Has the squad improved since last season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has the squad improved since last season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes.

We have improved our defence. Got rid of most players who were never going to play and added nothing to the side. Promoted players who are hungry and want to succeed. Dier has shown already in four games that he offers a lot more in a defensive position than Capoue did, I'm not going to add Stambouli as I don't feel he was even given a proper run of games to even be considered. Got some exciting quick young players in the team like Son and Njie who provide something we lacked last season too.

We have a great base to build on and if we have a spine that consists of Lloris, Alderweireld, Dier and Kane, I'm a lot happier.

Two-Teams, our priority signings this window were a defensive midfielder and a striker. You said that yourself? We've signed neither and we've had a good window?
You're like a really, really shit Alistair Campbell.

Two-Teams, our priority signings this window were a defensive midfielder and a striker. You said that yourself? We've signed neither and we've had a good window?
You're like a really, really shit Alistair Campbell.

Even Paul Merson thinks we had a decent window, and he is a massive cunt.

We did not cover the two basic areas that we so glaringly obvious, but to say we had bad window - as your post and mood suggests - when we have added strength to our defence, pace to our forward line and kept our best players is incredibly narrow-minded, especially when we rid ourselves for our shit too, for the same money we outlaid to boot.

We don't know how this season will play out, none of us are psychic and we haven't even seen four of our new signings in action yet. We did quite well last season, relying on a Bentaleb/Mason axis in our midfield. We seemingly add better players and now we are going to shit?

You are alluding that we had a poor window. You may not specifically have said "we are going to shit" but given many people's reactions you'd think we were.

No mate.
At the start of the window I thought every man and his dog agreed we needed to improve two vital areas of the match day squad - a defensive midfielder and another striker.
We bought neither. But I'm hoping what we did buy will improve other parts.
Call me a cynic but one thing is for sure. Sales of shirts in East Asia are going to go through the roof.

No mate.
At the start of the window I thought every man and his dog agreed we needed to improve two vital areas of the match day squad - a defensive midfielder and another striker.
We bought neither. But I'm hoping what we did buy will improve other parts.
Call me a cynic but one thing is for sure. Sales of shirts in East Asia are going to go through the roof.

There's no denying that. There's a Korean tour for sure next summer. Probably three days before the season starts.

Really can't understand 1/3 of this forum. For me it is quite obvious.
Goalkeepers - no change
CBs - Massive improvement
Full backs - Improvement
Wingers - Pritchard & Njie vs Lennon who never played. Massive improvement
Central midfield - Paulinho, Capoue & Stambouli vs Alli, Carroll and Dier freed-up to play DM. Its a close one but I would still take the later.
Forwards - Soldado vs Son. Yes, I know Son may not be suited to playing upfront alone in the BPL But we know for certain Soldado wasn't.
Improvement in every area for me, both in the squad and the first team.

When I look at the list of players that left, I can honestly state that I won't miss any of them. So although I'm disappointed that we didn't sign anybody further, still think we are in a better position than last year. There may be less players in the squad, but I believe in quality over quantity.

Goalkeepers - no change
Full backs - Improvement
Central midfield - Paulinho, Capoue, Stambouli vs Alli, Carroll and Dier freed-up to play DM. Its a close one but I would still take the later.
Forwards - Soldado vs Son. Yes, I know Son may not be suited to playing upfront alone in the BPL But we know for certain Soldado wasn't.
Fair enough, I hope you're right, but when none of us have seen 4 out of the 5 'ins' you mentioned earlier actually play for us, it's just conjecture. I've seen Toby and Delle Alli and they look good. The rest, I hope, follow.

Remains to be seen whether the new players will add anything significant, or if any of our existing players progress or regress significantly. Kane ain't scoring 31 again, we can start there.

But it is a thinner squad, and the Top 5 have all improved markedly save Chelsea who nonetheless remain in another stratosphere, so barring the unforeseen our chances for a trophy and/or a Champions League place have declined considerably from this point last season.

The hope for this season is that 6-7 real stars (including the ones we already know about, Kane, Eriksen, Lloris) reveal themselves and all commit their futures to the club with new contracts and we're able to ward off outside interest. And that Daniel Levy doesn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed one morning and blow the whole thing up for the 95th time. Then perhaps we're building towards somewhere, and will have the funds to supplement that base.

(Did I say funds? :levylol:)

Goalkeepers - no change
Full backs - Improvement
Central midfield - Paulinho, Capoue & Stambouli vs Alli, Carroll and Dier freed-up to play DM. Its a close one but I would still take the later.

Firstly I disagree with some conclusions as to whether different positions are strengthened or not.

Secondly, the whole premise of your post is wrong.

Being satisfied after the window with little/no change would presuppose that our squad was satisfyingly strong before the window. It was not, and the window is the only possibility to change that, which hasn't been done to a satisfying level.

Firstly I disagree with some conclusions as to whether different positions are strengthened or not.

Secondly, the whole premise of your post is wrong.

Being satisfied after the window with little/no change would presuppose that our squad was satisfyingly strong before the window. It was not, and the window is the only possibility to change that, which hasn't been done to a satisfying level.
No, the premise of the post is whether the squad has improved or not. You may wish to debate other issue, but that does not make the premise of the thread wrong

Also, these players lack of future value or ill-suitedness for Poch's system don't mean they aren't good players, especially at present.

Paulinho, Roberto Soldado, and Aaron Lennon are probably as a whole, at this moment, better footballers than Dele Alli, Clinton N'Jie, and Son Heung-Min at this moment as a whole. The price difference reflects the future value, not the current.

Had a lot of arguments with you before but Danoir Danoir you are a competent cunt with good back up. Hard to disagree with you recent posts much as I may try.

I used to think you, sammy , ArcspacE ArcspacE etc hurt the forum when I first began by being so in your face. Now I think you and the others at least question why I think the way I think, keep it up you barstards. This is a serious post by the way. over at SC people are finally waking up to the fact the mods are cunts and the ITK is shit. It's like North Korea over there, never question Levy, the club, the board etc. It's amazing, go over there they are finally disagreeing.

Spurs feels like pre- revolutionary Russia as the peasants question what they are told.

Back
Top Bottom