How Does Postecoglou Use Strikers?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How are strikers are used in Postecoglou's system as opposed to previous managers. Is the striker less important now that Spurs seem to get more players into the box? Is Kane (or whoever might take his place) going to be less likely to get service in position with room to operate? Is it more about players making runs than getting the ball to a striker? Is Richarlison a better fit for this system? Not asking to make any point, just trying to understand what I was seeing in the two pre season games I've watched.

Hmm. Let me just consult my extensive notes on Celtic...

119d7816b01eb7af03ee0d3ad3266b8ab9e3df43.gif

Annoying title, but they explain Ange's tactics (including the role of the striker) well.

Thanks, this is a great explanation. It was kind of what I was afraid of, but it makes sense. Makes me think also that Levy wants rid of Kane and hired Postecoglou with that in mind. The system, as described, devalues the things Kane does well.

Last edited:
The video explains it very well. I think Ange could play with HK but HK would have to change profoundly to adapt and I doubt he's keen to do that at nearly 30. He's one of the best in the world though so he'd still be handy in front of goal in any system, you'd think.

If Kane stays, Ange will adapt his system to fit Kane into it. Which should be easy enough, as Kane can play as a 9 or 10.

He's the best player at the club by a million miles, also the best player Ange has had to work with by the same distance. If he stays, he will play.

If Kane stays, Ange will adapt his system to fit Kane into it. Which should be easy enough, as Kane can play as a 9 or 10.

He's the best player at the club by a million miles, also the best player Ange has had to work with by the same distance. If he stays, he will play.
To be honest... I hope he doesn't.

It's up to Kane to adapt, surely possibly the best striker in the world can adapt his game?

And I think he could, I think he has the ability too.

The video explains it very well. I think Ange could play with HK but HK would have to change profoundly to adapt and I doubt he's keen to do that at nearly 30. He's one of the best in the world though so he'd still be handy in front of goal in any system, you'd think.

It’s not about who plays where. It’s about getting the best out of the players.

If Richalison can open up the space for Kane like he has for Lo Celso (yes preseason), it’d be fun to see what kind of stats Kane can put up

To be honest... I hope he doesn't.

It's up to Kane to adapt, surely possibly the best striker in the world can adapt his game?

And I think he could, I think he has the ability too.
I don't think Postecoglou will adapt his approach.

great video. Seems like Son would actually fit nicely as the 9 under Ange, making those runs to dangerous spaces and getting behind the defense (assuming he continues to struggle with beating his man on the wings).

Back
Top Bottom