Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh well...so a top quality gk that we couldn't be bothered to pay for or even sort out some kind of deal for. Who has prem experience and is classified as homegrown....ends up as Woolwich's no 2 keeper..
PATHETIC AS USUAL FROM THIS OWNERSHIP

Oh well...so a top quality gk that we couldn't be bothered to pay for or even sort out some kind of deal for. Who has prem experience and is classified as homegrown....ends up as Woolwich's no 2 keeper..
PATHETIC AS USUAL FROM THIS OWNERSHIP
You would want Arsenals number 2 as our first choice?

That’s an interesting perspective

If I had it I most certainly would.. so how do Woolwich manage then ??
They don't gave billionaires throwing money around, they just use good scouting and invest properly
Fuck me, are we really pretending Woolwich are a Brighton/Brentford-esque club now? Kroenke is worth about 10x what Joe Lewis is, if Boehly hadn't bought Chelsea and made it his mission to sign every young talented player in the world they would have the highest net spend in the league over the last 5 years. They have received massive investment in first XI players, £50m Ben White, £70m Haavertz, £105m Rice, £30m on Ramsdale which means even if they do sign Raya on a perm, one of their BACKUP KEEPERS cost £30m, they've signed Timber for £45m for squad depth, Partey was £45m, they've pumped plenty of money on the current iteration of their side. Remains to be seen just how good their scouting is, as mentioned they've already brought Raya to replace a keeper they signed for big money only a year ago, Ben White is not a £50m defender English tax or not, Pepe was a disaster and Haavertz is a huge waste of £70m IMO, clearly not cut out for the PL. I think we all know Rice is not worth £105m but given the dearth of good CDMs in the market and considering Caicedo went for even more it doesn't look that ridiculous tbh, will be good for them but not an earth shatteringly good player who will level them up all that much from having Xhaka in there as a 6 tbh.

Spurs fans writing this guy off is the most Spurs thing I've ever seen. They wanted Raya but at £40m he was overpriced so we went for a cheaper alternative who is now shit because of one game and now that Raya is £30m to the goons we've missed out on a world class keeper and it's all Levy's fault. People are so caught up in their agenda against Levy they want this keeper to fail so they can call him out for buying the 'cheaper option'.

Exactly!

Great post.

Spurs fans writing this guy off is the most Spurs thing I've ever seen. They wanted Raya but at £40m he was overpriced so we went for a cheaper alternative who is now shit because of one game and now that Raya is £30m to the goons we've missed out on a world class keeper and it's all Levy's fault. People are so caught up in their agenda against Levy they want this keeper to fail so they can call him out for buying the 'cheaper option'.

Yup predictable as hell.

My assessment of the Raya situation is that we lost out because we needed a keeper too much. Could you imagine the shit storm on here if we hadn't signed another goalkeeper by now?

Woolwich already had a solid number one. They were in a position where they could afford to wait until the end of the window which is why they got the deal.

Vicario is the player we signed and the reports from Romano and Gold both indicated that he was a quality goalkeeper. Ange is also happy with Vicario. Let's get behind him.

You would want Arsenals number 2 as our first choice?

That’s an interesting perspective
Yes..reya is better than vicario right now and has prem experience...
There is nobody who thinks vicario is better right now, because he isn't and all the stats show that too..you just don't want to admit it, and think because we signed Vicario ge must be better

Fuck me, are we really pretending Woolwich are a Brighton/Brentford-esque club now? Kroenke is worth about 10x what Joe Lewis is, if Boehly hadn't bought Chelsea and made it his mission to sign every young talented player in the world they would have the highest net spend in the league over the last 5 years. They have received massive investment in first XI players, £50m Ben White, £70m Haavertz, £105m Rice, £30m on Ramsdale which means even if they do sign Raya on a perm, one of their BACKUP KEEPERS cost £30m, they've signed Timber for £45m for squad depth, Partey was £45m, they've pumped plenty of money on the current iteration of their side. Remains to be seen just how good their scouting is, as mentioned they've already brought Raya to replace a keeper they signed for big money only a year ago, Ben White is not a £50m defender English tax or not, Pepe was a disaster and Haavertz is a huge waste of £70m IMO, clearly not cut out for the PL. I think we all know Rice is not worth £105m but given the dearth of good CDMs in the market and considering Caicedo went for even more it doesn't look that ridiculous tbh, will be good for them but not an earth shatteringly good player who will level them up all that much from having Xhaka in there as a 6 tbh.
So what if there owner is richer than ours.. .. he's not using his own money to finance this rebuild

