How Does Postecoglou Use Strikers?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the OTHER nagging question is how does THOMAS TUCHEL like to use strikers in his formation...

Here's a few brief words from our friends over at BUNDESLIGA.....

Happy reading folks, see you in October....
:kanehand: :angeshock: :ange-hmm::ange-bored::ange-blow::ange-facepalm2::ange-bored2::ange-lips::levystare:

So that clears that up in a nice, consise, snappy way I think!

Football gone WAY too wordy!

I like my strikers to score goals.
THE END!

IMO he likes a striker who is relatively quick, aggressively presses, runs into space/behind defenders and can one touch finish low crosses.

From a Brisbane Roar/Australia supporter, turned Yokohama F Marinos, Celtic and now Tottenham supporter :)

Last edited:
Then he is an idiot. Even Pep adjusted his team to accommodate Haaland.

No manager is going to leave out a world class forward just because of their "system". You find a way to fit them into your system.
If Kane stays I think it would be an uneasy relationship with Postecoglou. If Kane drifts up field too much Postecoglou wouldn't be happy and if Postecoglou asks Kane to stay buried low in the box to occupy two defenders I don't think he'll be pleased, either. Kane can score headers and do the things Postecoglou would want him to, but he also needs some room to work. If they could manage to work out an understanding and Kane is still a threat while Postecoglou's system can still work that would be great. I guess we'll see if Kane stays, but my guess is Postecoglou and Levy want to start the rebuild without him.

IMO he likes a striker who is relatively quick, aggressively presses, runs into space/behind defenders and can one touch finish low crosses.

From a Brisbane Roar/Australia supporter, turned Yokohama F Marinos, Celtic and now Tottenham supporter :)
The part of Kane's game Postecoglou would probably not like is the idea of Kane getting the ball from a pass and turning to score. There was a joke about Michael Jordan's college coach that said he was a genius because he was the only man who could hold Jordan to less than 20 points a game. I have a feeling Kane's scoring opportunities would be reduced in Postecoglou's system.

If Kane stays, Ange will adapt his system to fit Kane into it. Which should be easy enough, as Kane can play as a 9 or 10.

He's the best player at the club by a million miles, also the best player Ange has had to work with by the same distance. If he stays, he will play.
I agree, Kane is such a good player that Ange (and any decent coach) would find a way to fit him in.

The part of Kane's game Postecoglou would probably not like is the idea of Kane getting the ball from a pass and turning to score. There was a joke about Michael Jordan's college coach that said he was a genius because he was the only man who could hold Jordan to less than 20 points a game. I have a feeling Kane's scoring opportunities would be reduced in Postecoglou's system.
Yeah I agree, it seems a bit complicated. I kind of think Ange wouldn't be too bothered if he left.

In saying that, it would be a shame as at his previous teams he'd always had a leadership player that had some kinda affinity/core values from within the club. Eg. Cahill & Jedinak (Australia), Kida (Yokohama) & McGregor (Celtic).

Tbh I don't know too much about the squad but maybe Son could fill that role if Kane isn't around?

Yeah I agree, it seems a bit complicated. I kind of think Ange wouldn't be too bothered if he left.

In saying that, it would be a shame as at his previous teams he'd always had a leadership player that had some kinda affinity/core values from within the club. Eg. Cahill & Jedinak (Australia), Kida (Yokohama) & McGregor (Celtic).

Tbh I don't know too much about the squad but maybe Son could fill that role if Kane isn't around?
That's a good point. Given that he was hurt all last season I could see Son coming back with a much better year. It would seem natural for Son to become the face of the franchise if Kane leaves and Postecoglou has commented that he knew a lot about Son since he is from the Pacific. You get the feeling there is a degree of respect there that would be a positive thing. In an odd way I could see Postecoglou viewing Kane's dominant role at the franchise as being a little bit of an obstacle as he tries to rebuild the team. If I had to guess, I think Kane would be more interested in staying than Postecoglou would be interested in keeping him.

So....an Ange supporter basically....

To be honest... I hope he doesn't.

It's up to Kane to adapt, surely possibly the best striker in the world can adapt his game?

And I think he could, I think he has the ability too.
Imagine saying "Harry, I know you're the all time scorer in club history and staring down Shearer's record with a bag full of golden boots and all.....but the Greek-Aussie bloke won the Scottish Prem with fucking Celtic!"

How Does Postecoglou Use Strikers?​

Like this maybe?

xxx / xxx / xxx / xxx
Bissouma
J-Maddz
----------- Kane
(Solomon/Gil) Kulu ------------ Veliz (Richy) ------------Son (Solomon/Gil)

:ange-arms:

Last edited:
I'll be watching Son closely in the Shakhtar game.

I'm not sure Ange system suits Son, he's never been a player that feels comfortable in a crowded space. Given how many players we are committing forward he's going to have less space to operate in. Let's see how he adapts.

I'm not sure Ange system suits Son, he's never been a player that feels comfortable in a crowded space. Given how many players we are committing forward he's going to have less space to operate in. Let's see how he adapts.
Yeah when's the last time he's driven to the byline and delivered a cross? Must've been literal years.

Yeah when's the last time he's driven to the byline and delivered a cross? Must've been literal years.
Also his usual tactic of cutting inside to shoot is more difficult as we will be committing 2 no. 8s forward into that space plus 2 inverted full backs in the central region.

Other teams will recognise this and pad out the central areas, it's going to be a minefield in the middle of the park.

He needs to stop trying to beat his man 1v1 in order to come inside on his right.

Get to the line and cross ball into the box or work on the linkup play with Udogie/Maddison to sends you in.

And whatever he does. Do it quick

Back
Top Bottom