Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've always found it odd that pundits equate personal success to team trophies. No matter how good you are you can't carry a team alone to titles (see Suarez at Liverpool, Bale at Spurs etc.).

Surely the proof of Kane's ability is coming 2nd, 1st, 1st in the scorers charts in a team that isn't winning anything? If you stuck him in a Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Chelsea side and he won the league like that, does that make him a better player, or his achievements mean more? I think if anything it would mean a lot less.

Moreover, if we'd beaten Chelsea in the semi then say Kane got injured and missed the final, but we won it anyway... does that shoot Kane up to World Class because he's won a trophy? Without actually playing any extra game? He scored in that semi, it was the conceded goals that let us down. So no real improvement from him needed, but a trophy to the name... it just doesn't make any sense.

harrykane-cropped_212o0gbycgv41co75oejys6q0.jpg

Highest ever goals to game ratio for a Premier League Golden Boot winner.
Also won with equal fewest games played. Owen won it from 30 games in 98-99 but only scored 18 goals.

Absolutely incredible season for Harry.

The 0.97 goals per game would come to 36/37 goals had he been fit (and selected) for every league game of the season! Highest ever goals total in the Prem is Andy Cole and Shearer who both got 34 but they were from 40 and 42 games respectively.

I've always found it odd that pundits equate personal success to team trophies. No matter how good you are you can't carry a team alone to titles (see Suarez at Liverpool, Bale at Spurs etc.).

Surely the proof of Kane's ability is coming 2nd, 1st, 1st in the scorers charts in a team that isn't winning anything? If you stuck him in a Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Chelsea side and he won the league like that, does that make him a better player, or his achievements mean more? I think if anything it would mean a lot less.

Moreover, if we'd beaten Chelsea in the semi then say Kane got injured and missed the final, but we won it anyway... does that shoot Kane up to World Class because he's won a trophy? Without actually playing any extra game? He scored in that semi, it was the conceded goals that let us down. So no real improvement from him needed, but a trophy to the name... it just doesn't make any sense.

It's bullshit, the same idiot pundits would claim that Messi cant be considered the greatest of all time because he's not won the World Cup.

:pochrolleyes:

On the other hand, they seem to be full of plaudits for a player like Pickford, who has been the shining light in a god awful "turd that finally flushed" Sunderland team.

Im honestly starting to think that no new opinions have been conceived in the mainstream sports media since 1993. They all just keep recycling the same played out cliches ad nauseam.

Last edited:
It's bullshit, the same idiot pundits would claim that Messi cant be considered the greatest of all time because he's not won the World Cup.

:pochrolleyes:

On the other hand, they seem to be full of plaudits for a player like Pickford, who has been the shining light in a god awful "turd that finally flushed" Sunderland team.

Im honestly starting to think that no new opinions have been conceived in the mainstream sports media since 1993. They all just keep recycling the same played out cliches ad nauseam.

Has it taken you 24 years to come to that realisation?

Weirdly, despite Kane being too shit for Leicester and being roundly abused by the no-marks ever since he left and on any subsequent return to the Kung Po, on Foxes Talk they have now decided he is too big for Spurs.

Odd.

Does anyone know what his wages are at right now? I wouldn't think Harry would leave us but I am sure he will garner attention from a host of top clubs and they would offer him silly wages. This is one instance where Levy will have to break the wage structure to keep him happy.

Does anyone know what his wages are at right now? I wouldn't think Harry would leave us but I am sure he will garner attention from a host of top clubs and they would offer him silly wages. This is one instance where Levy will have to break the wage structure to keep him happy.

He plays for the love of the club. Money is irrelevant.

I think.

If he does it for one,the rest will be beating a path to his door.
I personally feel that maybe we have to review our wage structure, but it has to be done fairly.
Maybe give them ridiculous score/clean sheet/win bonuses ?

If he does it for one,the rest will be beating a path to his door.
I personally feel that maybe we have to review our wage structure, but it has to be done fairly.
Maybe give them ridiculous score/clean sheet/win bonuses ?

I understand that sentiment but we have to be realistic. Kane is one of the best strikers in world football, I know he's a yid and all but eventually he is going to want to be paid as such.

If another player comes in and demands Kane type money than we have to decide if they are worth it, or show them the door but losing Kane we just cannot do with.

Besides with the added capacity we will have at Wembley/new stadium pus NFL money I see no reason we can't afford to raise player wages for those that warrant them. There is no reason we can't at least pay similar wages to say Woolwich and Liverpool.

Last edited:
I think in an instance like this nobody in the club would complain with him being the top earner, he has come through the ranks and that loyalty deserves recognition. Sends the right message to youngsters and those who might be asked to go out on loan. A shinning example for everyone at the club. I don't expect him to be banging on Levy's door anytime soon, they will know the vultures are circling and like they've shown in the last two seasons will reward him with something.

Having a young settled family that you can enjoy, with a support network of friends and family on your doorstep playing for your childhood club, marrying your childhood sweetheart, it's things dreams are made of and he has his head switched on. Why upset that?

Harry Enjoy a well earned break with your family, thanks for giving us a little bit of glitz at the end of a cracking season.

Levy, Poch et al, keep this lad happy and keep up the good work

I think in an instance like this nobody in the club would complain with him being the top earner, he has come through the ranks and that loyalty deserves recognition. Sends the right message to youngsters and those who might be asked to go out on loan. A shinning example for everyone at the club. I don't expect him to be banging on Levy's door anytime soon, they will know the vultures are circling and like they've shown in the last two seasons will reward him with something.

Having a young settled family that you can enjoy, with a support network of friends and family on your doorstep playing for your childhood club, marrying your childhood sweetheart, it's things dreams are made of and he has his head switched on. Why upset that?

Harry Enjoy a well earned break with your family, thanks for giving us a little bit of glitz at the end of a cracking season.

Levy, Poch et al, keep this lad happy and keep up the good work

Realistically there are 5 clubs in the league that could pay stupid wages. In reality I cannot see Kane wanting to join any of those. He seems like a down to earth kid and he's playing for his boyhood club. Levy should reward him for being the main man and also reward the others who have pushed us on. I think the wage structure could be reviewed what with the new TV and CL we should now be getting.

Back
Top Bottom