Ironic that Woolwich have signed Raya on a season long loan with an option to buy. What does Levy do, allocate a maximum fee for a position needed to be filled say £18m max for a keeper.
They're pretty much signing him for 30m.. Raya extending his contract and loan fee is just ffp posturing

I bet most of them arent Spurs fans.

There's not really a firm position to take on this guy yet, anybody who has one is talking out of their arse. Thought 80% of his performance vs Brentford was quite solid and he looks to have the basic qualities in possession to do what you want of a modern gk, without having much in the way of high level Onana, Ederson ball skills.

Also had two worrying moments, should have gifted Brentford a penalty second half but the rules of the sport are odd.. looked very uncertain under a looping ball second half. Personally, I'm a touch worried about him, but it's natural to be worried about a new gk when you've not watched them play week-to-week. Hopefully he's good and ends up a great signing. He will make mistakes, all gk's make mistakes.

There's not really a firm position to take on this guy yet, anybody who has one is talking out of their arse. Thought 80% of his performance vs Brentford was quite solid and he looks to have the basic qualities in possession to do what you want of a modern gk, without having much in the way of high level Onana, Ederson ball skills.

Also had two worrying moments, should have gifted Brentford a penalty second half but the rules of the sport are odd.. looked very uncertain under a looping ball second half. Personally, I'm a touch worried about him, but it's natural to be worried about a new gk when you've not watched them play week-to-week. Hopefully he's good and ends up a great signing. He will make mistakes, all gk's make mistakes.
Good post, and like you I really hope he turns out brilliant and we pulled off a masterstroke grabbing him for cheap...but due to the performances of this ownership over many years that would be more off a one off, as they don't tend to get many signings right....

Decent, balanced perspective.

Personally, I'm going with he's better than Onana and Allison already and will be seen as the best shot stopper in the prem by xmas.

For all the abuse he seems to be getting. That isn’t a bad performance given it’s his premier league debut! Couple of decent stops, looks comfortable enough to take a few touches to pull their strikers away from our defenders. The accuracy of the long kicks needs work but that will come with time and once he knows our patterns and strikers.
People are getting their knickers in a twist and are acting as if Raya is the second coming. He is 28 and only played a couple of seasons in the premier league with a team who have zero expectations. Let’s see how he copes with the pressure of a top4 side

For all the abuse he seems to be getting. That isn’t a bad performance given it’s his premier league debut! Couple of decent stops, looks comfortable enough to take a few touches to pull their strikers away from our defenders. The accuracy of the long kicks needs work but that will come with time and once he knows our patterns and strikers.
People are getting their knickers in a twist and are acting as if Raya is the second coming. He is 28 and only played a couple of seasons in the premier league with a team who have zero expectations. Let’s see how he copes with the pressure of a top4 side
Not a bad performance at all. That cross he pushed back was actually good play. It would have been difficult to catch unless you were counting on him not to cover his post at the moment of the cross (which would have been a mistake in case of a shot), and had he not pushed it back it would have been a serious goal chance for the forward in the middle.
I feel if prime Buffon had been the keeper there, some fans would have still been awfully critical

One thing I’ll say to this argument, De Gea was 19/20 when he arrived at United.

Vicario is 27 years old. He should be in his prime as a footballer. Is he really going to change his game that much at this stage in his career or improve to a level required? I really don’t think so.

The way some posters are speaking about him you would think we’ve signed some young up and coming kid, which would obviously completely change the argument, but we haven’t.
YOU WATCHED ONE FUCKING GAME YOU TWAT

Back
Top Bottom