How will spurs do when the season returns?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah I think you’re right.

In terms of the actual games, I only watched some of the first round of Bundesliga matches but in each one the teams started the first ten minutes very rusty and they seemed to set the tone of the matches. Knowing our players that’s exactly how they’ll start the first game. Asleep and on the back foot. No matter how much they are prepared tactically, unless Mourinho sorts the mental side out from that first whistle it won’t matter.

In theory playing in an empty stadium should suit our players. They’ve wilted in front of pressure more times than can be counted but in a stadium without fans, playing in games which should seem like practice matches they should do better without that immediate pressure. But who knows.

Despite what I’ve just said I feel quietly confident of getting 4th/5th because Harry and Sonny are back and properly rested. Although that could just be because I haven’t had to watch the games so have some how forgotten how bad we were pre virus!

If Harry and Sonny are both fit, we are absolutely a much better team than when the season was suspended.

When the league resumes I have to believe that we won’t be bad as we were before the lockdown. Surely the coaching staff will have used the time well. Hopefully with Kane and Son fit again the difference will be massive.

I think the low intensity Mourinho style could work well with games being played at an increased frequency, also empty stadiums lend themselves well to that style of play. We could actually have a decent run in, far better than had the season concluded without the pandemic interrupting it.

At the end of the day, the break will have hopefully helped us stop the rot. But will the bad run of dodgy decisions change with officials?

I read a rumour somewhere there'd be no VAR... Anyone seen anything more on that front?

Are they VARing in Germany atm?

I doubt any players will be match fit, and that applies to all teams.

Does this benefit the more organised disciplined teams or favour those who like to hoof it upfield and play more physical?

Better players will have had a rest important ones back from injury and you would hope they have been doing tactical training with Jose still even in isolation.

No reason we cant push for top 4 at all
hopefully if Jose is a real coach/manager, he and the coaches will have worked out a system and feed that to each player via phone & video calls

I doubt any players will be match fit, and that applies to all teams.

Does this benefit the more organised disciplined teams or favour those who like to hoof it upfield and play more physical?
no they won't be match fit but that 's were using (if agreed) the 5 sub's and Jose used to be good at seeing and using the sub's

I'm hopeful of 4th.

Our squad in good health and rest should overhaul Wolves and Sheffield.

I think Leicester is streaky, but the shutdown out the brakes on their momentum and feel good factor. They play United, us, woolwich, and Chavs to close. It's entirely plausible their tough run in and the loss of momentum leads to a collapse and we can make up the gap. But it's certainly a tall order.

Chelsea I don't know that we can catch. They have to play Liverpool and City, though, so it's possible if we close very strong.

United have a pretty straightforward run in, like us. Tough to see where they'll drop points that will also help us. But what fun would it be to get to that final match with 4th on the table between us? Of course, it would be Spursy to arrive in that moment only to capitulate.

6th should be expected, 5th is realistic, 4th will be tough but what a feat it would be.

Maddison's parents live round the corner from me, and he's staying there currently (see his car every day). I could always give him a little injury just before the season starts..?

In all seriousness.. If we qualify for the Europa League I'd be ok with that. JM has a great record in Europe, and winning the Europa is only topped by winning the Champions League or Premier League in domestic competition.

If it's a toss up between the FA Cup or Europa League, I'm picking the Europa all day. We should be able to win both, but considering it's been over a decade since we won a trophy I don't want to be too greedy.

If Harry and Sonny are both fit, we are absolutely a much better team than when the season was suspended.

Yep. I’m just thinking about the mental side of it. For the first couple of games I think the teams who can cope with the empty stadiums will do better. Who knows which ones that will be but with our guys past I’m not convinced we will start games like a house on fire.

I think a couple of our players will benefit by having no fans in the stadium. Sess and Sanchez spring to mind as players who seem under confident and not having a stadium gasp when they have the ball may be a good thing.

I can certainly see Sess doing well if given the chance.

Get into the Europa and I’m happy. Jose would go all out to win it imo and it’s a fucking trophy to end the drought

although no Europe at all means we could do a Leicester with one game a week while everyone else is knackered

but I’d miss the European nights too much

In all seriousness.. If we qualify for the Europa League I'd be ok with that.

I really like the Europa league. Winnable group games that can help you build momentum in a season. Good chance of getting into the business end of the trophy.

Never understood the mentality of sacking it off to try and get 4th. That's the way bean-counters think.

Last edited:
I really like the Europe league. Winnable group games that can help you build momentum in a season. Good chance of getting into the business end of the trophy.

Never understood the mentality of sacking it off to try and get 4th. That's the way bean-counters think.
And has been said in other threads. Our squad as a whole would benefit from it. Youngsters and bench players could get some much needed game time in the group stage.

Poch built his team in the EL. United bedded in a lot of youngsters during their spell in the EL and the scum have done the same for the last couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom