Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He should be a strong contender for POTY, especially if he continues this amazing form, but according to many figures in the media Van Dijk has already won it so don't bother.

He should be a strong contender for POTY, especially if he continues this amazing form, but according to many figures in the media Van Dijk has already won it so don't bother.

The voting takes place around now, ridiculously early, and he wasn't up to speed for the first quarter of the season due to all his commitments so never really a possibility. Much more chance of the football writers award depending on how the rest of the season goes.

Who would be the 3 contenders in your opinion for POTY?
For me Van Dijk and Fernandinho are up there - although those sort of players rarely get the nod so maybe it could be somebody like Sterling who has been brilliant this season. Don't get me wrong Sonny isn't far off and should (and I think probably will) be nominated. But the games he missed for the Asian Games and Asian Cup might cost him a bit, as well as his form at the start of the season not being the best (of course this was mainly due to fatigue).

For me Van Dijk and Fernandinho are up there - although those sort of players rarely get the nod so maybe it could be somebody like Sterling who has been brilliant this season. Don't get me wrong Sonny isn't far off and should (and I think probably will) be nominated. But the games he missed for the Asian Games and Asian Cup might cost him a bit, as well as his form at the start of the season not being the best (of course this was mainly due to fatigue).
seae00.jpg
seae00.jpg

To be honest he doesn't really deserve it either. He should probably win the club's POTY award though, Jan has been great also but I don't think anyone is more deserving than Sonny.

I think Son will absolutely get the clubs POTY - Alderweireld

But in the league, let's be honest there HAVE been plenty better players. For Son to win the Premier League Player of the Year, he'd have to have been top goalscorer from pretty much week one (due to the way the voting works). Assisting goals left right and centre and scoring in all the big league games.

He's 9th in the goalscoring charts and joint 15th in the assist charts.

The media bias towards Liverpool, the continuous pundit and ex-professional praise along with their defensive record pretty much guarantees van Dijk wins it in my view, that rubs off on players votes, see how no one was talking about him when he was at Southampton.

I actually think someone like Bernardo Silva should be in with a shout, but I think a bit like Son, he is a bit underappreciated by the masses when names are mentioned for best players in the league, form players in the league and names in the hat for winning POTY.

He'll probably get in the TOTY though.

But in the league, let's be honest there HAVE been plenty better players. For Son to win the Premier League Player of the Year, he'd have to have been top goalscorer from pretty much week one (due to the way the voting works). Assisting goals left right and centre and scoring in all the big league games.

The media bias towards Liverpool, the continuous pundit and ex-professional praise along with their defensive record pretty much guarantees van Dijk wins it in my view, that rubs off on players votes, see how no one was talking about him when he was at Southampton.

I actually think someone like Bernardo Silva should be in with a shout, but I think a bit like Son, he is a bit underappreciated by the masses when names are mentioned for best players in the league, form players in the league and names in the hat for winning POTY.

Bernardo Silva is a good shout as well actually, become so important to them. Guardiola loves him.

Bernardo Silva is a good shout as well actually, become so important to them. Guardiola loves him.

I was just thinking when watching City the other week that he would have been the perfect Eriksen replacement. Works JUST as hard (record for most distance covered in the Premier League this season and in top 10 since records began) and is a creative player too.

Just a shame we go to France to sign Nkoudou's and Njie's and not Bernardo Silvas.

I was just thinking when watching City the other week that he would have been the perfect Eriksen replacement. Works JUST as hard (record for most distance covered in the Premier League this season and in top 10 since records began) and is a creative player too.

Just a shame we go to France to sign Nkoudou's and Njie's and not Bernardo Silvas.

Mate, can i ask where you get reliable stats for ground covered in a game / season ?

Mate, can i ask where you get reliable stats for ground covered in a game / season ?

Usually Opta.

Here's a list of most distance covered since 14/15.

DwEL4wfXQAA6XXq.jpg

Bernardo Silva also ran 13.65km against us at Wembley this season. Eriksen runs on average just over 12km a game for us in the Premier League which is usually the most on our team. Dele usually always runs him close too.

Usually Opta.

DwEL4wfXQAA6XXq.jpg

Bernardo Silva also ran 13.65km against us at Wembley this season. Eriksen runs on average just over 12km a game for us in the Premier League which is usually the most on our team. Dele usually always runs him close too.
Dan Gosling runs A LOT!

C9rpTWkXYAAzs7s.jpg

Usually Opta.

DwEL4wfXQAA6XXq.jpg

Many thx champ.

To be honest he doesn't really deserve it either. He should probably win the club's POTY award though, Jan has been great also but I don't think anyone is more deserving than Sonny.
It'll go to Son.

But I would give it to Winks. Sissoko 2nd.

What they did over Xmas, and all season really, has been truly special.

Without them, we'd be nowhere.

Not saying that Sonny is player of the season, but the bolded does not take into account Son has played in 2 international tournaments DURING the season, and has been going pretty much non-stop since the start of last season (for about 1 1/2 years). Then on top of that you have to consider the performances and how the players affect the play rather than just stats.

Kane for example is scoring less goals than Son is when you look at a per minute basis.. and that's before you even take into account Kane has scored 3 penalties. Also how easy were those goals etc... Sterling's goals for example are generally a lot easier to score than Son's. Just go through and watch them and you will see a big difference.

Not saying that Sonny is player of the season, but the bolded does not take into account Son has played in 2 international tournaments DURING the season, and has been going pretty much non-stop since the start of last season (for about 1 1/2 years). Then on top of that you have to consider the performances and how the players affect the play rather than just stats.

Kane for example is scoring less goals than Son is when you look at a per minute basis.. and that's before you even take into account Kane has scored 3 penalties. Also how easy were those goals etc... Sterling's goals for example are generally a lot easier to score than Son's. Just go through and watch them and you will see a big difference.

It also doesn't take into account that he couldn't get a single Premier League goal before November, when he had played numerous times for us.

He's only missed 4 Premier League games this season which is the same amount of games Aguero and Kane have missed, 1 less game than Sterling has missed, 1 less than Pogba has missed, 2 less games than Mane has missed and 3 less games than Hazard has missed.

A goal is a goal at the end of the day. Shouldn't matter if it's from outside the box or a tap-in.

Back
Top Bottom