Have we signed Krzysztof Piatek?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Janssen dough?

Its £30,000,000 on a striker who will ultimately sit behind Kane. That's not Janssen money, that's our joint 3rd highest signing ever.

Plus, Poch personally scouted Janssen and signed off on that deal. So we can't really blame Levy for making the signing.

we live in a world where Wan Bissaka went for £50m, I don't like it and I think it's crazy but £30m for a striker is the bargain bucket at Blockbuster video.

it's a punt

we live in a world where Wan Bissaka went for £50m, I don't like it and I think it's crazy but £30m for a striker is the bargain bucket at Blockbuster video.

it's a punt

AWB is one of the best right backs in the Premier League and starts every single league game.

What team in the league have a £30,000,000 back up striker?

Even if we do sign Piatek don't expect him to fill Kane's shoes, this will be a signing for the future who 'might' play a role this season, to put that level of expectation on a 24 year old is plain crazy.
24 is not young, that's the beginning of players prime years. If he can't shoulder the responsibility of leading a line by now it's unlikely to happen.

Edit: This is why I should catch up before posting since Cranston Cranston basically said the same thing.

I’m equally excited as when we was linked to big fat vinny and that didn’t turn out to badly either did it :levyeyes:
In all seriousness if he signs let’s just try and get behind him and not write him off before he has had a chance to adjust to the league
Kick the ball in the net what's to adjust to.
:walker-scream::walker-scream:

Its no more a punt than signing any striker out there.

That's simply not true, You can buy proven quality if you are willing to pay for it. Maybe Spurs can't afford that, but that's a separate argument.

AWB is one of the best right backs in the Premier League and starts every single league game.

What team in the league have a £30,000,000 back up striker?

You are missing my point, I'm not saying AWB is a poor player, I actually rate him highly. The point is if a quality right back costs £50m its "unlikely" that you can get a top drawer striker for £30m.

You have to question why nobody else seems to be interested, I heard but I can't confirm that they tried to offload him to Villa and were turned down? but I probably saw that on here.

As a club we take too many of these kind of punts and its backfired with Soldado, Janssen.

For me you either spend the extra on proven quality or don't bother.

- don't make signings: "no ambition, this clubs a joke"

- linked with signing a striker: "nah, don't want him"

:mourloopy:

Strawman argument.

I'm saying buy 1-2 quality players with all the dough rather than 4-5.

And if those 1-2 quality players aren't currently available then save our cash for when they become available.

quality > quantity

Football is simple, though. If Piatek were a world beater then Milan wouldn't be replacing him with a geriatric Zlatan.

He seems like he could be a decent player and hopefully he can score goals if he joins us. I'm not expecting anything amazing because amazing players rarely move in January.
To state the obvious Chelsea replaced Salah and De Bruyne with which turned out to be inferior players. Football is not as simple as some think.

Or they signed him and realised perhaps he doesn't quite fit into their style of play? Maybe he's not happy there and wants to leave?

Plenty of amazing players have moved in January and when a player who can score 22 goals in one of the top 4 leagues is available to sign a few days after losing our striker for the season, you take it.

Only 3 players scored more goals across Europes top leagues last season and he scored more than Ronaldo, Mertens, Belotti, Immobile, Benzema, Suarez, Griezmann, Kane, Aguero, Vardy, Jovic, Alcacer, Werner.

And the same amount as Lewandowski, Aubamayang, Salah and Mane

He's more than good enough.

I’m not against signing him, not at all. I will just keep my expectations low. We haven’t signed a good striker for at least a decade.

I think Janssen, Soldado and Llorente combined probably didn’t score more than 5 goals from open play in the PL. If Piatek can score 8-10 in the second half of the season I will be very happy.

Am I actually seeing people moan at the thought of a £30m back up striker?! We've needed a back up for years, why is it a problem? £30m now is what £10m was 3-4 years a go.

Strawman argument.

I'm saying buy 1-2 quality players with all the dough rather than 4-5.

And if those 1-2 quality players aren't currently available then save our cash for when they become available.

quality > quantity
You can get one and he might turn out as an absolute flop, and you can get 4 with one that turns world class. You never know.

Back
Top Bottom