt be there. Then we would have to replace them, and we have all seen how that goes. We would also likely be getting a new manager, used to the Championship. The transition between leagues will be painful and we will be the biggest scalp in the division, every game a cup final for someone.

It could be terminal for a while, there is nothing to say we would stabalise quickly.

The most glaring difference is WHEN teams suffer those relegations... nowadays, a PL gets relegated and it's rats deserting a sinking ship (Pascal Chimbonda at Wigan springs to mind, not to mention our own Defoe at West Ham, but that was funny, so I'll let that one slide!)
I reckon had Portsmouth/Leeds/Forest/Blackburn etc been relegated like that 30-odd years ago (and some were) there is no way it would've spelt the mass exodus of todays' 'Glory Hunting' generation...
Look at our squad in the late '70s, there were plenty who hung around after relegation... (16 out of 20 in fact!) it makes very sobering reading!

SPURS SQUAD 1976/77
Gerry Armstrong, Ralph Coates, Alfie Conn, Barry Daines, John Duncan,
John Gorman, Glenn Hoddle,
Pat Jennings, Chris Jones, Glen Keeley, Don McAllister, Neil McNab, Ian Moores, Terry Naylor,
Jimmy Neighbour, Keith Osgood, Steve Perryman, John Pratt, Peter Taylor,
Willie Young

1977/78
Gerry Armstrong
Ralph Coates
Barry Daines
John Duncan
Glenn Hoddle
Jimmy Holmes
Chris Jones
Colin Lee
Don McAllister
Neil McNab
Ian Moores
Terry Naylor
Keith Osgood
Steve Perryman
John Pratt
Martin Robinson
Mickey Stead
Peter Taylor
John Gorman

IF we were ever relegated as a modern club, I reckon only Harry Kane would stick around! (oh, and Dawson, but he'd be ready to step down a level by that point anyway!!) ...on the plus/minus side, we'd probably get our QPR contingent back!!
:carrollwtf::bae::mong::harrysmile:

Last edited:
I think we would do a Leeds. We would be crippled for years.

We would lose virtually all of our squad. The quality simply wouldnt be there. Then we would have to replace them, and we have all seen how that goes. We would also likely be getting a new manager, used to the Championship. The transition between leagues will be painful and we will be the biggest scalp in the division, every game a cup final for someone.

It could be terminal for a while, there is nothing to say we would stabalise quickly.
I doubt it actually. Leeds had massively overspent and gambled on success repaying the money they borrowed. They had no success in real terms and they then had to have a fire sale to pay off the debts. Then they got Bates, who had just had a lucky escape at Chelski, where he had done the same thing to them - but got baled out by Abramovich. Using that money he tried to resurrect Leeds and simply proved to the world that he really was a shite football team chairman/owner.
We are not in a perilous financial situation, and we have strong enough support to fill the stadium to buy the kind of players we would need to get back up. ie after we had flogged off the bankable players who would be too humiliated to face a season in the championship - or had escape clauses.

I know financially we would be fine. My concern is the total over haul/blank page rebuild. that sort of change programme working straight away is a one in a million shot. Usually its a case of getting a lot worse before getting better.

Bare in mind we have a squad full of internationals or wannabe internationals, virtually NONE will hang around for the Championship

That would explain why you spend so much time stalking me from thread to thread when you clearly think Ive got nothing of interest to say
I think you'll find that I commented on the topic at hand, then you commented on me commenting - therefore that makes you the stalker, if anyone.

Also - my reference to 'interesting' was regarding the thread topic, not you.

I think you'll find that I commented on the topic at hand, then you commented on me commenting - therefore that makes you the stalker, if anyone.

Also - my reference to 'interesting' was regarding the thread topic, not you.

You said that he said that I said that you said that......

What?

Back
Top Bottom