Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry, but the idea that you need to 'give him a season' is not realistic. I'm all for giving him a chance, but if your keeper isn't performing then that impacts the confidence of your defence, which then impacts your ability to get forward and support attacks etc etc.

I reckon 10-15 games is more than sufficient to know whether he'll cut it in the Prem. If he's still looking jittery in the run up to Xmas then it's fair to look for a more experienced option.

Sorry, but the idea that you need to 'give him a season' is not realistic. I'm all for giving him a chance, but if your keeper isn't performing then that impacts the confidence of your defence, which then impacts your ability to get forward and support attacks etc etc.

I reckon 10-15 games is more than sufficient to know whether he'll cut it in the Prem. If he's still looking jittery in the run up to Xmas then it's fair to look for a more experienced option.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

It’s not Vicario that is on borrowed time, it’s any of you lot acting like muppets and overreacting to any perceived mistake.

You have 3 games MAX, imo before he proves you very wrong and your opinions in future are completely recked, because receipts will be kept.

Of course, you could all back out of your nonsense quietly now, and nobody will say a word.

Sir flaps a lot is possibly the worst professional goal keeper I've ever seen.

I feel for him because I'm human. I can see the fear in his eyes.

But I'm also a spurs fan and he is poor. He is worse than Lloris last season and that's saying something.

Last edited:
Sir flaps a lot is possibly the worst professional goal keeper I've ever seen.

I feel for him because I'm human. I can see the fear in his eyes.

But I'm also a spurs fan and he is shit. He is worse than Lloris last season and that's saying something.

One of the dumbest posts you’ve ever made on this forum. And that’s got some competition.

Imagine thinking that YOU can make a judgement call on any professional player, let alone on someone whose played one competitive game for us.

Bin voted for obvious trolling (or not a spurs fan).

Grow up.

One of the dumbest posts you’ve ever made on this forum. And that’s got some competition.

Imagine thinking that YOU can make a judgement call on any professional player, let alone on someone whose played one competitive game for us.

Grow up.
Wow! That's some claim! He'll never beat, "It'll end up being the husband."

Grow up.

You'll see.

Guy isn't going to make it in the Premier league.

Its as obvious as the leotards you wear to get choked out on.

He is shocking.

There is an argument to say it's confidence. But I've crunched the numbers and it's not that. He's just not going to make it.

You'll see.

You've crunched no numbers, and you are trolling.

Have a nice day.

You too.

I genuinely believe we have bought a dud.

I remember seeing the first half he played in Australia. And I never watch friendlies just happened to glance at the screen. But I became memorised at sir flaps a lot running about in his goal area as crosses came in.

As a goalie you don't need a pre season to learn where to stand for a cross.

It is early doors but it's more hope than evidence that he makes it.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

I've just had to check.. I just assumed that Brentford's second was an own goal.. watching the game and the replays post goal.. surely it was the deflection of our man that left our keeper little or no chance.

Not sure why this debate has to be 'all or nothing'. It's far too early to be making a judgement, especially on a player who had a very decent season in Serie A last year - so he deserves time. It's also reasonable to think that if he really does look shaky as we head into the Xmas period then the club considers getting someone else if there are options on the market.

We know that the high press and high line will mean we concede plenty of chances to direct counter-attacks, and Vicario's selection is almost certainly down to his high % of shot stopping for Empoli. He doesn't appear to be error prone (1 error leading to goal last season) but he's up against a very different type of situation at Spurs where he'll need to come out of his goal often as a sweeper. None of us know whether he'll be good at that yet - but I suspect we'll find out soon enough.

I think he will be. Forster will be number 1 by Nov and My Byrite will be looking for a new keeper in Jan

Buy cheap and buy twice

That's a great gag. Mr Byrite. Levy worked in the family business founded by Abraham Levy. I used to buy clothes from Mr Byrite in Southend in the 1970s when in my teens.
I remember a dark blue suit. Not the best quality !!

Mr Byrite....yep that's Levy.

We should've clearly gone the entire pre-season without a starting keeper, negotiating with Brentford until they finally reduce the fee days before the first game of the season, I'm sure you would've loved that.
We went the whole pre season with Harry Kane up front while Richarlison was in the B team and with our first choice LCB not joining until 3 training sessions before the season. We bought Lloris after the season started and he became one of our greatest ever players.

I have high hopes for Vicario but watching the money being slung around, I don't really buy that Raya was wildly overpriced.

Fans can be terrible. He’s not looked world class but he’s not looked bad either. Give him time and give him your support - that’s what being a fan is. Goalkeepers need confidence more than any other position and the amount of toxic scepticism here will do nothing for him.

There's a lot of toxic "fans" on this site, unfortunately. But completely agree with you.

I think he will be. Forster will be number 1 by Nov and My Byrite will be looking for a new keeper in Jan

Buy cheap and buy twice
You also emphatically stated that he wouldn't be the keeper for our opening match.
Lets see how the Zomb on Vicario table is looking at this early stage in the season...

Right
Remains to be seen
Wrong
0​
0​
1​

A deflection and a pen. Other than that he was fine. I'm not getting the hate. He's barely played and that was his first prem game in a rocking oppo's stadium.

We didn't go for Raya so there's a few folk taking it out on Vic. It doesn't help that he's got that look of a kid who's coked up on sherbert dip dabs. He's young and he's taking over from the former and well-respected Spurs/French captain which adds even more weight of responsibility.

Give the guy some time.

Back
Top Bottom