Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wouldn't bother responding to JT he lives to slag of anything Spurs - when we win he's absent but when we lose and there's a chance to throw hate, JT's your man, it's living in a basement and having no life ... all a bit sad when all you have is hate.

Winks is a decent player, pit a quality DM alongside him and he will be very good, won't that piss JT off

We have plenty of played good enough to be a part of a 25 man Tottenham squad. Winksy is definitely one of them but the kid needs an extra body either alongside him or competing with him for a starting position. Hard to have a go at the player when it's the lack of depth around him that's the issue.

Everybody appreciates our team is crap. But winks also offers nothing. He is part of the reason we are crap. I mean captain ffs.
Overreaction - we're not crap or we'd be bottom three ... we're just lacking a DM. The defence is overexposed time after time, people can wank off about another striker but keep conceding three goals a game and it won't matter.

The number one priority is a 100m DM ... has been since Wanyama lost his mojo ... blaming that on Winks is like blaming Dele for not scoring 30 goals a season ...

Overreaction - we're not crap or we'd be bottom three ... we're just lacking a DM. The defence is overexposed time after time, people can wank off about another striker but keep conceding three goals a game and it won't matter.

The number one priority is a 100m DM ... has been since Wanyama lost his mojo ... blaming that on Winks is like blaming Dele for not scoring 30 goals a season ...

We have the framework to do fine, what we need now are game changers.

A finely tuned scouting of the ones worth lumping money on. We showed that we are willing and ready to do so with a potential £62m on Ndombele and £40m+ on Lo Celso. If we can make two signings this summer of similar fees and values, hoping that they will be worth every penny (every transfer is a risk) then I think we'll be in decent shape. Not great but manageable and people need to appreciate that up to £100m+ on two players isn't something a fanbase can expect from its team every window. It's a key window we face, let's hope that Mourinho still has a magic pull for a few players here and there, that there's life in the fella yet to woo one or two.

We are crap. That is the reality of injuries to son sissoko lloris and kane. Had they injured all season we probably would be in the bottom 3.

Nobody is blaming the lack of dm on winks. Winks, in his own right as a footballer. Is a bit crap.

We have the framework to do fine, what we need now are game changers.

A finely tuned scouting of the ones worth lumping money on. We showed that we are willing and ready to do so with a potential £62m on Ndombele and £40m+ on Lo Celso. If we can make two signings this summer of similar fees and values, hoping that they will be worth every penny (every transfer is a risk) then I think we'll be in decent shape. Not great but manageable and people need to appreciate that up to £100m+ on two players isn't something a fanbase can expect from its team every window. It's a key window we face, let's hope that Mourinho still has a magic pull for a few players here and there, that there's life in the fella yet to woo one or two.

All of this was said last year and the year before. But you are not wrong and i remain hopeful.

We are crap. That is the reality of injuries to son sissoko lloris and kane. Had they injured all season we probably would be in the bottom 3.

Nobody is blaming the lack of dm on winks. Winks, in his own right as a footballer. Is a bit crap.

Winksy is fine playing 2nd fiddle to a juggernaut DM, starting 10-20 reasonable games a season where resting the big boy that doesn't currently exist amongst us isn't damaging to our points tally.

I like Winks but I feel you rely on him week in, week out you'll become a 6th-7th place team. As a squad player he's top 4 material, as a lynchpin he will see us slip away from being able to punch where we have been. No disrespect to Winksy, I like him and he would 100% be in my 25 man squad but at the moment we lack a real spine look to our team and it needs investment and tweaking.

For the standards I want to see for a Spurs team, Lloris, Alderweireld, Aurier, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Son, Kane are the ones I see making the grade as starters (I'm still on the fence about Aurier & Sanchez as week in, week out players but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as things stand). There's 13-14 others that are fine tombolster the ranks, I put Winksy in that category if we want to challenge for top things but only as someone playing their part in a 25 man squad.

My aim for the rest of the season.... to see if one of those 25 man squad fillers can turn my week in, week out 7 into an 8 (Ndombele, I'm looking at you)

Winksy is fine playing 2nd fiddle to a juggernaut DM, starting 10-20 reasonable games a season where resting the big boy that doesn't currently exist amongst us isn't damaging to our points tally.

I like Winks but I feel you rely on him week in, week out you'll become a 6th-7th place team. As a squad player he's top 4 material, as a lynchpin he will see us slip away from being able to punch where we have been. No disrespect to Winksy, I like him and he would 100% be in my 25 man squad but at the moment we lack a real spine look to our team and it needs investment and tweaking.

For the standards I want to see for a Spurs team, Lloris, Alderweireld, Aurier, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Son, Kane are the ones I see making the grade as starters (I'm still on the fence about Aurier & Sanchez as week in, week out players but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as things stand). There's 13-14 others that are fine tombolster the ranks, I put Winksy in that category if we want to challenge for top things but only as someone playing their part in a 25 man squad.

My aim for the rest of the season.... to see if one of those 25 man squad fillers can turn my week in, week out 7 into an 8 (Ndombele, I'm looking at you)

Great post that does a nice job of characterizing our squad this season.

I would love this starting 11:
-----Lloris

???-????-????-???

-----strong destroyer ala prime Sandro
Ndombele (fit + cares to run 90) - Lo Celso

Berjwin ------------ Kane ------------------Son

Fix the defence and that's a title contending starting 11.

Of our current bench, players who would cut it as bench players for rotation/supersubs(not to be relied on as starting 11)

Dele (may be better to sell and reinvest though)
Lamela (super sub)
Winks
Sissoko
Moura (super sub)
Gedson
Back up striker for fucks sake???
Sessegnon (give him some time)
Davies
Aurier
Dav
Tanganga (not ready for a title contender starting 11, but may be there for a CL spot contender by next season)
Alderweirald
Need backup keeper. Our current is a third stringer on a title contender.

Yes, we have our work cut out for us, and itll take some money and balls in the transfer market. It'll also take time. But we're definitely not starting from scratch. Injuries have absolutely killed us.

Is Ndombele really on a 7 for you?

Is Ndombele really on a 7 for you?

I mentioned 7 players who I think as it stands are good enough for where I'd like to see the team mate. I said that by the end of the season I hope that number turns into an 8 with Ndombele stepping up and proving his worth. I have this gut feeling that he'll only be able to hack it physically as a rotating type player though I don't see many signs that reassure me as it is at the moment.

Its been a weird experiment but I think finally Winks needs to be a bench player or less. Even Skipp and Gedson looked better than him.
Agreed but even as a bench player he doesn't come on and give us aggression like Lamela or Fernandes.

He just sort of exists reminds me of Carroll, Bostock and a long list of other 'prospects'.

Currently making Vinny Sideways look like Pirlo.

He looked good when he did simple things in a great team. Now he can’t seem to do the simple things.

I don’t really know what he offers these days. He was certainly a tidy player when he first started playing, and a step up from Carroll, Mason, and Livermore, but now it’s hard to say he’s any different to players of that ilk. He can last 90 minutes and occasionally string some passes together. So can most CMs in League 1.

He doesn’t create, he doesn’t score, he doesn’t tackle, he doesn’t move well, and now he doesn’t even keep possession. He used to be a much more positive player, always looking to make a forward pass.

Never really looked the same after the freak injury.

So what exactly does Winks do again?
I think this is the problem. He is asked to do various tasks and he does them, hence he is rewarded with the armband. I think he has the ability to become either a great DM. He can carry the ball and against city he filled the gaps. I'm not sure what some fans want. He reminds me of Perryman and he made 400+ apps.

Back
Top Bottom